Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I crazy for not knowing what Peter Wright actually did wrong or what he could have done differently?

Not react in that way to a foolhardy medium defender with a death wish going for what’s known in the classics as a ‘hospital ball’ for a reason.

Surely I’m not the only one that finds the gws social media tripe not at all funny.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some of it is funny but like most social media they hammer it to death to the point where it's all a bit cringeworthy.

Credit where credit is due though the GWS stuff is better than the stuff put together by our 12yo work experience kids......

Am I crazy for not knowing what Peter Wright actually did wrong or what he could have done differently?
This is what Peter Wright should've done

Take the ******* mark. Protecting himself? Gimme a break, he's on the move and he's going to smash through any Sydney opponent that drops into the hole.

Some of it is funny but like most social media they hammer it to death to the point where it's all a bit cringeworthy.

Credit where credit is due though the GWS stuff is better than the stuff put together by our 12yo work experience kids......

The GWS social media team are a thousand more times creative than the crap ours produce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Wrights hit was classic "make em earn it". He didn't set out on the run with the intention of hurting his opponent but in that split second where he couldn't directly get the ball I'm sure he thought I'll make my presence felt. On the SPP scale, 6 weeks? With this AFL who knows?

How has this 'protecting yourself' garbage been allowed to enter into the mainstream discussion around these types of cases? Players go into contests all the time and compete and clash bodies without 'protecting themselves'. It's total garbage.

Surely I’m not the only one that finds the gws social media tripe not at all funny.

If it was us I'd hate it, as its a new franchise it doesn't matter.

So can anyone tell me what they think Wright should have done in that instant that he realised someone was running into his line?

Realistically.

I'm taking crazy pills.

He led straight for the ball with eyes on it. Someone else just veered in to his path and at the last minute he braces.

If Wright gets knocked out there does Cunningham get weeks off?

I dunno I'm all for punishing the idiots like Maynard, but this one is just so hard to see another option. I reckon if he was in a Port jumper there would be a few more on here defending him too.

I'm taking crazy pills.

He led straight for the ball with eyes on it. Someone else just veered in to his path and at the last minute he braces.

If Wright gets knocked out there does Cunningham get weeks off?

I dunno I'm all for punishing the idiots like Maynard, but this one is just so hard to see another option. I reckon if he was in a Port jumper there would be a few more on here defending him too.
If this is your take then you are taking crazy pills, and they're working. At no point did he even outstretch his arms to attempt a mark. That was his (very obvious) alternative.

Last edited:
Wrights is an unlucky one i reckon, no malice, just went hard for a mark and a player has dropped into his space. Different types of play but feels like a similar wrong place at the wrong time like SPP's.

the Webster incident being 7 i absolutely support, but Wright and SPP getting 4 matches i think is harsh.

If this is your take then you are taking crazy pills, and they're working. At no point did he even outstretch his arms to attempt a mark. That was his (very obvious) alternative.

Exactly. You still have a duty of care to your opponent, and it's pretty foreseeable that if you turn side on with the shoulder tucked into the hip, it's gonna smash the campaigner.

You can't just go, "well I didn't wanna get hurt, so I just went with the classic hip and shoulder pose and knocked the guy into next week"

He either needed to:
A) attempt the mark
B) if he didn't think he was gonna be able to mark it, use his arms to reduce to the impact

Exactly. You still have a duty of care to your opponent, and it's pretty foreseeable that if you turn side on with the shoulder tucked into the hip, it's gonna smash the campaigner.

You can't just go, "well I didn't wanna get hurt, so I just went with the classic hip and shoulder pose and knocked the guy into next week"

He either needed to:
A) attempt the mark
B) if he didn't think he was gonna be able to mark it, use his arms to reduce to the impact
I'd rather smash the other campaigner than myself.

You are allowed to attempt a chest mark though. Outstretched arms in this instance could result in breaking an arm. I genuinely think this is a play on the ball until the very last split second and I don’t think it’s fair to suspend players for significant periods of time for that type of time frame in decision making.

He either needed to:
A) attempt the mark

You are allowed to attempt a chest mark though. Outstretched arms in this instance could result in breaking an arm. I genuinely think this is a play on the ball until the very last split second and I don’t think it’s fair to suspend players for significant periods of time for that type of time frame in decision making.
Interpretations have changed post Maynard. It's no longer enough to say 'well from the point I recklessly launched myself into the air, I had no choice but to knock my opponent into next week'. Players now have a responsibility not to recklessly launch themselves into the air and put themselves in that position in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back