Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the dumbest things that gets repeated ad nauseam whenever this drugs discussion surfaces is the idea that AFL players are just normal 20-something guys doing what normal 20-something guys do and that they're just a microcosm of the community at large. This is an utterly absurd notion.

Normal 20-something guys don't work in an industry where the average salary is upwards of $400k. Normal 20-something guys work real jobs in the real world getting paid real wages and then go out with their mates on the weekend to let their hair down. Normal 20-something guys don't have access to doctors and psychologists on tap should they have mental health issues. Normal 20-something guys aren't role models to kids who idolise their every movement.

AFL players are NOT normal 20-something guys and the expectations placed on them should NOT be commensurate with other 20-something guys.

One of the dumbest things that gets repeated ad nauseam whenever this drugs discussion surfaces is the idea that AFL players are just normal 20-something guys doing what normal 20-something guys do and that they're just a microcosm of the community at large. This is an utterly absurd notion.

Normal 20-something guys don't work in an industry where the average salary is upwards of $400k. Normal 20-something guys work real jobs in the real world getting paid real wages and then go out with their mates on the weekend to let their hair down. Normal 20-something guys don't have access to doctors and psychologists on tap should they have mental health issues. Normal 20-something guys aren't role models to kids who idolise their every movement.

AFL players are NOT normal 20-something guys and the expectations placed on them should NOT be commensurate with other 20-something guys.

There’s certainly a big sense of entitlement. I’ll take all the benefits without any of the responsibilities thanks.

It drove me nuts during the covid-affected seasons listening to some players whine about having to be away from home for a bit while getting paid many times the average wage. Meanwhile the regular joe was still doing their regular job under similar duress but for much much less. If they still had a job that is.

There’s certainly a big sense of entitlement. I’ll take all the benefits without any of the responsibilities thanks.

It drove me nuts during the covid-affected seasons listening to some players whine about having to be away from home for a bit while getting paid many times the average wage. Meanwhile the regular joe was still doing their regular job under similar duress but for much much less. If they still had a job that is.
Away from home in nice hotels with their mates and everything taken care of. Horrendous.

Most dont even have kids yet lol.

Last edited:

the strange thing is, it’s only a few that tar them all.

The Dangerfields, Cotchins, Riewoldts types that used their regular media spots to push how hard done by they are. I think regular players would just get on with it.

The image of the Cotchins running around a Queensland resort, Mrs Cotchin sitting next to a pool having a fat time under minimal restrictions whilst the rest of Victoria was under some harsh draconian measures that would make Uncle Kim proud really highlights it.

And somehow, some Richmond players got into a fight whilst at a night club… whilst all Victorian nightclubs were shut down going broke.

But still, they were hard done by….

How Dangerfield’s name was floated to join the commission is beyond me. Probably jobs for the boys.

Last edited:
the strange thing is, it’s only a few that tar them all.

The Dangerfields, Cotchins, Riewoldts types that used their regular media spots to push how hard done by they are. I think regular players would just get on with it.

The image of the Cotchins running around a Queensland resort, Mrs Cotchin sitting next to a pool having a fat time under minimal restrictions whilst the rest of Victoria was under some harsh draconian measures that would make Uncle Kim proud really highlights it.

And somehow, some Richmond players got into a fight whilst at a night club… whilst all Victorian nightclubs were shut down going broke.

But still, they were hard done by….

How Dangerfield’s name was floated to join the commission is beyond me. Probably jobs for the boys.
The one little defence I'll say for Danger is whether he should or not he often speaks for all players. So often in situations like this he isn't speaking for himself but speaking on behalf of players as a whole as a player rep or whatever. He doesn't seem the time to be a whiny prick on his own (I mean he left the tingles and their "all dickheads policy" some time ago).

The one little defence I'll say for Danger is whether he should or not he often speaks for all players. So often in situations like this he isn't speaking for himself but speaking on behalf of players as a whole as a player rep or whatever. He doesn't seem the time to be a whiny prick on his own (I mean he left the tingles and their "all dickheads policy" some time ago).
Dangerfield is very well spoken and I suspect he is well connect and savvy political operator.

That would have been developed whilst he was in charge of the player’s association.

Reminds me of Steve Adams reaction when being asked what it was like inside the bubble:

Lol not adding up is it. The AFL go "yeah this whole thing is not a secret its by design!"

Then current admin and recent coaches are all like "what the *"

The AFL is dealing with players behind the clubs backs or what? Seems the only organisation who knows about it is the league itself.

It sort of feels like the suspicion around players being held out due to recreational drug strikes has been around for quite a while, I can remember a few years ago rumours around Lance Franklin being held out for that reason were circulating among some of my friend groups.

This feels like another open secret which has finally become scandal. The AFL executive would have absolutely known and endorsed the practice. Michael Warner's book really shed a lot of light on the clandestine way the AFL goes about massaging their image and trying to control the outcome and narrative, the fact that no one is surprised the AFL would conduct business that way says a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back