Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember that players were different shapes and sizes back then. Almost all players these days are lean and athletic whereas back then not everyone was a run all day athlete. The switch to drafting athletes over footballers really enabled the sort of tactics we see in today's game.
That, and if any players tried zoning and guarding space in front of you, you could just knock them in to next week, or month.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

That, and if any players tried zoning and guarding space in front of you, you could just knock them in to next week, or month.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
This notion that it was the wild west and no one ever got through games without losing players is garbage though.

So why isn’t John Cahill a legend?

4x Premierships
4x BnFs
Port captian
All Australian
10x Premierships as coach

Inaugural Port AFL coach, Port BnF named after him….

(Jock McHale Medal only really means something in the AFL era, otherwise Cahill should have 10 of them)

Completely different question unrelated to Jeza.

Completely different question unrelated to Jeza.
I respectfully disagree.

If Jeza is deemed a “legend” then so should Cahill.

But Cahill is deemed not a “legend” then neither should Jeza. As their achievements are very similar.

This is why the “legend” status in the hall of fame is devalued. There are too many “legends” and inductees are held to different standards.

i was listening to 5AA 10 mins before they crossed to our game and Rowe seriously said something close to "we're now 1-4 that's a great jumping off point"

I respectfully disagree.

If Jeza is deemed a “legend” then so should Cahill.

But Cahill is deemed not a “legend” then neither should Jeza. As their achievements are very similar.

This is why the “legend” status in the hall of fame is devalued. There are too many “legends” and inductees are held to different standards.

It seems to get in if you're from "interstate" you basically have to be the GOAT of that state. If you're a Vic the bar is a bit lower. Ebert and I think Barrie Robran is in so that's probably their SA quota done.

Embarrassing he’s still on the radio, people like him old man Cornes and KG give the state a bad rap.
As Foghorn Leghorn used to say, "That boy's about as sharp as a bowling ball."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JACOB van Rooyen has secured his future as a Demon, putting pen to paper on a four-year contract extension with the club.
The 21-year-old, who was already locked in for next season, agreed to terms on Tuesday, with the new deal set to take his tenure through until at least the end of 2029.

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Most of em in there seem like no brainers but there's a few I'm not sure about.. KB, Darrel Baldock, Jezza, Royce hart?

Would jezza be in there if it wasn't for JEZAULENKO YOU BEAUTY
About 30 years ago (when I was in my early 20s), I was talking to a guy at the pub who was perhaps 10 or 15 years older than me....subject came up about who was better CHF - Carey or Hart.

Much to my my surprise he was fairly adamant that Hart was better.

Adrain Anderson having a mare at Charlie Cameron's tribunal hearing tonite...

Earlier, Adrian Anderson referred to Jordan Dawson's tackle on Carlton No.4 Lochie O'Brien.

The AFL points out O'Brien was "unfortunately delisted" at the end of last year and the player tackled was Ollie Hollands.

Anderson has to trot along to another case now, before the outcome of this one is handed down.

Yeah he would.

4 premierships.
Jock McHale Medal.
2 All Australian
Carlton Captain.
Coach of 3 clubs.

The Mark part of Australian football folklore.

Builds a solid case overall.
State skipper.
Magpies leading goalkicker on a few occasions.

Agree he should be a Legend, but the HoF has strange criteria that they apply when deciding who to elevate. It's based on either your playing record or your coaching record, not both.

People like Fos, Jack, Oatey, Kerley et al were great coaches as well as excellent players, and if you look at their combined contribution of excellence in the sphere of their sport, the reasons for ranking them at the highest level are absolutely compelling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back