Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
The Age: "the third former Docker to die before reaching the age of 30 in the past six years"
That's what I thought the number was when I read the, a lot comment.

I remember Shane Yarren, but forgot the name of the other player who passed away a couple of years ago, who I saw Ross Lyon talk about, a couple of weeks ago. That player was Harley Balic.

Its not a lot numerically, but its shocking that its 3 x under 30 players have passed away who were elite athletes, so its highly unlikely its about a physical health issue, eg heart issue, but more about addiction and/or mental health.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this tweet this morning and after hearing about it on SEN all the time and I think I might actually use it tonight and Sync up SEN's call on the app and cut out BT, JB, Abbey and co. But if Dwayne Russell is calling it might not be on for long.

I completely forgot the SEN Blues Radio Call was on. I only watched the last quarter on TV but probably would have had it on all game, given what they did on the Blues radio call last week against Collingwood and replayed bits on SEN this week. The despair post Daicos match winner was entertaining.

Pity there wont be a similar Port Radio call but AA with Tim and Tredders is biased, but not synched up.

Ok so last night I missed out on this. Its like a Port Big Footy board game day thread.

And this great contrast between the SEN's straight call and Blues Radio - Andy Maher over the top, Sam Edmund - who plays it pretty straight during the week as the sports reporter but hams it up, and Ange and Kouta with special comments.

Last edited:
The AFL and its clubs can carry on about what wonderful people they are and how much amazing work they do in the community and give themselves a pat on the back for being morally superior on whatever the social issue of the day is but the number of ex players taking their own lives says absolutely everything about the industry and how much it looks after its own people once they exit the boys club.

That's what I thought the number was when I read the, a lot comment.

I remember Shane Yarren, but forgot the name of the other player who passed away a couple of years ago, who I saw Ross Lyon talk about, a couple of weeks ago. That player was Harley Balic.

Its not a lot numerically, but its shocking that its 3 x under 30 players have passed away who were elite athletes, so its highly unlikely its about a physical health issue, eg heart issue, but more about addiction and/or mental health.
If you're not looking at the "under 30" its actually 4 players with Colin Sylvia dying in a car crash at 32 in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back