Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Dixon 1064 watts, Ruby Schleicher (AFLW) 800 or so on the bike max power output. One is a retired male 46y old hasnt exercised in over 15 years. The other is an elite womens athlete in her prime.

Andrew Gaze at 58 years old and hardly exercises, was even in punching power with the current world number 2 woman boxer.

Goes to show the sheer difference in physiology and output between AFL and AFLW, even if AFLW reaches its absolute peak in professionalism.

I mean, that stuff is pretty obvious. It's why the best womens tennis players in the world probably wouldn't be in the top 1000 mens players. But when you get skill level near enough to on par with the mens game, you still get a great spectacle. That's where AFLW needs to get to ultimately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good thing.
I have said repeatedly that I have no problem with females playing footy, even though they are terrible at it, it is comically bad and their bodies are not fit for purpose. Knock yourselves out. I just despise the AFL packaging it up as something that it's not - Good. It's ****ing horrendous.

I've said it before, they went down the same road as the WNBA (flipping whose big idea was that) and suffered exactly the same results. Advertising something that it is clearly not and then making all your broadcast partners tow the same message or cut access and you generate the derision yourself. That and Gil killed it before it started by rushing before the state leagues were even up and going so there was no pathway, just to check it off for his legacy before he left

Tennis doesn't try and be the men's game and it never has (besides billy Jeans crusade). Women's tennis, especially because it's tight at the top feels like it gets better rivalries as they are more likely to meet at the pointy end of tournaments etc and you get a real clash of styles.

Anyway, I think the AFLs biggest issue is the participation of females in the lower grades isn't anything like advertised either. It had a surge with the AFLW generated hype when it started but it's a barren out there now trying to get numbers together from what I have experienced.

Plot twist: My daughter plays footy for her school.
Do you spend the whole game telling her she's shit at football and you'd rather be at your son's game like you do here?

Last edited:
Also lol Fogharty for choking that last kick and hitting the behind post

They should play that on the big screen during training.

Anyone who wants to do away with the draw needs emotional counselling. "It feels weird, I cant cope without the gratification I get from the other 99% of games". Oh ok, you'd be more satisfied if you played an extra 10 minutes and lose, then?

All draws do is rob you of a good finish. Golden point yesterday would've been fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back