Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott goes on 5 minute rant about umpiring that would see any other coach fined.

He gets a meeting with the umpire's boss where they probably apologised.

Scott's rant even got a mention in Roy and HG's NRL focussed Sydney show this morning - Rampaging Roy laughing at Scott saying coaches shouldn't blame the umpires after spending 5 minutes in his press conference doing exactly that.

Geez we've had some funny draws, just off the top of my head, bad kicking and ;etting a team comeback has been involved in most of them:
Brisbane 1997 at the Gabba, let a strong lead slip away.
Brisbane 1998 at the Gabba, another strong lead slip, Dew horrendous kick out straight to Shaun Hart late in the game.
Geelong 2000 at Aami 12.6 to 10.18, woeful kicking cost us that win. 10 more scoring shots!!
Cartlon 2005 at Aami 16.13 to 15.19, poor kicking cost us again, especially the last quarter.
Richmond 2012 at the MCG 16.10 to 16.10, probably the only draw we've had that didn't feel like a loss. Poor year so draw felt as good as a win at the time and we had to come from behind this time around late in the game.

*West coast at AO for the Elimination final too. regular time draw and poor 9.6 to 8.12, poor kicking again.
I’ve been saying Port have been kicking shyt for goals well before Hinkley

Scott's rant even got a mention in Roy and HG's NRL focussed Sydney show this morning - Rampaging Roy laughing at Scott saying coaches shouldn't blame the umpires after spending 5 minutes in his press conference doing exactly that.
Not sure if youse get it broadcasted in the Southern States, and though it's mainly NRL discussions & banter.
Roy & Hg - Bludging on the Blindside is a must listen on Saturday's from midday, especially on road trips :)

Port should ask for their 100k back. Not to the AFL but ask it in the media.

But watch us be soft and say nothing.
The difference is that Port admitted they did not do the concussion test (when they should have) and Geelong did do the test.

BUT and introduced in 2013, the concussion test is supposed to go for 20 minutes. That is, a player can not play for 20 minutes if they are suspected of having a concussion. IF THIS REQUIREMENT IS STILL IN, then WHY IS NOT GEELONG BEING ROASTED FOR IT

Last edited:
The difference is that Port admitted they did not do the concussion test (when they should have) and Geelong did do the test.
Port did do an HIA though, on the bench even, but not the SCAT5. Geelong apparently did a pissweak HIA on the ground and obviously didn't do a SCAT5, and that's okay.

I reckon half this board wanted our Club Doctor hung, drawn and quartered for the Allir-Jones collision and then there was another large portion that even thought our penalty was too soft. But it was obvious then and even more obvious now we were being made an example of, and the trial by Media certainly didn't help. Plenty of Crows supporting neurologist that came out of the woodwork too. But we've now had multiple similar cases since where there is nothing to see here.

We wonder why our players roll over and die so easily when under any pressure when our supporter base does the same. We no doubt erred on the opposite side of caution with Allir because we wanted to win an important game of footy and that has been happening in the entire history of competitive sport, we are getting better at it but the Cameron example is another case where the win at all cost mentality prevailed over player safety. I'm not saying it is right but never understood why Port got so harshly punished for something that still happens quite regularly.

Anything come about the Liberatore collapse and continue playing.

Here's probably an unpopular opinion, I didn't have a problem with most of what Chris Scott said. I wish Port had an articulate coach who was willing to make such statements

If the exact reverse happened, we'd be furious with 360° tackles not being called, and the non-advantage goal. Then we'd be livid if the Bell Park Ball Sack just said yeah nah you gotta be lucky sometimes hurrr hurr

Here's probably an unpopular opinion, I didn't have a problem with most of what Chris Scott said. I wish Port had an articulate coach who was willing to make such statements

If the exact reverse happened, we'd be furious with 360° tackles not being called, and the non-advantage goal. Then we'd be livid if the Bell Park Ball Sack just said yeah nah you gotta be lucky sometimes hurrr hurr
I agree. He was articulate and respectful. All coaches should be able to voice their opinion in that manner.

Im in the same camp as you, I didn’t feel it was self indulgent and man the umps cost us.

In the 360 degree tackles, if they tackle isn’t stuck properly well it doesn’t get paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im in the same camp as you, I didn’t feel it was self indulgent and man the umps cost us.

In the 360 degree tackles, if they tackle isn’t stuck properly well it doesn’t get paid.
People need to get over the 360 degree tackle thing. It was an interpretation, not a rule, that was introduced maybe 10-12 years ago, and stopped being used probably 8-9 years ago.

Not sure if youse get it broadcasted in the Southern States, and though it's mainly NRL discussions & banter.
Roy & Hg - Bludging on the Blindside is a must listen on Saturday's from midday, especially on road trips :)
Yep - it gets replayed on the ABC Sport streaming station on Monday mornings, which is where I heard it.

Have zero interest in NRL but just love the way Pickhaver and Doyle work off each other. Even though most of what they say is made up BS for comedic effect, it makes more sense than a lot of commentary you get elsewhere.

Pickhaver is an Adelaide boy so the real footy often gets a mention.

I stream it.

Edit: As Festerz posted

People need to get over the 360 degree tackle thing. It was an interpretation, not a rule, that was introduced maybe 10-12 years ago, and stopped being used probably 8-9 years ago.
The rule (18.6.2) is that when tackled a player must dispose of the ball immediately. The AFL has come to interpret that as "immediately the best option is presented". As a result we see a player being tackled and spun 360 degrees or more while searching for a teammate to be able to handball to.

The rule (18.6.2) is that when tackled a player must dispose of the ball immediately. The AFL has come to interpret that as "immediately the best option is presented". As a result we see a player being tackled and spun 360 degrees or more while searching for a teammate to be able to handball to.
Meanwhile - the point Scott was making - the tackler can't dump or sling the tacklee anymore

Makes sense to avoid unsafe tackles, umpires should blow the whistle promptly (whether htb or ball up). Players will learn to dispose of ball quickly, overall game will improve

This is something that's been said for ages

This rule only applies in the case where a player has been tackled after having a prior opportunity to dispose of the ball.

The vast majority of times that people are complaining "he was spun 360" are an instance when the player did not have a prior opportunity.

But on this, the AFL umpiring interpretation is way too lenient on allowing players to try and fight their way out of a tackle. They should be calling stoppages much quicker than they are. Which is what forcers tacklers to have to try and take a player to the ground.

That non advantage goal wouldn't even rank in our top 20 umpire reaming decisions of the past decade.

Time off had been blown anyway I hadn't it?

Western Bulldogs draftee Aiden O’Driscoll (pick 55 2023 from WA) has been forced into retirement due to concussion. He recently met with the AFL’s concussion panel after he was knocked out at training in January. Drafted in November, his AFL dream is over inside six months.
There must be prior history of concussions before he was drafted surely?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back