Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Kick 15.10 and get done by more than ten goals, wow, just wow, not often we witness a 41 goal game. are Geelong cooked, don't think so if they can kick 15 goals, are Gold coast amazing, WTF knows. not sure what to make of it.

You don't have to make anything of it.

There's this thing in AFL where an overarching conclusion needs to be drawn from every game. The winner is on track for a flag and the loser might as well start the rebuild.

Sometimes games are just random individual occurrences which bear no relation to the overall narrative of the season. I suspect last night will turn out to be that.

Jed's defensive pressure was so good that it's carried over to this week. Either that or what he did last week wasn't actually that amazing.

Or maybe it's because the game was played in extreme humidity and Geelong as a team took a total of 49 marks.

That's still 2 minimum for every player and I suspect Tom Stewart is usually one of their leading players in that statistic.

Cool. The only conclusion that can possibly be drawn is that Tom Stewart is now a spud. Thanks BigFooty, you've enlightened me again!

I never said he was a spud, in fact I said he was a gun player. I just pointed out it was unusual he didn't take one mark in a game where his team was under siege in defense. I didn't even watch the game so I have no idea if he was playing down back or they tried to use him in the wing again.

Taking calculated risk to drop a game, in order to preserve an aging list. He knows that he has to get them to the end in one piece, if he is to have any chance. Reckon this is the last dance with this list.

Are you suggesting that Geelong made a decision not to try their best to win?

I believe they called that tanking.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have a point if Tom Stewart's 0 marks was the result of him dropping them. It wasn't.

It was the result of his opponents getting the ball and kicking big bags of goals.

So again, to clarify, this board believes Tom Stewart - who has made the All Australian team 5 times in the past 6 years - is no longer a good footballer and that him playing poorly last week is a result of that rather than Jed doing a good job on Stewart.

Extraordinary, even by BigFooty standards.

Nah, fair play, im not Jed's biggest fan either but he had a good game last week, even if the stats don't tell it. Stewart normally kills us and is a gun player. It's kind of remarkable he didn't take one mark last night though. Especially when the ball was down in the Suns forward line so much.
He dropped four last night I can recall that normally he plucks.

Maybe 2 consecutive weeks of being tagged by one guy, and targetted by every player in the oppo side whenever they get near him, jangled his jollies enough that he lost his normal composure?

Or maybe he just played two bad ones in a row. It happens to everyone at some stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back