Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thought Thebby wasn't a bad option for the Crows. The place has a bit of soul which that club sorely lacks, is central and could be spruced to be a very good facility. What fu**s them is getting back into bed with the SANFL. Its like moving back in with your angry, controlling, early onset Alzheimer suffering parents at age 40.

It’s a terrible location from a gameday perspective. Brompton was perfect with both train and tram access to/from Adelaide Oval. Thebby is in No Man’s Land and they’ll have to contend with South Rd works for a while. It’s certainly not ideal.

It’s a terrible location from a gameday perspective. Brompton was perfect with both train and tram access to/from Adelaide Oval. Thebby is in No Man’s Land and they’ll have to contend with South Rd works for a while. It’s certainly not ideal.

How many people go back to Alberton on game day? The whole go back to the club after the game is a red herring. They'll play their SANFL and AWFL games there. Its perfect for that. Thebarton is just about in the geographical centre of Adelaide. Equally accessible from North, South, East and West. Yes the South Road works will be an issue, but they are used to training at a work sites.

Always thought Thebby wasn't a bad option for the Crows. The place has a bit of soul which that club sorely lacks, is central and could be spruced to be a very good facility. What fu**s them is getting back into bed with the SANFL. Its like moving back in with your angry, controlling, early onset Alzheimer suffering parents at age 40.
It’s not bad, but it’s not as good for them as Brompton would have been, especially as they’ll be tenants of the SANFL.

They’d be better off developing West Lakes, they can at least claim a history there.

How many people go back to Alberton on game day? The whole go back to the club after the game is a red herring. They'll play their SANFL and AWFL games there. Its perfect for that. Thebarton is just about in the geographical centre of Adelaide. Equally accessible from North, South, East and West. Yes the South Road works will be an issue, but they are used to training at a work sites.

Alberton’s about as appealing as West Lakes location wise. If the One Port Road base ever got off the ground heaps of people would’ve gone if they held events especially in lieu of the GDV. It’s literally on the way to AO if you’re using the tram.

Brompton is just as central as Thebarton but it will always have better PT. Thebby will be a ghost town for years and when they finally finish the tunnel the access into Ashwin Parade will be garbage.

It’s not even a debate. They clearly wanted Brompton over Thebarton.

It’s not bad, but it’s not as good for them as Brompton would have been, especially as they’ll be tenants of the SANFL.

They’d be better off developing West Lakes, they can at least claim a history there.
The Camry Crows have plenty of history at Thebarton going back to 1990. Their formation resulted in the insolvent West Torrens Football Club merging with Woodville and moving to Oval Avenue leaving Thebarton Oval vacant for the Camry Crows to now move into.

Alberton’s about as appealing as West Lakes location wise. If the One Port Road base ever got off the ground heaps of people would’ve gone if they held events especially in lieu of the GDV. It’s literally on the way to AO if you’re using the tram.

Brompton is just as central as Thebarton but it will always have better PT. Thebby will be a ghost town for years and when they finally finish the tunnel the access into Ashwin Parade will be garbage.

It’s not even a debate. They clearly wanted Brompton over Thebarton.
I get that. They wanted sovereignty, but given the money involved it was always a bride too far. I'm just saying, outside of being back under the SANFLS clutches again (something they don't really want) I don't think its an awful outcome for them.

I get that. They wanted sovereignty, but given the money involved it was always a bride too far. I'm just saying, outside of being back under the SANFLS clutches again (something they don't really want) I don't think its an awful outcome for them.

Well there is a dump on the other side of South Rd so the next Jake Lever won’t need to go far to recycle his training gear.

How is thebarton getting back in to bed with the sanfl? Isn’t that the Adelaide footy league headquarters?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
SANFL is the head leaseholder for Thebarton Oval.

They recently received $17 million in grants from State, Federal and Local Governments for a redevelopment of the oval infrastructure costing $18m (the AFL was the majority funder of the remaining $1m balance).

Lol

How many times in the past decade has an interstate company bought / leased land in Sa with not an eyelid batted (and why would you… it’s routine) but this time Adelaidenow wants to paint it as some outrageous travesty committed against the state.

That Adelaide fans continue to deny that their balls are cupped by a useless media of connected private schoolboys gobbing off their bosses nuts who are gobbing off some other dudes nuts in a somehow more disturbing human centipede of middle aged dinosaurs that encircles and encompasses everything that is wrong with the state is mind boggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SANFL says it welcomes the Crows focusing on Thebarton Oval as a new base after its bid for the Brompton Gasworks site was rejected, but that a second oval will need to be found.

The State Government yesterday announced it had selected a Melbourne-based developer to remediate the Brompton site for housing, a hotel, shops, offices and open space, dashing the Adelaide Football Club’s hopes of moving from West Lakes to a new base just outside the CBD.

That Adelaide fans continue to deny that their balls are cupped by a useless media of connected private schoolboys gobbing off their bosses nuts who are gobbing off some other dudes nuts in a somehow more disturbing human centipede of middle aged dinosaurs that encircles and encompasses everything that is wrong with the state is mind boggling.

Funny you should mention that - not that I can read it any more, but this is the lead story on Adelaide Now this morning:

1643324059100.png

The SANFL says it welcomes the Crows focusing on Thebarton Oval as a new base after its bid for the Brompton Gasworks site was rejected, but that a second oval will need to be found.

The State Government yesterday announced it had selected a Melbourne-based developer to remediate the Brompton site for housing, a hotel, shops, offices and open space, dashing the Adelaide Football Club’s hopes of moving from West Lakes to a new base just outside the CBD.
Lol.

When the SANFL welcome it, you know the Crows are getting screwed.

I dont get why they would be rushing out of west lakes into thebby

Just wait it out, wait until the roadworks are finished

EDIT

If someone can tell me why there is this push to leave west lakes and go to another construction site genuinely give me the reasons

Last edited:

They say that the reason for moving out of West Lakes is because they need a CBD or city fringe base to be able to better engage with their fans. Moving to Thebarton doesn't really meet that need. They were so confident that they were going to be given land in the parklands that now they need to move from West Lakes purely as some sort of face saving move. There is really no need for them to move out of their reasonable new rent free base at West Lakes.

Spot on! Although it’s been a while since I’ve been down West Lakes way, I’m sure with a bit of tasteful landscaping after the retirement complex has been completed, the crows could squeeze a further five years out of their current site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back