Review Port vs 31 free kicks to 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Can he also play on after taking a mark, and once tackled, instead of being pinged for HTB he can take his kick again.

It was interesting seeing rugby's interpretation of advantage applied to Geelong.

Does any of the clubs have the power to veto umpires for their matches? Should they have that opportunity to veto?
History lesson. The year, 1902. Courtesy Wikipedia.

Second Semi-final​

Monday, 1 September
Port Adelaide (Forfeit)
def. bySouth AdelaideAdelaide Oval
The second semi-final was forfeited by Port Adelaide owing to its objection to the appointment of umpire Phil Kneebone to the match.South Adelaide played a hastily arranged exhibition match against North Adelaide to entertain the spectators who had turned up.

History lesson. The year, 1902. Courtesy Wikipedia.

Second Semi-final​

Monday, 1 September
Port Adelaide (Forfeit)
def. bySouth AdelaideAdelaide Oval
The second semi-final was forfeited by Port Adelaide owing to its objection to the appointment of umpire Phil Kneebone to the match.South Adelaide played a hastily arranged exhibition match against North Adelaide to entertain the spectators who had turned up.

Safe to assume Koch not in charge back then

Not true. I don't enjoy us losing that's rubbish. I want the best for the club and if that means losing to move people on for the greater good and long-term success than so be it. The people pulling the strings at this club right now will never see success
I want change as well. I want Hinckley and ******** Koch GONE. But I don’t get off on when we lose. But yes, we agree on something that is for sure, we need to get rid of these pricks.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna need confirmation of the 'zero frees to PAFC' bit. I very much doubt that's true. If it is, it should be grounds for instant dismissal.
Dismissal by his employer, the AFL?

The fact that umpires putting in obviously biased performances never appear to be subject to any form of consequences by the AFL to me indicates that they are following instructions to engineer the results the AFL requires.

The Victorian government is pouring millions into Kardina Park, $142M for the latest stage, and they would expect their mates at the AFL to give them value for money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 15 v 0 means the 3 other umpires went 19 - 16 our way. That seems implausible.
Major questions if true.

If this claim is true, we can get a back-of-the-envelope guess of just how (un)likely it is to occur by random chance.

Let's look at the free kick stats for Port and Geelong prior to Saturday's game:
  • Port: 349 frees for, 399 frees against.
  • Geelong: 324 frees for, 337 frees against.
Per game, that's:
  • Port: 18.37 frees for, 21.00 frees against.
  • Geelong: 17.05 frees for, 17.74 frees against.
With four field umpires, per umpire per game, we have:
  • Port: 4.59 frees for, 5.25 frees against.
  • Geelong: 4.26 frees for, 4.43 frees against.
For simplicity's sake, let's assume that the free kicks awarded to each team are well modelled by a Poisson distribution.

To make things as favourable as possible for Hoskings, let's assume that:
  • Geelong's rate of 4.43 frees against per umpire per game is the correct rate at which Port should have accumulated frees in Saturday's game (this is, on average, fewer frees per umpire per game than Port had been awarded through the end of Round 20).
  • Port's rate of 5.25 frees against per umpire per game is the correct rate at which Geelong should have accumulated frees in Saturday's game (this is, on average, more frees per umpire per game than Geelong had been awarded through the end of Round 20).
The events of interest are:
  • Port being awarded 0 frees by an umpire given they are normally awarded frees at a rate of 4.43 free kicks per umpire per game.
  • Geelong being awarded 15 frees by an umpire given they are normally awarded frees at a rate 5.25 free kicks per umpire per game.
Again, for simplicity's sake, let's assume that these events are independent.

Then, we can ask: What is the probability that an umpire would produce a performance at least this unbalanced by random chance. By "at least this unbalanced", we mean, 15 or more free kicks to Geelong and 0 free kicks to Port.

I calculated that probability as 0.00000444. If you played Saturday's game a million times, you'd expect only 4.5 games where we get 0 frees and Geelong get 15+ from Hoskings.

The assumptions I've made (some unstated here) may be unreasonable, but it's difficult to imagine that the true probability is orders of magnitude greater than my estimate.

Now, that doesn't mean Hoskings has done anything dodgy (and, while the AFL is not far removed from an umpire integrity scandal, it would take more than an unsubstantiated claim and some quick maths to prove wilful misconduct or corruption), but it warrants a proper, forensic investigation.

Last edited:
If this claim is true, we can get a back-of-the-envelope guess of just how (un)likely it is to occur by random chance.

Let's look at the free kick stats for Port and Geelong prior to Saturday's game:
  • Port: 349 frees for, 399 frees against.
  • Geelong: 324 frees for, 337 frees against.
Per game, that's:
  • Port: 18.37 frees for, 21.00 frees against.
  • Geelong: 17.05 frees for, 17.74 frees against.
With four field umpires, per umpire per game, we have:
  • Port: 4.59 frees for, 5.25 frees against.
  • Geelong: 4.26 frees for, 4.43 frees against.
For simplicity's sake, let's assume that the free kicks awarded to each team are well modelled by a Poisson distribution.

To make things as favourable as possible for Hoskings, let's assume that:
  • Geelong's rate of 4.43 frees against per umpire per game is the correct rate at which Port should have accumulated frees in Saturday's game (this is, on average, fewer frees per umpire per game than Port had been awarded through the end of Round 20).
  • Port's rate of 5.25 frees against per umpire per game is the correct rate at which Geelong should have accumulated frees in Saturday's game (this is, on average, more frees per umpire per game than Geelong had been awarded through the end of Round 20).
The events of interest are:
  • Port being awarded 0 frees by an umpire given they are normally awarded frees at a rate of 4.43 free kicks per umpire per game.
  • Geelong being awarded 15 frees by an umpire given they are normally awarded frees at a rate 5.25 free kicks per umpire per game.
Again, for simplicity's sake, let's assume that these events are independent.

Then, we can ask: What is the probability that an umpire would produce a performance at least this unbalanced by random chance. By "at least this unbalanced", we mean, 15 or more free kicks to Geelong and 0 free kicks to Port.

I calculated that probability as 0.00000444. If you played Saturday's game a million times, you'd expect only 4.5 games where we get 0 frees and Geelong get 15+ from Hoskings.

The assumptions I've made (some unstated here) may be unreasonable, but it's difficult to imagine that the true probability is orders of magnitude greater than my estimate.

Now, that doesn't mean Hoskings has done anything dodgy (and, while the AFL is not far removed from an umpire integrity scandal, it would take more than an unsubstantiated claim and some quick maths to prove wilful misconduct or corruption), but it warrants a proper, forensic investigation.
The logic looks good to me but I haven't checked it.

Just going to post some random numbers on here. Make of them what you will.
No suggestion of any pattern or inference of corruption intended or to be inferred.

Rd 21 v Geelong, 19-31
Rd 16 v Essendon, 13-21
Rd 7 v St Kilda, 14-28

Rd 21 v Richmond, 19-20
Rd 18 v Melbourne, 13-15
Rd 10 v Geelong, 20-24
Rd 9 v Nth Melb, 18-25

Total
116-164 (41%-59%) (avg 16.6-23.4)

All other games
667-711 (48.5%-51.5%) (avg 19.1-20.3)

It's all starting to make sense now....

oZTzM4h.jpg

Duncan, Cameron and Rohan combined for 11 free kicks while conceding just 1.

On the flip side, Houston, Powell-Pepper and Lord conceded 8 free kicks while receiving just 1.

The only Port players on the ground to have a positive free kick count (more frees received than conceded) were Horne-Francis and Burgoyne. Geelong had 8 players in this category.

Now if Duncan, Cameron and Rohan had been playing on Houston, Powell-Pepper and Lord, it would kind of make sense. I think Houston and Duncan might have at some stages, but Lord vs Cameron and Powell-Pepper vs Rohan shows that an umpire down one end was paying frees to Geelong forwards while paying frees against Port Adelaide forwards. 7 frees to Geelong (Rohan and Cameron) + 5 frees against Port (Lord and Powell-Pepper) = 12 free kicks going Geelong’s way…the exact difference in the free kick count (19-31).

Duncan, Cameron and Rohan combined for 11 free kicks while conceding just 1.

On the flip side, Houston, Powell-Pepper and Lord conceded 8 free kicks while receiving just 1.

The only Port players on the ground to have a positive free kick count (more frees received than conceded) were Horne-Francis and Burgoyne. Geelong had 8 players in this category.

Now if Duncan, Cameron and Rohan had been playing on Houston, Powell-Pepper and Lord, it would kind of make sense. I think Houston and Duncan might have at some stages, but Lord vs Cameron and Powell-Pepper vs Rohan shows that an umpire down one end was paying frees to Geelong forwards while paying frees against Port Adelaide forwards. 7 frees to Geelong (Rohan and Cameron) + 5 frees against Port (Lord and Powell-Pepper) = 12 free kicks going Geelong’s way…the exact difference in the free kick count (19-31).
Duncan approaches every contest with one of his shoulders in a downwards position ready to flick it up, hes taken over from selwood. Should be absolutely buried in every tackle to teach him a lesson and never be paid a freekick ever again..

Just going to post some random numbers on here. Make of them what you will.
No suggestion of any pattern or inference of corruption intended or to be inferred.

Rd 21 v Geelong, 19-31
Rd 16 v Essendon, 13-21
Rd 7 v St Kilda, 14-28

Rd 21 v Richmond, 19-20
Rd 18 v Melbourne, 13-15
Rd 10 v Geelong, 20-24
Rd 9 v Nth Melb, 18-25

Total
116-164 (41%-59%) (avg 16.6-23.4)

All other games
667-711 (48.5%-51.5%) (avg 19.1-20.3)

Why leave out Collingwood from Round 2?