Review Port vs 31 free kicks to 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Publically complaining to the umpires just gives the players an out for a game they should've won if not for poor goal kicking and brain farts.

Sure complain privately to umpiring department but don't let dickheads like Kane know about it.

Publically complaining to the umpires just gives the players an out for a game they should've won if not for poor goal kicking and brain farts.

Sure complain privately to umpiring department but don't let dickheads like Kane know about it.
The club has shown it clearly doesn't care that wannabe bikie Chad Cornes is leaking s**t straight to his dickhead brother

I don't want to give anyone an out for the performances lately but we have been calling on Hinkley to say something about the umpires for some time now. It seems a bit churlish to complain about him doing so now.

I have no problem with it but do it privately, quietly without leaking to dickheads like Kane.

W eall need to stop this victim complex: we can blame the umpires but the fact is we lost because of our bad kicking.
For example, early in the last quarter we had the momentum and hit the lead and could have iced the game.
Then Wines missed a gimmie from 30 metres out; Lord missed a set shot from 45 metres and Rozee just missed his shot.
But for poor conversion we could have put the game out of there reach; from that point on Geelong dominated.
Where we e had a third of the team out and hopefully can expect a lot of these players to be available next week (where the Giants have two suspensions).

I had little footy expectations this year and now we are playing finals, finishing fourth place or better.
A double change, how good is that?

Let us move on and all get behind the team and enjoy the next half-a-dozen games.
So why aren't we allowed to win a close game because of our bad kicking and fair umpiring?

Because I saw the game playing out that our poor conversion made a good win a close game, and then saw borderline corrupt umpiring make a narrow win into a 3 goals loss.

And unlike our goal kicking, Ch 7 commentators can stick their non disparagement clause contracts straight up the middle of you know where. On what planet does Rozee get called for something Liberatore does a dozen times a game? Or Stewart's run into Lord front on will never be a non-call for the rest of the year? Except maybe when Darcy Moore does it again to Marshall in the first final at the G.

We don't give votes - must have been someone else.
I heard it, it may not be an official Radio station competition, but the female commentator named her best three players.
Tony Shaw asked her what about Butters (where she replied he was close).

Been saying it all year to my Crows colleagues that their rebuild team is not any different than our prime team.

True we had Dixon Lycett out, but over the next 12 mths we could likely have them both retire, also take out Jonas for Aliir, take out Boak for Bergman, and we'd be close to the youngest of the lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the intrusion, just wanted to say it’s nearly impossible to win down there. Geelong train and play at that ground, best advantage in the AFL, but they also seem to know how to play the umpires, because our experience since 2003 (our last win there) is that as soon as you get on top, they seem to draw free kicks and fifty metre penalties, to win the game.

The Bulldogs play there every year, and it’s an automatic four points to them. The inequality of the draw is that the big Victorian clubs don’t, although that is slowly changing with Essendon playing there this year and Richmond last year.

Good luck for the rest of the year, I would be really happy to see Boak with a premiership medal, one of my favourites.

Put this here too

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley contacted AFL umpire boss Dan Richardson to seek clarity around some of the decisions that went against his side in Saturday night’s loss to Geelong.
The Power lost the free kick count 31-19 in its 12-point defeat at GMHBA Stadium, which has Port Adelaide now out of the top two.

On Monday, Power assistant coach Chad Cornes revealed Hinkley had been in touch with Richardson.

“I know Kenny spoke to Dan Richardson to get clarity,” he said.

“Especially around some of the aerial contests and I think that vision has just come through to Kenny’s phone and we will have a look at it and see what we can take out of it.”

Chad’s brother Kane said on Monday one umpire alone paid 15 free kicks to Geelong.

Put this here too

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley contacted AFL umpire boss Dan Richardson to seek clarity around some of the decisions that went against his side in Saturday night’s loss to Geelong.
The Power lost the free kick count 31-19 in its 12-point defeat at GMHBA Stadium, which has Port Adelaide now out of the top two.

On Monday, Power assistant coach Chad Cornes revealed Hinkley had been in touch with Richardson.

“I know Kenny spoke to Dan Richardson to get clarity,” he said.

“Especially around some of the aerial contests and I think that vision has just come through to Kenny’s phone and we will have a look at it and see what we can take out of it.”

Chad’s brother Kane said on Monday one umpire alone paid 15 free kicks to Geelong.
apparently the ump that paid the was one of the GF umps from last year, so supposedly/allegedly a good ump, who in a GF probably puts the whistle away, yet not on saturday night.

cant think of a more corrupt comp.

apparently the ump that paid the was one of the GF umps from last year, so supposedly/allegedly a good ump, who in a GF probably puts the whistle away, yet not on saturday night.

cant think of a more corrupt comp.
I guess in the GF, the AFL has already made its money and has no particular axe to grind. That game was also so one-sided they didn't need umpiring assistance.

To me part of this issue interstate clubs have with umpires is shown in this exchange between Kane and Bucks:

“Did you ever pull that trigger and when did you know when to pull the trigger on contacting the umpires?”

Buckley: “Never.”

Cornes: “Never? You never once rang and sought clarification from the umpires as coach of the Pies.”

Buckley: “No, my energies were always internal with the players.

“The director of footy would call on occasions or the operations guy would call on occasions.

We had umpires down constantly, we were always an open-door policy, get the umpires in.

Even in the middle of a non-descript week where we’d have 15 minutes of a full-ground session, we would want the umpires down there.

That was so they could umpire and because we want to pick up on their interpretations on how they're viewing the game and to build that relationship with the umpires, the people who are on the ground.

“I would also take the time right there and then to talk with them at ground level about what they're seeing in the game and how they are adjudicating different parts of the game.”

So if you are a club in Melbourne, you basically have access to 90% of the umpires basically on a daily basis at trainings and the like. I guarantee this helps build relationships, understand better whats going on, and allows you to work on techniques etc to adjust to interpretations.

If you are Port/Adelaide etc, you might have access to 1/2 umpires if you are lucky (although I suspect they would be based in Melb for training - but dont know that) - so how are you meant to foster relationships and have ongoing dialog and learnings on the ever changing interpretations.

I remember back in the covid years, interstate clubs were banned from extra training sessions etc despite it being allowed under COVID rules to allow an even playing field for all clubs ... so why can Melbourne clubs have umpires on tap daily to work with and we might have fly ins one or twice a year to talk stuff over ?

If the umpires are truly full time, then as a minimum every umpire should be on a roster to visit the interstate clubs weekly if you are going to be fair dinkum ... or umpires should NOT be permitted to attend Melbourne training sessions.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back