Review Port vs 31 free kicks to 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. We were dominated in the contest. We didn’t deserve frees
interestingly, we haven't won a Contested possession count in the last 4 weeks and the CP count of 111 on the weekend was the lowest of the 4.

We've dropped off, and CP count shouldn't differ too much based on who is playing, it is a mindset and for whatever reason we aren't there at the moment. Which is all the more reason i find it baffling reading comments from supporters saying how proud they were of our effort on saturday night. if we actually brought more effort than 111 CP's we would've won.

I know this sort of plays in to the work hardery for longery simplistic view Ken has on the game, but it does seem to be a common theme that we generally win when we win the CP.

interestingly, we haven't won a Contested possession count in the last 4 weeks and the CP count of 111 on the weekend was the lowest of the 4.

We've dropped off, and CP count shouldn't differ too much based on who is playing, it is a mindset and for whatever reason we aren't there at the moment. Which is all the more reason i find it baffling reading comments from supporters saying how proud they were of our effort on saturday night. if we actually brought more effort than 111 CP's we would've won.

I know this sort of plays in to the work hardery for longery simplistic view Ken has on the game, but it does seem to be a common theme that we generally win when we win the CP.
Did you miss Ken's answer in the press conference? You know what counts as contested possessions? Free kicks.

Check the contested possession differential against the free kick differential.

Duckimus Prime has noted Ken's response. We were rubbish against Carlton and Adelaide, CP was 8 down v Collingwood but we laid 15 more tackles - free kick count was equitable and that game was decided by a moment. Against Geelong we laid 22 more tackles but were murdered by the umpires.

There's no doubt CP plays a role but it's part of a network of factors.

Well we at least asked the question, especially since it was one umpire paying 15 of 31 frees.

However reading the article raises more questions for me, Collingwood had the ability to get umpires into their training and adjust according to their input - is everyone afforded this?

That farce of a twitter account ‘has the ump made a mistake’ has dribbled out some nonsense in support already, noting the umpiring wasn’t significantly dubious enough to bother looking at.

Last edited:

No, I agree with you and it has been a staple for the year and a bit of a turnaround from Hinkleyball.

When we break even or win CP, we usually win.
When we are down on CP, we usually lose.

When out CP is up, our efficiency is usually up and it allows our skill players time and space. We become uber efficient and those sweet boots from the midfield and defence have time to run and carry and launch. Our forwards also have time and space to operate and a few of them are very creative. We are so efficient in this mode that we can lose uncontested possession by quite a large margin because our kicking is so unbelievably good form behind the ball.

When we get smashed in the CP, we revert back to Hinkleyball. Our play slows up a bit, not as much run, our forward line becomes crowded and we don't lower the eyes and bomb it in there. In the last 4 weeks, we've struggled with CP and we have struggled but we've had injuries as well.

Also, along the lines of the CP stat is also the all round tackles but especially the i50 tackles. When they are super high, we usually but not always win.

Both CP and i50 tackles are work rate stats.

So basically when we work hardery for longery, our skills are allowed to shine and when we don't work hardery for longery, our skills are severely restricted.

Accuracy in front of goals, worst in the league last 5 games, second last for the year. It's this lack of polish that is costing us games, probably why we need a zillion entries - somewhat always been a Hinkley coached trait.

View attachment 1767287

Chaos / Hinkley Ball means shots on bad angles, just inside or outside the 50, round the corner, over the head, breaking 5 tackles

It's rare we get a set shot from a lead up mark 20m out directly in front

Not surprising at all

Well we at least asked the question, especially since it was one umpire paying 15 of 31 frees.

However reading the article raises more questions for me, Collingwood had the ability to get umpires into their training and adjust according to their input - is everyone afforded this?

That farce of a twitter account ‘has the ump made a mistake’ has dribbled out some nonsense in support already, noting the umpiring wasn’t significantly dubious enough to bother looking at.

C Cornes leaking like a screen door on a submarine

Again

That whole family is just wired weird

Geelong clearly got the rub of the green with the umpires on Saturday (and clearly got a bad run the week before).

But why is a club right in the premiership hunt wasting time turning this into a story? Surely there are more important things to concentrate on right now and this reeks of a team who has lost focus.

Interesting little factoid: Geelong has been given the Saturday night slot on FTA for R24.

This will mean that they started with Saturday night against us at GMHBA, have Collingwood on Friday night this week at the MCG, St Kilda on Saturday night in the penultimate round at Marvel and then finish with the Bulldogs on Saturday night at GMHBA.

When the AFL picks a narrative - and that narrative is for Geelong to make finals - you're not going to beat it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol now Chad Cornes tugging us off saying we played the right way. We lost to a side that isn't particularly good, not playing very well, with some key players out. A side that lost to 14th at home the week before.

I'm sick of this rewarding mediocrity s**t. We should have got the job done instead of letting them kick 4 goals in a row in the last quarter, umps be damned.

Geelong clearly got the rub of the green with the umpires on Saturday (and clearly got a bad run the week before).

But why is a club right in the premiership hunt wasting time turning this into a story? Surely there are more important things to concentrate on right now and this reeks of a team who has lost focus.

Short answer: because it happens every single week - home and away.

Everybody is ******* sick of it.

I know what you're thinking: every supporter base thinks they're hard done by. No. We really are. Look at the numbers.

Something needs to be done before we get bent over when it matters most.

Piss off

I know what you're thinking: every supporter base thinks they're hard done by. No. We really are. Look at the numbers.

W eall need to stop this victim complex: we can blame the umpires but the fact is we lost because of our bad kicking.
For example, early in the last quarter we had the momentum and hit the lead and could have iced the game.
Then Wines missed a gimmie from 30 metres out; Lord missed a set shot from 45 metres and Rozee just missed his shot.
But for poor conversion we could have put the game out of there reach; from that point on Geelong dominated.
Where we e had a third of the team out and hopefully can expect a lot of these players to be available next week (where the Giants have two suspensions).

I had little footy expectations this year and now we are playing finals, finishing fourth place or better.
A double change, how good is that?

Let us move on and all get behind the team and enjoy the next half-a-dozen games.

W eall need to stop this victim complex: we can blame the umpires but the fact is we lost because of our bad kicking.
For example, early in the last quarter we had the momentum and hit the lead and could have iced the game.
Then Wines missed a gimmie from 30 metres out; Lord missed a set shot from 45 metres and Rozee just missed his shot.
But for poor conversion we could have put the game out of there reach; from that point on Geelong dominated.
Where we e had a third of the team out and hopefully can expect a lot of these players to be available next week (where the Giants have two suspensions).

I had little footy expectations this year and now we are playing finals, finishing fourth place or better.
A double change, how good is that?

Let us move on and all get behind the team and enjoy the next half-a-dozen games.

It's not one game in isolation.

Say nothing and bend over and get ****ed every week.

I agree with your contested possession call re the Carlton game, but it's a crock when you look at the free kick count in the Geelong game. I'm sure you're well aware of how the contested possession is recorded which is why you can't factor in CP when you know Geelongs possessions were elevated due to free kicks.

We've already lost focus with our player management. However umpire cheating needs to be called out and when 1 umpire out of 4, awards you're team 50% of your frees it kind of stinks.

Yeah.

Nobody ever won a flag with an us against the world mentality.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back