Review Positive and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight playing against one of the top teams there are probably to many players who have missed a fair bit of the season. You can get away with playing all of them against a mid tier team

All of Duggan, Hurn, McGovern, Ryan, Shuey and Yeo have missed 5 or more games out of 14 so far and Kelly hadn't played for 4 weeks as well.

Still a terribly disappointing performance

They're not robots

The Bulldogs spent the week in Quarantine at a hotel only allowed out to train

If the news of a few new COVID cases affected us more than the above it further highlights just how soft our team is

Wet day; NNs taps often dropping close to the contest;WCE mids metres away;Bullies in number at his feet;
OR-- NN grabs ball, fires out bullet handball to stationary target a couple of metres away who fumbles it.

Wet day; NNs taps often dropping close to the contest;WCE mids metres away;Bullies in number at his feet;
OR-- NN grabs ball, fires out bullet handball to stationary target a couple of metres away who fumbles it.
Arrogance/stupidity. Coaches knew Bulldogs had a strong midfield and knew it was going to be wet. Should have played an experienced tagger.

The Bulldogs spent the week in Quarantine at a hotel only allowed out to train

If the news of a few new COVID cases affected us more than the above it further highlights just how soft our team is
It's no secret this team if soft. Xovid or not, we would've lost yesterday anyway. Something can be said for preparedness though, the Dogs knew what they were in for (not saying it's easy, but it wasn't sprung on them two hrs before bounce down)

Oh I absolutely know that, but if we had stuck with our kick-mark playstyle against the Tigers (another contested ball team) we would have been chopped up.

My biggest gripe is that we obviously looked at how the Tigers play, identified weaknesses in both their structure and ours, and adjusted the gameplan to compensate. It led to one of the greatest H/A wins in our recent history.

Why then did we not do the same thing for the Dogs game? Where was the analysis and planning? One of the glaring stats from yesterday was when the commentary team brought up that the Dogs were the best side in the comp at restricting rebounds from defence, so then why was the gameplan predicated upon kicking the ball back and forth across half back, looking for the magical opening in the Dogs zone that they are trained to cover?

Furthermore, when we got to half time and would have recognised the kick-mark style wasnt going to break the game open, why did we not change up what we were doing? You could argue that yes, we were within a couple of kicks, but it was pretty clear that the Dogs had us comfortably covered defensively and that their I50 differential was going to break us at some point. Where were the instructions to run the ball through traffic? Where was the call for the transition game that ran over the top of the Tigers the week before? Its like the coaches just looked at the scoreboard and said "yep, thats about right" and didnt intervene.

We play dumb footy, and its agonising because we CAN play like a premiership-winning team, but for some reason we refuse to do so unless every single variable is in our favour.
If we play the kick mark game, we need guys that can take that attacking kick. Over the last few weeks Foley and H Edwards have been taking them. Cole, Duggan, Hurn, Barrass, Rotham and Sheppard don't take the game on by foot. Side to side back to back never taking that 45 kick to open the game.

Well he had a shocking Final last year against the Pies...lets us down there ...he is good in patches plays some good games but when the heat is on goes missing

At this stage looks like a waste of a trade
He needs to play WAFL to run into form…

Woke up this morning demoralised. I watched a horror story.

Kicking myself for believing we were back v Richmond.

This team has not been capable of stringing 4 quarter football, bar a handful games a year. Inconsistent from quarter to quarter and game to game.

I am at a loss, I believe in Simmo but he needs to sort this s**t out. His job, sort it.

2 goals in the past month from Darling.

Taught an absolute footballing lesson by Vlaustiin and Laverde.

View attachment 1166600

View attachment 1166632
The first uncontested mark I’ve seen him take yesterday when he ran up the ground just outside the opponents fifty. He lacks football smarts, too busy contesting in the same spot with his opponent then actually providing leads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first uncontested mark I’ve seen him take yesterday when he ran up the ground just outside the opponents fifty. He lacks football smarts, too busy contesting in the same spot with his opponent then actually providing leads
TBF we moved the ball so slowly that the bulldogs had a zone set up the whole game when we had the ball. Hard to get an uncontested mark when there is no space to lead into

I thought Naughton was good on the weekend and did kick 4 but Lordo apparently made a comment about how he treated Barrass like a school boy. Stopped watching it after the dogs sealed the game in the last tho.

Woke up this morning demoralised. I watched a horror story.
Kicking myself for believing we were back v Richmond.
Yes, feel like a shmuck for getting my hopes up, talking myself into it.
I'm learning to seperate blind faith+hope from reality and losing my religion in the process?
Just a thoroughly disappointing performance and outcome.
Dumb footy, dumb coaching, dumb selection.
Tired of Simmo's groundhog day post game cliches...

The Dogs were superb -have to admit it-slick, fast, together. The team synchronicity was astonishing-they worked
as one tuned in unit, like a bird swarm! And to add insult to injury they even out marked us a lot of the time.
Our game plan is so stale, our brand has been completely worked out.
It's like the team and the club drank it's own bathwater after Tigers win? Rockstars at Optus? Not any more...
The line is on the line against the Swans...

Last edited:
Is Petch even fast anymore?
Not once he gets any checking. Saw it countless times on the weekend, he would get a bit of a body check and it stopped him dead, couldnt take off again and contest. Very frustrating to watch. I thought he was pretty ordinary on the weekend.

We have a few players on our list ; Waterman and Petracelli being two of them ; who are reasonably talented but have no grit,no anger. We need an injection of youth who have no fear. Established players need to understand that there are players coming through who are hungry; that if you get complacent then they want your spot.
Next game if Petrol gets a spot id be saying minimum of 15 tackles or back to WAFL.With his pace and balance its not a big ask.Its easier to rack up tackles than kicks/marks.Tackles should be the performance benchmark.Tackles earn free kicks,tackles cause pressure real or perceived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back