Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve said for a long time that you can’t play Gaff and Sheed in the same team. Kelly plays the game that they try to! Busts his arse, never stops trying, not blessed with a high cruising speed but “tries”!!
Can’t wait for a few players back so that pair can have a holiday!!
If we are so short of players why not bury Sheed / Gaff in a forward pocket? The ball never comes there anyway so it’s not as if we require them to do a lot of chasing!

I’ve said for a long time that you can’t play Gaff and Sheed in the same team. Kelly plays the game that they try to! Busts his arse, never stops trying, not blessed with a high cruising speed but “tries”!!
Can’t wait for a few players back so that pair can have a holiday!!
If we are so short of players why not bury Sheed / Gaff in a forward pocket? The ball never comes there anyway so it’s not as if we require them to do a lot of chasing!
Yeah I'm not sure filling our forward line with 0 pressure players is a way forward. If they must play, there are 4 spots on the bench that don't require chasing tackling or effort

Watching the replay, our coaching staff has to be in the crosshairs, the defensive structure is either non existent or not being communicated effectively or not being implemented by the players, all of which comes back to the coaching staff. I'd love it if we had Fagan for this stage of our build.
Absolutely. There's a whole bunch of easy Auskick level things our players do (or don't do) and this has been the case for an extended period of time now that isn't being coached out.

I'm not sure if it was last week or the week before, two defenders lose their feet in the forward pockets. Instead of bouncing back up and trying to impact the forward pocket kicking a goal they slowly get up and rue the fact that he's ran past, collected the ball and kicked a goal. I don't care if you don't make the contest, the fact that you haven't even tried to get back into it speaks volumes and the two players should have been chewed out for it.

Given this is repeated behaviour, it clearly shows that either this isn't happening or the coaches have lost the players.

Absolutely. There's a whole bunch of easy Auskick level things our players do (or don't do) and this has been the case for an extended period of time now that isn't being coached out.

I'm not sure if it was last week or the week before, two defenders lose their feet in the forward pockets. Instead of bouncing back up and trying to impact the forward pocket kicking a goal they slowly get up and rue the fact that he's ran past, collected the ball and kicked a goal. I don't care if you don't make the contest, the fact that you haven't even tried to get back into it speaks volumes and the two players should have been chewed out for it.

Given this is repeated behaviour, it clearly shows that either this isn't happening or the coaches have lost the players.
Option B.

Duggan came out the other day and said they were "playing for the coach" and they "owed the coach". He's not lying, he just can't see it. The actions do all the talking.

That St Kilda game as amazing. If we played like that every week, we'd have no chance of getting any of the big 4 - Reid, McKercher, Curtin, Watson. So why don't they play like that every week? Well they haven't since the 2018 grand final. At different times in 2019 - 2021, different players slumped in effort. It looked clear to me at the time that the coral and intercept game plan took it's toll. And I don't think they senior players have recovered.

On one hand we have the massive positive of getting 3-4 years to do a complete rebuild with top end talent. On the other hand we a problem with game plan, mentoring, protecting, and jaded senior players.

The chances of Simmo being able to refresh the team and climb back up the ladder is remote. There must be a point where the club makes the change. A combination of;

1. Acceptable payout with regard to finances
2. The point where we have enough top draft picks come in
3. The point where a new coach comes in and pushes older players out, thereby sending a message to the remaining players that they need to perform.

Maybe at the end of next year?

Option B.

Duggan came out the other day and said they were "playing for the coach" and they "owed the coach". He's not lying, he just can't see it. The actions do all the talking.

That St Kilda game as amazing. If we played like that every week, we'd have no chance of getting any of the big 4 - Reid, McKercher, Curtin, Watson. So why don't they play like that every week? Well they haven't since the 2018 grand final. At different times in 2019 - 2021, different players slumped in effort. It looked clear to me at the time that the coral and intercept game plan took it's toll. And I don't think they senior players have recovered.

On one hand we have the massive positive of getting 3-4 years to do a complete rebuild with top end talent. On the other hand we a problem with game plan, mentoring, protecting, and jaded senior players.

The chances of Simmo being able to refresh the team and climb back up the ladder is remote. There must be a point where the club makes the change. A combination of;

1. Acceptable payout with regard to finances
2. The point where we have enough top draft picks come in
3. The point where a new coach comes in and pushes older players out, thereby sending a message to the remaining players that they need to perform.

Maybe at the end of next year?
Well said.

While I get there's a difference between Brisbane and St Kilda, the effort was clearly different. Seemed the response was more a reaction to the embarrassment from the bollocking of the media than let's do it for coach!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah bro imagine suggesting that a first round draft pick will become a quality

Yeah bro imagine suggesting that a first round draft pick will become a quality player.

How dare they.
Well Bro a Mr Brander went a pick earlier in his draft year, remind me how well that worked out. So yep just because you are first round pick doesn't mean you are going to be able to run with the big dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back