Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Hewett, Hough and Chesser.

That's about it.
Chesser. Really, this is apparently the 14th best young player in Australia in 2021. Obviously a far better footballer than anyone on this unique forum, but to suggest that he will become a quality AFL footballer is a bit premature in my humble opinion. Agree that Hewett and Hough should become consistent AFL players.

Fletcher, Ashcroft and Wilmott are all 19. Our kids try pretty hard (most of them), but they’ve got a hell of a long way to go. Only positive I could see was Hunt and maybe Hewett, and maybe, maybe Duggan and BBBW . Sorry, but Ginbey did very little and, like Samson, seems to have lost his strength after his haircut.

If our 3 best 19 year olds played in that Brisbane team they’d look a fair bit better too TBH

Chesser. Really, this is apparently the 14th best young player in Australia in 2021. Obviously a far better footballer than anyone on this unique forum, but to suggest that he will become a quality AFL footballer is a bit premature in my humble opinion. Agree that Hewett and Hough should become consistent AFL players.
Yeah bro imagine suggesting that a first round draft pick will become a quality player.

How dare they.

that train left the station completely full ages ago, how did you get aboard now.

How are you surprised Gov was huge. Fat jokes have been going on about the poor fella for his whole career.

Also, hugewit was clearly bog.
Top 3-4 for us. I get irrationally annoyed when we on here use BOG refering to our best player. BOG is best from both teams - we had none in the top 10 hence the score. Ashcroft showed far more class, skill and ability than Hewett (and did far more) as an example.

Last edited:
Top 3-4 for us. I get irrationally annoyed when we on here use BOG refering to our best player. BOG is best from both teams - we had none in the top 10 hence the score. Ashcroft shoed far more class, skill and ability than Hewett (and did far more) as an example.
LOL, I get irrationally annoyed when people quote a post that was quite clearly a joke from top to bottom and debate it for no other reason than ‘because’.

In any event, what does Ashcroft’s shoes have to do with the BOG discussion? 😂

If you’re close to being a realist, then before spruiking on about positives and negatives, you have to accept that a defeat yesterday in the region of 10 goals or so was inevitable. In general, I agree with the level of dissatisfaction with Gaff, but the continual pile on is not the way to end the career of a guy who’s been one of our best players in the current era.

Anyway, there was a lot to like about yesterday if you factor in the impact of having 20 of our blokes watching from the stands.

I’m looking forward to the draft period and what we can engineer to improve our list. Based on where we sit at the moment, we’re in a good position to acquire some speculative talent and move on a couple of guys that are, for want of a better word, “fillers”.

So, in terms of positives, the bad times make the good times seem so much better when the worm eventually turns, and I reckon that’ll happen sooner rather than later.

LOL, I get irrationally annoyed when people quote a post that was quite clearly a joke from top to bottom and debate it for no other reason than ‘because’.

In any event, what does Ashcroft’s shoes have to do with the BOG discussion? 😂
Our correspondant noted Hewett was BOG - I differ, noting we didnt have a player in the best 10 +/-. Ashsroft was but one example of a better player on the field.

I voted Hewett one of our best 1-3 if I recall. But BOG? there is a reason we had our ass whipped.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game and it was a tough watch. No sense of urgency. Marking, contemplating life, then turning over the ball.

Top 3-4 for us. I get irrationally annoyed when we on here use BOG refering to our best player. BOG is best from both teams - we had none in the top 10 hence the score. Ashcroft showed far more class, skill and ability than Hewett (and did far more) as an example.
Ashcroft playing in a much better team helps his game.
Ashcroft is good but Hewett is showing a lot of promise in a very poor team.

Our correspondant noted Hewett was BOG - I didffer, noting we didnt have a player in the best 10 +/-. Ashsroft was but one example of a better player on the field.

I voted Hewett one of our best 1-3 if I recall. But BOG? there is a reason we had our ass whipped.
I actually called ‘huge wit’ the BOG, i.e. it was a joke. I think you can carry on debating yourself mate.

Agree to disagree.

There were several times when OA and Darling made space and it wasn't kicked to them.

At one stage, Darling was all by himself about 40 out and Duggan kicked to a one on one.

You telling me OA and Darling weren't presenting?
I must've watched a different game to you.

The ball went in 29 times for the whole game.

This is because we were playing keepy off to try and limit the damage, which I didn't mind.

You try and be a forward and lead to Duggan and Co.
They were on a hiding to nothing.
Yea we must have watched a different game because I watched the backs look up to try and kick forward while our forwards stood still on the wing offering no leads, that’s why they had to go sideways to try and open up the other side of the ground.

If you’re close to being a realist, then before spruiking on about positives and negatives, you have to accept that a defeat yesterday in the region of 10 goals or so was inevitable. In general, I agree with the level of dissatisfaction with Gaff, but the continual pile on is not the way to end the career of a guy who’s been one of our best players in the current era.

Anyway, there was a lot to like about yesterday if you factor in the impact of having 20 of our blokes watching from the stands.

I’m looking forward to the draft period and what we can engineer to improve our list. Based on where we sit at the moment, we’re in a good position to acquire some speculative talent and move on a couple of guys that are, for want of a better word, “fillers”.

So, in terms of positives, the bad times make the good times seem so much better when the worm eventually turns, and I reckon that’ll happen sooner rather than later.
I like your positivity! When you see the team up+about like the Saints game, you get a glimpse of whats coming and that will be reinforced with further draft picks - so good reason for optimism there.
Add Liam Ryan to the mix.
We should be up+about by the 2025 season, winning games again (no greater expectations at this stage).

But I think we need to move on more than a couple of guys. I understand it has to be a gradual process, needing to keep more experienced players around as leaders. But am hoping end of season we move on some senior players and some fillers. How many is debatable regarding the list and depth.
Surely NN, Hurn and Gaff go? Shuey is on the fence, same with Yeo. Will Barrass change clubs?
As for moving on the 'fillers', theres a few there also...expecting a bit of a shake up season's end?
More will go end of 2024 of course.
But Simmo keeps that topic guarded and hints at a small number...

+
Chesser
Hewett
TK
Hough

-
Barrass
Pea Heart Potato Duggan
Sheed
Gaff

Special Mention: Petch. Actually had some glimmer of effort

Watching the replay, our coaching staff has to be in the crosshairs, the defensive structure is either non existent or not being communicated effectively or not being implemented by the players, all of which comes back to the coaching staff. I'd love it if we had Fagan for this stage of our build.

I actually called ‘huge wit’ the BOG, i.e. it was a joke. I think you can carry on debating yourself mate.
Its a great time for jokes. Personally, I have had to change my mind on a few things. While after watching the 18's today I am none the wiser on who we should draft, but with the dockers getting belted I think there may be a god.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back