Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I half disagree. While I would like them to spend longer stints in the middle, I think they will always be filler. A fit Yeo, Kelly, and Sheed will be our main mids for a few years yet. Maybe Clarke can fill the Redden role? West is crabby. Can get the ball but he's a WAFL player.

It also depends on who we draft. If we draft Culley, does he get rotated through the midfield from the get go? War lord? Chesser? I think we still have 3 years of pain and replacing Yeo, Kelly, and Sheed with filler players like West and Clarke is neither here nor there.
I don’t know what part of Sheed makes you think he can be an inside mid going forward? Cant stick a tackle. Can’t break a tackle. Can’t explode out of congestion. He’s an outside running midfielder, West and Clark are miles better than him. You also have a lot more faith in Yeo’s recovery than I do.

I think we’re going to be relying on West and Clark a lot more than you imagine.

I don’t know what part of Sheed makes you think he can be an inside mid going forward? Cant stick a tackle. Can’t break a tackle. Can’t explode out of congestion. He’s an outside running midfielder, West and Clark are miles better than him. You also have a lot more faith in Yeo’s recovery than I do.

I think we’re going to be relying on West and Clark a lot more than you imagine.
None. I never said Sheed was or would be or should be an insider. I think he's a downhill skier and would like to trade him.

He and Kelly are outsiders. Yeo is an in and out bull. As I said, maybe Clarke can fill Redden's shoes.

Whether people think West and Clark will just be filler. The philosophy of just continuing to bang our head against the wall with the same line up week in and week out speaks volumes about other changes that should be happening. If Simmo too stubborn to try something different or at least use this period for some research on whether those other guys are up to the grade or not for something as evident of how bad our midfield is, how can you expect any sort of changes across other parts of the club?

I have no doubt Winder would have not got a look in this year and out of sheer desperation and no other options was played forward last week and kicked 3.

Same when Gov came along and we tried him in defence when Glass and McKenzie went down. Simmo would never have tried these options if he wasn’t backed into a corner.

I can understand the situation if we were on the cusp of finals like the last few years to stick with the tried and tested options, but that’s not the case.

We keep flogging the same dead horse

Whether people think West and Clark will just be filler. The philosophy of just continuing to bang our head against the wall with the same line up week in and week out speaks volumes about other changes that should be happening. If Simmo too stubborn to try something different or at least use this period for some research on whether those other guys are up to the grade or not for something as evident of how bad our midfield is, how can you expect any sort of changes across other parts of the club?

I have no doubt Winder would have not got a look in this year and out of sheer desperation and no other options was played forward last week and kicked 3.

Same when Gov came along and we tried him in defence when Glass and McKenzie went down. Simmo would never have tried these options if he wasn’t backed into a corner.

I can understand the situation if we were on the cusp of finals like the last few years to stick with the tried and tested options, but that’s not the case.

We keep flogging the same dead horse
Only person who can not flog same dead horse is Simpson but he refuses to change. Needs to be sacked for it

I’m sick of watching kents run off Shuey, Gaff, Redden all day as they jog 10m behind. Enough.
This ^

Every time a free kick went the bulldogs way ( which was a lot ) the bulldogs mids would take off forward and our guys would be jogging behind without urgency.

If their whole midfield is goal side of their opponent its going to be very hard to defend .

I feel sorry for our defence .

The frequency of entries without any midfield pressure makes it almost impossible the defend . No wonder they are frustrated and look 2nd rate atm

We're pretty safe for MSD #1 pick and #1 draft pick*

1653798683531.png

*Unless we go on a tear and win a game or three

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Oh? Bulldogs only kicked 11 points. Did he take all the kickins as well as another?

Also, They still count as disposals. And they were all effective.

Not saying he's a superstar, just endless shitting on him annoys me

If it goes 40+ metres and isn't an uncontested mark to the opposition it's an effective disposal.
In the advanced stats he had 4 direct turnovers. He was also beaten for size and speed in one on ones resulting in at the very least 2 goals. From memory those direct turnovers resulted in 3 goals. So talk up his stats all you like but he was directly responsible for 5 goals against the side.

Only person who can not flog same dead horse is Simpson but he refuses to change. Needs to be sacked for it
I'd be making the change 3/4 through next year. Limits the payout and gives us another high pick.

However, it's still at the expense of developing youth and haemorrhaging money at the grounds. Unfortunately I can't see this going on too much longer, early next year?

Sheed is elite, imo, at clearances. Problem is, the opposition knows it too. So they scrag him at centre bounces and as he's slow, so he becomes useless.

Give him a little bit of space and time and he's elite. But yeah, can't tackle and can't chase

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it goes 40+ metres and isn't an uncontested mark to the opposition it's an effective disposal.
In the advanced stats he had 4 direct turnovers. He was also beaten for size and speed in one on ones resulting in at the very least 2 goals. From memory those direct turnovers resulted in 3 goals. So talk up his stats all you like but he was directly responsible for 5 goals against the side.
This ^^^^

And you know what, if he was a weapon by foot like Jetts, you could deal with some defensive shortcomings.
But he’s s**t at that too and takes forever to make a decision with ball in hand.

Not one time have I seen a switch in his aggression which either means no one has addressed it with him or just doesn’t GAF

I'd be making the change 3/4 through next year. Limits the payout and gives us another high pick.

However, it's still at the expense of developing youth and haemorrhaging money at the grounds. Unfortunately I can't see this going on too much longer, early next year?
Instead of being on the front foot and making the move now to fast track our way out of this mess, we’ll drag it on longer like how we’ve been stubborn to move on senior players or trade guys out while they had some currency and wait until our hand is forced.

West and Clark are miles better than Sheed? :drunk:

I'm sorry, after round 7 last year before he was moved outside sheed was number 1 for stoppage clearances in the league.
Is that when he had NN tapping it down his throat and there wasn’t anyone standing within 5 metres of him?

He’s a damaging player offensively when he’s got some freedom.

Too slow and weak to win a ball out of a pack and run away with it or stop someone else doing it. Naitanui won’t be with us much longer.

Screenshot_20220529-141548_AFL.jpg

One turnover according to these stats. Do you use different stats? I'm genuinely curious.

I've done a little rewatch on Kayo and I reckon you could 'blame' Witho for 2 goals. Up to interpretation of course. He was 'involved' in another two if that makes sense, as in he was part of the defensive line trying to stop the shot on goal but a goal resulted.

And yeah I know 'effective' disposals can be a bit too generous (a Jetta perfectly weighted pass into the corridor, a 40 metre kick down the line to a pack, or a 20m chip backwards to a free player, all 'effective') but it's still a useful stat.

Last edited:
This ^

Every time a free kick went the bulldogs way ( which was a lot ) the bulldogs mids would take off forward and our guys would be jogging behind without urgency.

If their whole midfield is goal side of their opponent its going to be very hard to defend .

I feel sorry for our defence .

The frequency of entries without any midfield pressure makes it almost impossible the defend . No wonder they are frustrated and look 2nd rate atm

This was so evident last night.

We were constantly trailing them with no urgency to chase or try to run down.

Senior players lazy and no one leading by example.

One big positive was Jack Darling's game last night. Has copped it quite fairly due to his disaster of a pre-season, but has been working hard for a few weeks now and it's good to see him get some reward.

Positives
1. Tim Kelly’s game.
2. Jack’s return to form - all players having a surf this week?
3. Jameson’s effort - got soundly beaten but put in.
4. Another small crowd last night (& no incident at Perth Stn to mask) on a good night should be a clear indicator to WCE that members are not happy.
5. There’ll be two good seats available for someone else in 2023 - we’re checking out.
6. Edit - Houghs game.

Negatives
1. Rotham cost us 3 goals early in the third. Lack of pressure, awareness and ball handling skills.
2. Our lack of pressure all over the field.
3. Ball movement still sucks - our chipping of 15m doesn’t change the angles sufficiently to open up the field. Then when we go longer our kicks, with a couple of exceptions, float too much which allows oppo to shift a cover the ground upfield.
4. JK should have retired end of 2021. The end for our players comes quickly - could be the travel.
5. Redden and Gaff at CB together. Redden needs to be there especially when we don’t win clear knocks but Gaff and Redden are too slow & allow oppo to run the ball out too easily.
6. Football writers who simply look at stats to choose best players - Sunday Times (Mark Duffield) there is no way Gaff was our third best yesterday.
7. Simmos presser - ABC Sportstalk show this morning replayed Longmuirs presser from last week when JL said we weren’t good enough and made some very pointed comments which were a public warning to players that their performance last week wasn’t good enough.
8. Another weekend wasted - 4hr drive there, 6hrs getting to and from game and 4hrs drive home. No more - we’re checking from attending games permanently.
9. Gov’s injury.
10. Our skill, awareness, fitness are all substandard.
11. Our lack of leadership from senior players - Barrass, Cripps, Shuey, Gaff, Nelson et al.
12. Bulldogs ran past our players as if we were standing still.
13. Our bad season getting worse.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back