Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Only saw the last quarter and don't really need to talk about how frustrating that was.

If I get bored today I might tally up how many times we've led at 3/4 time by 30+ points only to lose the last quarter. Must be 5 or 6 this year?
If you only saw the last quarter then pour a nice old Scotch and strap yourself in for the excitment ahead. Today was a thing of beauty. Score was immaterial in the last we just played quality tempo for 25 mins and no one else got hurt which is all that mattered. This team is littered with campaigners.

Sheed plays an inexplicable terrible game every now and again. Concentration issue perhaps?

Masten is a crab 70% of the time we know , I fail to see why pet cannot take his role. I guess he doesn't have the tank just yet.

+ Yeo was a beast. Tackling intent first class.
+ Ryan was terrific. Maybe his best performance for the club.
+ Hickey, Gov and Shep were all great.
+ Rioli's creativity. Set up a few goals with deft taps and handballs. His kick to set up Waterman in the second was a highlight.
+ Great team performance in the second and third quarters.

- Two-and-a-bit quarter effort, just like the Melbourne game.
- Let percentage slip. Should have been a 10 goal win.
- Sheed was terrible. Totally off the pace.
- Schofield was soundly beaten.
- Hurn out of sorts in his first game back.

Sheed plays an inexplicable terrible game every now and again. Concentration issue perhaps?

Masten is a crab 70% of the time we know , I fail to see why pet cannot take his role. I guess he doesn't have the tank just yet.
Harsh on Masto.
His role requires smarts to accumulate outside footy, the ability to hit targets inside 50 and good defensive running/positioning. Tank aside, Petch struggles with all of those things.

+ Another win in the bank
Ryan had a great game
Yeo loves playing on the "guns" and beating them
Hickey still doing the job
Shep was awesome

- Last qtr was disappointing
JK and Darling with some ordinary goal kicking
Hurn really fumbly and slow
Sheed, 2 simple chest marks dropped, really! wake up mate
Carlton created a world record for consecutive throws without having a free kick payed against them.
Only 1 replay of Simpsons punch to Allens head from behind when we know if the roles were reversed we would see 17 replays and endless discussion of how many weeks it was worth
Noise of affirmation was very apparent, blatant pushes, holds and throws ignored

Sheed nearly didn't make it, injury cloud? So will cut him some slack.
Petch, still on trainer wheels (along with Cameron)-does some good things, hits the turbo then just kicks it to no-one or into nowhere, same last week.
We miss Cripps!! Some of our forward delivery is frustrating or rebounds back out quickly, no forward pressure at times.
Can't be bothered getting bitter and twisted about percentage, if we're good enough (and we are reigning Premiers) we should be able to beat anyone, anywhere, any time, no excuses. Yes 1st-2nd is ideal, yes the Pie loss wasn't ideal- what will be will be.
Still lots of blind bombs and frustrating silly turnovers.
Not complaining really, got the points! No injuries.
It really looks like we're just purring along, just doing what we have to do..reckon the Tigers game will unveil the real (4 qtr) Eagles.

Last edited:
Sheed was average, so was Masten.

JK was rubbish, had some beautiful kicks that he got hands too but couldn't take a mark to save himself.

Darling was really good, but his past two weeks he's missed the easiest set shots after what was looking to be an incredibly accurate year. We need him to get the easy ones come finals, all the brilliant work he does is a bonus.

Some of Shuey's ball use is questionable but overall he had a really good game.

Nelson was really good, he and Shep provided a ton of run.

Ryan likes to make things look hard sometimes but what a highlight reel he has, not just with marks but creating plays in open space, his running power, little tap ons and kicks to forwards back in the corridor. Brilliant game.

Barrass and Gov with the intercept defending! That's them at their best.

Harsh on Masto.
His role requires smarts to accumulate outside footy, the ability to hit targets inside 50 and good defensive running/positioning.
That's all fine. But goddamn he gets caught with the ball a lot. Or double grabs at it and gets wrapped up. It's hard to swallow from a guy of his experience. A player who is so exclusively outside and uncontested as Masten needs to be one-touch and make good decisions quickly. Masten is basically a poor man's Matt Rosa with slightly better 3km time trials.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all fine. But goddamn he gets caught with the ball a lot. Or double grabs at it and gets wrapped up. It's hard to swallow from a guy of his experience. A player who is so exclusively outside and uncontested as Masten needs to be one-touch and make good decisions quickly. Masten is basically a poor man's Matt Rosa with slightly better 3km time trials.
I wasn't suggesting that he was a great player, just that Petch isn't suited to replace him in that role.
He's not nearly as effective as he once was, but he's kept his spot because he's a known quantity and we haven't had any similar players pressing for selection. Simpson's mantra of "play your role" has helped him maintain a spot in spite of his drops in production.
It's a shame that Foley has started so slowly, because he's the logical replacement as far as our young players go.
FWIW I was a big Matt Rosa fan.

I wasn't suggesting that he was a great player, just that Petch isn't suited to replace him in that role.
He's not nearly as effective as he once was, but he's kept his spot because he's a known quantity and we haven't had any similar players pressing for selection. Simpson's mantra of "play your role" has helped him maintain a spot in spite of his drops in production.
It's a shame that Foley has started so slowly, because he's the logical replacement as far as our young players go.
FWIW I was a big Matt Rosa fan.
Cripps could replace him. Or Duggan.

And then we have younger players pressing for those spots at either end.

Don't forget Cavka. He's a running machine.

I also grew into a Rosa fan. That's why I have no hesitation comparing Masten unfavourably.

+
Arial dominance. Love the marking around ground.

Midfield lifting in Q2 was a sight to behold. Angry Yeo and Angry Redden. Reddo had a good time getting into an oppo (can't recall who) who ducked into a free. Reckon they both play better on edge.

Not a perfect game by Schofield, but he won a lot of important one on one contests too, particularly when the ball hit the deck. Shut down a lot of leads in dangerous areas inside 50, so McKay had to go further up the ground to get into the game - left the rest of their forward line much smaller, allowing Gov and Barrass to feast. Most of all I enjoyed his two professional fouls, and in general how he held up play just scragging. Allows the rest of the team a little more time to set up behind him. I wanted him out earlier in the week, but glad he played.

Lotsa 'almost' moments from Petch. That said, regardless of the finishing he got involved enough. At the ground you could hear an audible groan from the Blues fans when he found space. I'm glad he's getting games into him.

All of our smalls as a unit looked dangerous af. Blues didn't match up well against us there, everyone managed to lose their opponent at some point. Ryan was clearly best here, but it was a squad effort.

-
Saying Sheed had a down or average game is underselling just how bad he was. Might've been his worst game ever. Completely worked over off the ball by his opponent all night (mostly going head to head with Setterfield). Never looked like nailing a kick. Cost goals with lack of defensive pressure and turnovers.

Actually thought the umpiring was pretty good for most of the game.

Am I the only one who thought Petch was good today? Pushed hard up the ground all game and provided and outlet. Basically was doing the Cripps role all match. Kicking let him down at times, but I thought he did well compared to his recent quietish games.
Thought he cracked in when required, even though he's pretty slight. Did a lot of running to create space and options. Thought he was pretty decent for a 1st year player.

Masten got a bit of it and ran hard but so fumbly and error ridden.
Hurn rusty and its unusual to see him make errors but we are not used to him coming back from a few weeks off.
Loving Ryans effort - he seems to be everywhere.
Most dangerous forward line in the comp by a mile.
The Tigers game is going to be huge.
Big negative is not putting them away. We may need to put the crows or the hawks away by a lot to sew up second. Some of our big losses early in the season starting to hurt now.
Yeo won his battle but doubt that will be recognised by the Vic media.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cripps could replace him. Or Duggan.

And then we have younger players pressing for those spots at either end.

Don't forget Cavka. He's a running machine.

I also grew into a Rosa fan. That's why I have no hesitation comparing Masten unfavourably.
Duggan I agree with, particularly given how much Nelson, Watson and Rotham have progressed this season.
Moving Cripps would be a waste I think. His best attributes are his forward pressure and how efficient he is in front of goal. He'd probably be a fine wingman but he's our best small forward.
In any event, I think that we'd only make those positional changes during an off-season, rather than a premiership defence.
If we end up with Kelly or Coniglio and re-shuffle the midfield accordingly it might ultimately be a moot point.

Ryan is growing into a bloody good player.
Yeo is a beast.
Hickey did well.
Waterman had a better game.
Nelson also showing many improvements, that run down chase and rebound was excellent work.
Gov and Barrass.
OAllen again did some nice work.

Negatives

Not keeping that lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back