Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder: if you donate $25 or more to the GoFundMe for fellow Eagles fan AxialMat, you will receive one month of free Premium Platinum BigFooty.

Send your donation receipt to Chief to receive your free month.

Is that before or after he either taps it down the midfields throat or just take it forward himself? Peeps drinking too much Dermie bath water.
No bathwater . Natanui could be the goat . He can do amazing things in the centre bounce but that is about all he has . If he could do even a bit around the ground he would be clear best in the league

Its like having an amazing full forward that only plays out of the goal square, marks and kicks goals without applying any pressure and letting his defender run off him and rebound all game .

You counted the last quarter of today when we won by a whole 1 point (3.3 to 3.2) as a win. I was just going by the metric you were using.
there is a difference between outscoring your opponent by an actual goal than a goalless quarter. First time in a long time two teams have finished a quarter goalless on a sunny day with no rain or wind to speak of. Also, it was the 4th quarter and we got the game in the bag which is different. context matters. metric applies within context.

there is a difference between outscoring your opponent by an actual goal than a goalless quarter. First time in a long time two teams have finished a quarter goalless on a sunny day with no rain or wind to speak of. Also, it was the 4th quarter and we got the game in the bag which is different. context matters. metric applies within context.

We didn't outscore Hawthorn by a goal (actual or otherwise) in the 4th so again I have no idea what you're on about.

We have won 8 out of 8 if using conventional measures, and 5 out of 8 if going purely by goals scored.

He does have a very High Footy IQ mate. almost like warnie. Outside their field of expertise bunch of loose canons but when it comes to disaggregating the game they know what they talking about. I rate Dermie very highly and he is actually non biased and a pure footy fan and of course multiple premiership player and a nightmare to play against. Go watch the tapes to see how scary he was.
Lol, the bloke's a clown mate.
I don't have to watch tapes, I saw him play, he was great and one of the toughest going.
But his commentary is crap.

Nic Nat is a beast in the centre...but ultimately he is FAT and he needs to be told so and slim down. losing 5 to 7kg won't affect his centre work all that much and he will be able to move more freely and not gas out so quickly
If Nic is fat, I'm in big trouble.

Plenty of positives with Brander, Nelson, Williams and Pett looking to take another step and cement themselves as AFL-quality.
Nelson always best 22, but u feel he's going through that period Sheppard did a few years ago where he became very reliable defensively, hopefully the offensive side will come too.

Getting wins with so many players out is huge, the opposition may be poor, but it's still a huge effort.

Great to see Darling getting the recognition he deserves. Even if it was from fat head Dermie.

Only real negative was JK faking an injury in the last so he could slack off on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe this is how the club was able to reduce the salary cap, lining up Nic a juicey ambassador role replacing Hodgey at Light n Easy.

Weight Watchers set aside a 50% share of their ambassador pie for Nic Nat but Stewart Dew ate it already.

Was one of those games where I sit back and consider; and think it was really a strong team performance.
You have the stars like NN, Gaff, JK, Shepp and Darling who always know what to bring, but then you have some really solid play from our supporting acts.
Nelson for example was absolutely rock solid. Took hits, tackled, did absolutely nothing fantastic, but was rock solid.
Again, players like Cole, while not a standout, did a solid job.
Fringe/emerging players like Brander, Williams, Petch and JJ all showed plenty, and the positive to all the injuries is allowing them all to get key development and minutes in an AFL game. Williams was that close to being a 3-4 goal game if he kicked straight and marked better.

I don't think anyone can disregard how good the Hawks are. They're hit with injury and missing some key players, but we are missing probably 9-10 of our B22 and our depth is holding up just fine. Hawks are missing O'meara, while we're missing Yeo and Shuey, and still managed to pummel them in the contest it felt.

Overall, a really strong team performance that I'm happy with. Defence held up superbly, midfield was excellent, and the twin towers of JK and Darling always know what to bring.

+ Youth/Inexperience Stood Up, especially in the backline
Allen - 46 Games - Never got beaten
Harry Edwards - 3 Games - Killed contest after contest
Witherden - 63 Games - Poor Man's Hurn, but still a very handy player
Cole - 64 games - Solid game.
Nelson - 78 Games - Ultra solid
Rotham - 22 Games - Such a quality player for only 22 games. Plays like a 200 gamer.

That's only 276 games between our main 6 defensive pillars.

+ Midfield:
Gaff on the outside
Sheed with plenty inside and outside, with some excellent passes under extreme pressure
Redden has lifted back to Brisbane era Reddo
TK is the cream on top of the sundae, class and poise, but can also win the dirty ball
Brander is a tall man's Dal Santo with a wierd kicking action. So clean on the ground, tremendous skills and can clunk a good overhead mark.
NN is the best tap ruckman in the game, and is easily one of the best ruckmen of all time.

Fwds:
+ Langdon/JJ/Petch all worked hard
+ Darling was a contested marking beast
+ JK still got it at 64 years old
+ Williams showed PLENTY

Negatives:
- Eddie is a flog
- Derm isnt far behind
- JK's 64 year old calf

+ Ah Chee. I’ll admit I questioned his selection but I’m stoked he proved me wrong. His experience really stood out and he didn’t put a foot wrong. Well done Sneeze

+ Gaff. Building some superb form this last couple of weeks. He is such a weapon for us - just never stops working and if you let him off the chain, he will make you pay

+ Nelson. Underrated performance, I thought he was really good and showed plenty of composure to go with his usual toughness. Developing nicely

+ Usual suspects stood up - Nic huge in Q2, the Darling and JK tandem, Shep and Kelly/Sheed/Redden

- Waterman had a down day and hasn’t quite seized his opportunity with Allen down back. Hope he can turn it around but at this stage you’d have to say he’s vulnerable when Gov and Barrass are back given Williams’ strong ruck-forward performance

- The first quarter was 30 minutes of my life I’ll never get back

- I wouldn’t go as far as bagging Nic but I do think Derm/King had a point about whether we were getting maximum value from his positioning. Doesn’t require a drastic change but sending him forward for the odd stoppage is a weapon we shouldn’t scrap entirely even if Darling is doing a serviceable job as a pinch-hitter

Darling has a habit of taking the ball out of the forward 50 ruck contest and kicking goals. It lighten's nic's load.

I'd also suggest Nic's positioning is all to do with Simpson. He is being told to hold a specific position behind the ball so that if it does come out of the forward 50 with a long kick the opposition will directly try to avoid him. While it's working it does mean he looks off the spot at times. It's the same thing we do with Mcgovern. The difference being that Gov reads the ball so well that he can actually cover the distance to be involved in that contest and as a marking threat. Against teams playing run and gun this tactic won't work with Nic but was very good against the dockers and hawks with their outs.

The Naitanui criticism (in terms of positioning and marking) I find hilarious.
He plays in a team that is the best intercept marking team in the league (or top 3 at worst), this is without Naitanui ever having to push back and tire himself out running up and back.

There is also criticism of him not getting involved in link up play and marking in midfield despite the fact our team is #2 in the league for marks.

Then there is the criticism that he doesn't get forward and take big contested marks despite the fact we're #1 at contested marks, #1 at Efficiency inside 50 and take a heap of marks per inside 50.

And the part where Nic Nat is actually meant to be used (centre clearances) we're #2 and probably #1 with Naitanui in there.

Yes it would be great if he was Max Gawn, Polly Farmer and Simon Madden rolled into one, but he's just the best tap ruckman and best contested ruckman in the game, so I guess we'll settle for that.

He isn't without criticism, but it's currently very misguided. If he's not excelling at his craft (tap work, inside bull work) then fair enough and he clearly hasn't been as dominant as his B&F year of last year, but he's also not slouching either. But complaining about him not getting enough marks is like complaining JK doesn't get enough possessions.

The Naitanui criticism (in terms of positioning and marking) I find hilarious.
He plays in a team that is the best intercept marking team in the league (or top 3 at worst), this is without Naitanui ever having to push back and tire himself out running up and back.

There is also criticism of him not getting involved in link up play and marking in midfield despite the fact our team is #2 in the league for marks.

Then there is the criticism that he doesn't get forward and take big contested marks despite the fact we're #1 at contested marks, #1 at Efficiency inside 50 and take a heap of marks per inside 50.

And the part where Nic Nat is actually meant to be used (centre clearances) we're #2 and probably #1 with Naitanui in there.

Yes it would be great if he was Max Gawn, Polly Farmer and Simon Madden rolled into one, but he's just the best tap ruckman and best contested ruckman in the game, so I guess we'll settle for that.

He isn't without criticism, but it's currently very misguided. If he's not excelling at his craft (tap work, inside bull work) then fair enough and he clearly hasn't been as dominant as his B&F year of last year, but he's also not slouching either. But complaining about him not getting enough marks is like complaining JK doesn't get enough possessions.
Look I don't care if he doesn't go into our forward 50 it when his opponent goes into their forward 50 creating an extra 200cm man putting our most inexperienced defence in about 20 years under pressure .

He gets run off every game and creates a headache for the rest of our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back