Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder: if you donate $25 or more to the GoFundMe for fellow Eagles fan AxialMat, you will receive one month of free Premium Platinum BigFooty.

Send your donation receipt to Chief to receive your free month.

The commentators can rag on Nic all they want, but you know they would have him at their club.

I’ll never understand why people want ruckman to get 20 odd possessions when they are more often than not the worst users of the footy.

If they can get some hit-outs to advantage, tackles and be an option for long kicks down the line they’ve done their job.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nic Nat is a bigger body than Fyfe . When Nic is on he is the most powerful mid Afl has ever seen His power at the stoppage is more important than a few intercept marks. Yes they would be handy . He also used to have pace to run down the quickest mids or stream away at the centre when he was slimmer . He obviously knows his body and has to be careful . His knees wont hold up to the power running and high leaping marks of old .

You'll notice Petch accumulated a lot of his points in junk time which explains him being rated above Darling. You are correct in that stats can be misleading, but alternatively some people have completely downplayed Petch's contribution which certainly wasn't mediocre even before the fourth quarter.

I almost forgot that Liam Shiels played today - he was completely invisible. Who was on him? Full credit for limiting a potential match winner.
Wow I didnt see Shiels.

I almost forgot that Liam Shiels played today - he was completely invisible. Who was on him? Full credit for limiting a potential match winner.

Wow I didnt see Shiels.

I can't believe you guys don't remember his pin point pass in defence to Bailey to set up his goal.

Nic Nat is a bigger body than Fyfe . When Nic is on he is the most powerful mid Afl has ever seen His power at the stoppage is more important than a few intercept marks. Yes they would be handy . He also used to have pace to run down the quickest mids or stream away at the centre when he was slimmer . He obviously knows his body and has to be careful . His knees wont hold up to the power running and high leaping marks of old .
He has looked injured since the port game. Perhaps because I saw that game live it hade more of impression but he was a tank in an infantry battle. At the contest - the point where the fiercest violence is require, not loose in defence.

Last edited:
Scandal: West Coast only won because the female umpire is biased as she is involved with Adam Simpson. Or at least that's what the Hawks supporters behind me expressed repeatedly today
Between this board and the Hawks fans near me, it's clear that the umpires were definitely hopelessly biased towards... the other team.
And Hawks got the free kick count 16-10. Imagine if the umpiring had actually favoured us!

A lot of positives.
Just on the young guys,
very impressed with the progress of Jones.
HEdwards looks a long term player.
Brander is starting to put together a very solid body of work.
Petruccelle is looking like he knows what game he is playing. Taken a while and add positioning and ball skill to his speed and he could be anything. It's not as if speed is our team strong point.
Williams. Looks like a very highly skilled guy for someone his size. Did more in a match than Vardy did all year.

Negatives.
Langdon still not floating my boat. Thought he'd be serviceable but he's a mile off that.
Cripps must be getting nervous. Ryan, Cameron, Rioli later in the year. Ah Chee putting in a WC career best game and Jones progressing well. Getting squeezed like a zit on a teenager.

Big negative for me is the continued slump - and I'm talking over 2 years - of Cripps. A small forward should simply not fumble the footy if he wants to play consistently. I don't think Cripps should be assured of a place any more. Doesn't seem like Simpson agrees, though.

The positive spin is that the performances of Jones and Petch may see Cripps on the outer when Ryan and Rioli return. Good options in that role, especially if Cameron pulls his finger out.

Cripps was better today, but that isn't saying much as he has been woeful all year. He should get pushed out when Rioli and Ryan return. I'd favour Petch and JJ plus these two over Cripps any day. JJ and Rioli can be effective pinch hitting a few mins in the middle too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The weakest Hawks team I`ve seen but I`m really glad we won after a dismal start ..Early in the game I thought if we were playing anyone else It would have taken a miracle to get the 4 points ..

pos;

Allen was so impressive he is a gun and gave the backline leadership and stability ..
Darling was strong all day
Gaff getting his mojo back
Kelly finding form is very important
Williams very promising 1st game back at AFL
AhChee strangely he appeared to be the one to lift the team early in hie best game for WCE kicking 4 goals ..
A win at MCG and getting the 4 points ..

Scandal: West Coast only won because the female umpire is biased as she is involved with Adam Simpson. Or at least that's what the Hawks supporters behind me expressed repeatedly today
Wait, hold up. There were actually hawks fans at the ground today?

I assumed with 15k it was all eagles crowd.

I can't believe you guys don't remember his pin point pass in defence to Bailey to set up his goal.

That aside, the stat sheet said he got 23 disposals but all of them were probably ineffectual or turnovers. Had zero impact on the game.

Really shat off with cripps - his fumbling is out of control

he fumbled one of his own bounces today ffs

mate i havnt played footy in 30 years and i dont need to look at a bounce whike im bouncing it- that's bread and butter shiite for a professional!!!

ryan comes in for whatsisface from gws but the next forward in shoukd be displacing cripps.

if you count goalless quarter for both sides merely based on more behinds scored ( not rushed) in perfect footy condition as a win then we agree to disagree.
I think he’s just using the fairly standard definition of “who scored more points”.

weve outscored our opponent by hook or by crook in 8 consecutive quarters. Not going to lose too many games doing that.

Seems an unpopular opinion, but I couldn’t care if Nic doesn’t set foot in the D50 for the rest of his career. What he does in the middle, as an extra contested midfielder & ruckman is as good as it gets and makes up for having to play 2 rucks or having to take care of an extra tall in the D50.

Tom Hickey was a great runner, took marks at both ends, could tap the ball nicely, but couldn’t carry our midfield the way Nic does.

If you want to rely on your ruckman to take a mark inside 50, he will have to take it in air with Gov/Barrass/Hurn/Shep floating. It’s not something that really burns us often.

if you count goalless quarter for both sides merely based on more behinds scored ( not rushed) in perfect footy condition as a win then we agree to disagree.

You counted the last quarter of today when we won by a whole 1 point (3.3 to 3.2) as a win. I was just going by the metric you were using.

Dermott loves to pick one "talking point" every game and hammer it home all day because he thinks it makes him sound smart.
He does have a very High Footy IQ mate. almost like warnie. Outside their field of expertise bunch of loose canons but when it comes to disaggregating the game they know what they talking about. I rate Dermie very highly and he is actually non biased and a pure footy fan and of course multiple premiership player and a nightmare to play against. Go watch the tapes to see how scary he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back