Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

+ Gaff - we need to resign him now. Yes he was that good
+ Redden massive at the coalface
+ Rioli - Class in everything, goal sense, vision, skill
+ We grind out another win, in years gone by 2017/2016 we would have lost as we could not run out games

- Achee - Barely sighted would much rather have Petracellue at least he adds pace and bite
- Huctchings - Need to get Shuey in
-Need more from Jetta

Other than that a pretty good game

Thought this too. Was always confident heading into 3 quarter time knowing we would outlast the hawks in an arm wrestle and over run them. I haven't had that feeling since 2006.

We seem to be running games out expertly this year. A credit to the fitness staff on our running over preseason. I think Naitanui said this on 7 gameday that everyone was fitter than last year. Influence of younger players?

Thought this too. Was always confident heading into 3 quarter time knowing we would outlast the hawks in an arm wrestle and over run them. I haven't had that feeling since 2006.

We seem to be running games out expertly this year. A credit to the fitness staff on our running over preseason. I think Naitanui said this on 7 gameday that everyone was fitter than last year. Influence of younger players?
More a focus on sprint training apparently.

I think its a couple of things
(a) One yes younger players - Duggan, Cole, Rioli, Liam Ryan, Petch, Waterman, Vennables helps
(b) Redden, Gaff, Yeo have found a new lever and get to more contests
(c) Having good runners Jetta, Masten helps as well

wRnGZng.gif
Final quarter he was very influential but up til then he wasn’t BAD, just not as dominant as he normally is.

What I meant was that the mids weren’t being spoon fed like they were in earlier rounds

I think its a couple of things
(a) One yes younger players - Duggan, Cole, Rioli, Liam Ryan, Petch, Waterman, Vennables helps
(b) Redden, Gaff, Yeo have found a new lever and get to more contests
(c) Having good runners Jetta, Masten helps as well
Its also been reported that previous preseason we focused a lot on skills and not much on fitness. This preseason we did a lot of fitness.
Also Last year we had a lot of injured/sore boys that struggled to run out games.

Brad Sheppard take a bow you are an absolute superstar of our team every week you put your body on the line for the team and never pull out of a contest inspiring for the rest of your team mates. All Australian honours will be rightfully yours if you can keep this form up.

+ Yeo influential in the clinches again. Even though his lateral movement looked a little less dynamic than usual with his sore knee.
+Rioli’s field kicking is simply exquisite. Capped off his day with a couple of snags (including a sensational front & square crumber’s goal). Shouldn’t have an issue with the bum tap; Razor Ray would have loved that type of interaction.
+Eddie was actually bearable today compared to the Carlton game (though that’s a low base).
+Another win in Melbourne against solid opposition.
- Gov had an off day but that’s understandable given the arrival of his first child earlier in the week.
- Sheed continues to have a lack of awareness when he’s about to be collared. Then tries to slip backwards out of the tackle. Lazy disposal by foot too on a few occasions today. Could be in the gun come selection time next week.
- The umpiring was at best described as confusing, at worst corrupt. Like they were almost looking to find free kicks for Hawthorn when overlooking ones for us. The 23-19 final count flatters us. Some truly mystifying calls/non-calls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Unpredictable Willi.
I’m pretty sure that the coaching staff and his team mates don’t know what he is going to do next.
So what hope have the opposition got to curtail his influence.
He has that undeniable Rioli trait. Not sure exactly what that is but he definitely has it.
Must have pissed off a few Hawk supporters today to see it on display and not in their colours.

Rioli has that ability to step one way and know how the defender would have reacted behind him without looking, he creates space like Mitchell did, by knowing how his actions effect others movements.

Similar to what Lycett did when he took the mark, feigned a handball to the running receiver and instinctively knew he had moved the man off the mark behind him, without having to look, then turned and hit up a target i50.

A consummate professional win. That's what good teams do. We won ugly and Hawthorn were no pushovers. Make no mistake, we would have lost this game a few years ago.

Defence wins premierships and our defence is damn good. Very average game from Mcgovern, but it didn't matter. Shep, Hurn, Gov, Barrass, Cole, Jetta are a well balanced and cohesive unit. And our midfield runs both ways. Damn good team football.

A system win today, by an excellently coached team dragged over the line by some individual brilliance from Rioli, Gaff, Nic Nat, Yeo.

Masten/Sheed sore and injured. Shuey, Ryan, recovery after the bye and there's definite upside.

10 in a row coming up. Unreal.

+
Shep is a gun.
Willie is a gun.
Duggan is a gun.

-
Hutchings I just don't rate, outside being a role player. His entire career he has been a momentum killer when hes involved in a fast ball movement chain.

Some of sheeds slow decision making is concerning me. It's Masten like .

+ My boy Duggan looking good. Looking forward to seeing him lead the team next season.

A consummate professional win. That's what good teams do. We won ugly and Hawthorn were no pushovers. Make no mistake, we would have lost this game a few years ago.

Defence wins premierships and our defence is damn good. Very average game from Mcgovern, but it didn't matter. Shep, Hurn, Gov, Barrass, Cole, Jetta are a well balanced and cohesive unit. And our midfield runs both ways. Damn good team football.

A system win today, by an excellently coached team dragged over the line by some individual brilliance from Rioli, Gaff, Nic Nat, Yeo.

Masten/Sheed sore and injured. Shuey, Ryan, recovery after the bye and there's definite upside.

10 in a row coming up. Unreal.
Flat track hopefully

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rioli has that ability to step one way and know how the defender would have reacted behind him without looking, he creates space like Mitchell did, by knowing how his actions effect others movements.

Similar to what Lycett did when he took the mark, feigned a handball to the running receiver and instinctively knew he had moved the man off the mark behind him, without having to look, then turned and hit up a target i50.

The big three.

It was a clear 50 for mine and he will get a fine at most for the umpire contact.
I’ve seen worse not given. Sicily copped a knee to the head vs Brisbane last week and it wasn’t even looked at.

Rioli may get a fine- but I’ll be very surprised if it isn’t referred straight to the tribunal & it will drag out til Tuesday. Just unwanted energy & attention away from the focus, which should be St Kilda on Saturday with us hopefully 10-1 & a game clear on top.

Yes completely out ran the Hawks,
Screenshot_2018-05-28-07-30-51-96.png Screenshot_2018-05-28-07-30-55-88.png

Positives

Most of us didn't see this season playing out like it has so far. For me one of the main reasons are the No 9 and No 29, the dynamic they bring to the team has allowed our mids to get on their bikes at times. Not only are they very good ruckman, they can both do as much work either in the contested ball, up forward or down back. Make no mistake they are huge reason for our improvement.

The ability of this team to be able to win games many ways, we have played champagne footy ( Tigers, Suns & Bulldogs) and looked bloody good doing it, we have had games where it has been ugly and had to dig in ( Blues, Hawks, Freo and Giants), we've had games were teams have challenged us ( Power, Cats) and we have wethered the storm and gone away from them, bloody good to see we have some fight and ticker in us.

Waterman- The kid is a star, i sit behind the goals at games over here, the amount of hard running this kid does is amazing, his work rate has allowed JD and JK to not have to push up the ground as much, leaving us with targets in the f50. What i really liked though was in the last quarter when Hawks were pushing he was obviously sent back to be an extra man, he had the smarts to get to the goal line and play the role of the goal keeper and it worked as he took a mark on the goal line that would most likely have been a goal.

Riloi- Any time he has the ball, you pretty much know he is going to find a target, his kicking is magical, i'm glad the club took a punt on him, he is going to be a gem for a long time hopefully.

Duggan & Cole - Love how they are not afraid to put their body on line and take a hard hit for the team, both are getting better and better with more game time.

We still have to find spots in this team for Shuey, Ryan and Venables, that is a huge positive. We have some depth.

Negatives

We missed a few set shots we would normally make.

Cripps- Last two games have been poor, and with who we have coming back he might want to step it up a notch.

Gov- Was off yesterday, Hawks put a bit of work into him, and given his week off the field you can forgive him for not being fully focused.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back