Review Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda - Rd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst part was they were 100% on their knees. They were a rabble butchering kicks in their D50.

This is why we arent going anywhere this season. Unless the team is at 100% strength we cant be trusted to run out games. The role players either cant or dont want to step up for extended periods of time when the "main guys" arent around.

Lets not beat about the bush - St Kilda are f*cken sh*t. Their defence is one of the worst in the league and their forwardline is middling on its best day. We were 35+ points up and then let them kick 8 unanswered goals. 8! When they switched the game to man-on-man in the middle our p*ss-weak tackling and contested ballgame got exposed like it usually does and we lost control. Im absolutely stunned that the bad sides can now choose to pull the trigger and chase down what should be winning margins for us.

This needs to be addressed - either by Simmo, the match committee or the recruiting team. If we on Bigfooty have been pointing the finger for years at this most glaring problem in our team then someone at the club who actually knows what they are talking about has to also know and be in a position to do something about it. It can no longer be ignored or papered over by the forwardline's efficiency. This. Is. A. Problem. And we are not going to contest until we address it.

Positives

• Petrucelle
  • Barrass
  • Kennedy
  • Winder with the first goal of his career.

Negatives
  • Went to sleep in the 2nd Half and blew the game.
  • Mcgovern can't do the kickouts. He kicked to the same area too many *ing times
  • Nic Nat having no chemistry with the rest of the midfielders
  • Tim Kelly, Dom sheed, Andrew Gaff, the rest of our ball carriers- Went to sleep.
  • Panicking for no reason
  • Terrible disposals
  • Missed tackles
  • Missed marks
  • Couldn't handle the ground ball
  • No leadership in the middle when the game was up for grabs.
  • When Nic Nat goes off, we are fked with Allen in the ruck.
  • The team was too tall- Waterman did nothing as the replacement for Shuey
  • Hurn injury
  • Fringe players doing WAFL things- Nelsen, Brander, Cole, Jones, Rotham.- Turnovers, missed marks, Long kicks to no one
Teams have figured out, you can beat the eagles with handball, knocking the ball forward and kicking the ball to the 40-45m area inside 50.

Midfield has been our problem for as long as we can remember, and I'm not sure how we fix it. We have the personnel, is it the coaching? Is it the structure? Kelly goes from a goal a game at Geelong to barely able to hit the scoreboard here. There's something not quite right about our midfield mentality.
It simply has to be the coaching.

It’s a bit of a meme that we slam Simpson whenever we have a bad loss, but our ground level players’ inability to reliably play with any physical intent has been a recurring problem for many many years now since Simpson has been the coach.

+ Petch and Brander.

- Almost everything else.
- Total failure to stand up to their pressure in the last quarter. Fumbles followed by missed handballs followed by dropped marks. Playing scared, reactionary footy and totally losing our heads.
- I’m disappointed in most of our players, but I’m most disappointed in Tim Kelly. Time and time again he fails to step up when it’s his time to lead the midfield. He looks great streaming forward when we have the wind at our backs but when the going gets tough, he goes missing. He’s a front runner, plain and simple.

Which talls do we take out? Our sides is way too tall. We need some runners in the middle.

First one out is Mr Rusty # 2.

Most who watched the Beagles play last week, I am sure would have reacted like I did when Waterman was picked ... WTF.
Last week he looked rusty and with no tank, we gambled and bought him in too soon and he played a stinker today and surprise surprise couldn't run the game out.

Tip to match committee if a player is not capable of running a WAFL game out .... you can be assured he won't be able to run an AFL game out the following week.

This is about as bad a loss in Simmo's tenure as I've seen. Few teams would allow a 53 point turn around in 28 minutes, against a team almost at the bottom of the ladder as well. What a ride

An insipid performance by the midfield, absolutely woeful. With Shuey and Hurn out, there was absolutely zero structure on field and no leadership outside the Fwd 50. We went too tall, and payed the price as well. When the panic set in, Simmo had no way to ease the pressure.

That really was unlike anything I've seen from West Coast since the Ken Judge days of decades ago. The mental weakness to allow that too happen is completely unacceptable imo.

What a bizzare year

Problem is we are a one trick pony when it comes to midfield. When Nic Nat is palming down golden nuggets to us it's all good but today where he missed some and we weren't in position and we had to get our own ball we are always in trouble. We got away with it in the first half due to Saints errors but they stopped that and overran us.

I think we are in big trouble, Collingwood can beat us next week and I'd be surprised if we bounced back like we did against Port Adelaide after the Dogs' narrow loss. Derby after that which is winnable due to their injuries then we will get poleaxed by Geelong over there. We at least need some ******* good kicks coming out of defence to help out. Witherden, Johnson anyone?

Disappointing but the window has closed.
It's more than that though. In the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter the Saints kept missing. Gov went long to the right 5 or 6 times in a row and it kept rebounding back in.

Got to learn when our contested marking is dropping off that we need to get our uncontested marking going. That's on both the kicker and the leading player (who needs to work harder than they did today).

Gov had a 2 v 0 45m out directly in front when kicking out. Didn't look there or show any interest. He's happy to do half arsed 20m kicks after marks, so clearly the risk appetite is there, just a bit lazy.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a bit of a meme that we slam Simpson whenever we have a bad loss, but our ground level players’ inability to reliably play with any physical intent has been a recurring problem for many many years now since Simpson has been the coach.

Of course it’s Simpson, he accepts it time after time with his side in a window. It’s fine he was held accountable for his soft attitude

+ve
Brander and Petch

-Ve
Midfield was well, well beaten today. No connection at all between them and Naitanui and were thoroughly out worked by Jones, Steele and Crouch. Their defensive work out ours well and truly to shame.
That's it and we missed our best defender under pressure. lazy disposal hander over the game even though we were playing poorly.
Won't happen, when have you ever seen Simpson make a big call on players? never
I see the WAFL team kicked 6 goals to 19.

If anyone is talking about dropping players - it's the midfield.
This is why we arent going anywhere this season. Unless the team is at 100% strength we cant be trusted to run out games. The role players either cant or dont want to step up for extended periods of time when the "main guys" arent around.

Lets not beat about the bush - St Kilda are f*cken sh*t. Their defence is one of the worst in the league and their forwardline is middling on its best day. We were 35+ points up and then let them kick 8 unanswered goals. 8! When they switched the game to man-on-man in the middle our p*ss-weak tackling and contested ballgame got exposed like it usually does and we lost control. Im absolutely stunned that the bad sides can now choose to pull the trigger and chase down what should be winning margins for us.

This needs to be addressed - either by Simmo, the match committee or the recruiting team. If we on Bigfooty have been pointing the finger for years at this most glaring problem in our team then someone at the club who actually knows what they are talking about has to also know and be in a position to do something about it. It can no longer be ignored or papered over by the forwardline's efficiency. This. Is. A. Problem. And we are not going to contest until we address it.
It's been 2 years. One problem I see - Guv is VC and stand in captain. Great player, but he's a prima donna. His body language says "it's everyone else's fault".

The leadership is just not strong enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much like after the hub disaster last year, these two Etihad games we should have won have killed our premiership aspirations.

Don’t get wrong we’ll win a few games, look pretty good when we get Yeo and Shuey back and probably limp into 5-8th again, but these are the games that you just have to win if you’re a WA based side and especially when you’re not getting your best midfield for another couple months.

This was always a danger game, with our two best midfielders out, but that was some lay down in the end.

- Waterman selection was unbelievably stupid. We destroyed Port last week because we went small and here we’ve gone tall against a young hungry team on the quickest deck in the land. Unconscionably stupid.

- Hurn just sucks. All round a real deflating cluster*. But if we’re being real, that midfield just isn’t good enough to beat up most sides. You can’t rely on Nic Nat to be our entire midfield, teams will figure out how to play him and at that point we need the mids to stand up.

- Kelly comically unclean with the footy. Ryan well held and played like he was injured. Plenty of mates out there.

And after that game I think I’m onboard for FKASC ‘s tackling crusade. So many crucial failed tackles just let them clear the ball.

+ Petch and Brander did some good things. In general our young players were good. Our senior players simply didn’t stand up when it counted.

Burn it down and start again.

Time for the old timers to shuffle off and a proper rebuild.

We were 5 goals up at half time playing poorly. Instead of waking up and going on we packed up for the night thinking the job was done.

Senior players were embarrassing tonight bar JK

Calling that effort insipid is being far too kind.

It starts with winning the footy. We're still desperate for mids that crack in. Our forward efficiency covered up the cracks until the Saints' supply was too much for the backs to deal with. They also increased the pressure on our transition during the third quarter, we couldn't find the easy release and barely had at a look at the goals for the rest of the game.

Positive: It's over

Negative: Panel of victorian utensil heads openly cheering for the saints.
This^^

We ran out of run - shoulda picked xon not snake..

Lots of panicking - noone able to calm it down and play our game plan - make them exhaust themselves and chase us.

Jack darling dropping gimmees in the goal square....

Didnt deserve to win that saints did.

I'm not off Simpson just yet (I'll wait to the end of the season), but to this point, clearly the coaching is a a huge issue. We're soft. That is the coaching. If we can't turn it around, he has to be moved on IMO. If we don't make top 4, or even if we make top 4 and put in one of these recurring performances, it's time for a change.

Incredibly flat right now. How can this team make you feel so optimistic one week and then so sh*t the next. Reverted back to 2015-17 eagles.

Reality is this game is the definition of the Eagles from basically 2014 until now.

2018 an outstanding example of exception to the rule.

2014- choked in about 8 close games finished in the worst spot possible 9nth
2015- choked in the big dance BIG TIME
2016- choked constantly during the season and then the mother of all chokes (until 2020) in the elimination final agaisnt the dogs
2017- scraped into 8th after choking regularly during the h/a season shuey breaks port then roll over to GWS without a whimper
2018- go unbeaten in Melbourne lose 3 guns and come from 5 goals down in the gf to win the premiership
2019- choke against hawthorn in r23 to lose a spot in the top 4 then lose to Geelong in the semi after leading at 3Q time
2020- Sook it up in the hub, lose to the dogs to bury top 4 chances then somehow outchoke 2016 by losing to the undermanned unfancied pies at HOME by a point.

This eagles team are mentally suspect.

Better see at least one of McGovern, Gaff, Sheed or Kelly out next week.
The thing all of those players played like guns last week. Then they ALL s**t the bed this week...I don't get it. I think Simmo royally ****ed up selection and tactics, probably needs a decent apportioning of the blame. I'm at a loss tbh

The midfield does need an almighty dressing down though, Fwd and Backline is quality throughout and the midfield is so far below them it's not even funny. Midfield effort was pure garbage

Still in the 8 for now I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back