Review Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone else picture David Swartz saying that Nic Nat is really just a highlight real and doesn't get enough possessions to influence matches? I mean Jack Watts had nearly as many possessions and only one less goal and Watts took heaps more marks. Probably still the right call to take Watts over Naitainui if you think about it.

Srs question which is better - that we make the top 4 and get a second chance should we lose - or to finish 5th or 6th which means we get a home final in the 1st week of the finals and hope like mad we win. Also should we be lucky enough to make the top 4 and we lose that first game, would we get a home final the 2nd week of the finals as would be playing the winner of one of the teams placed 5th to 8th.
Is that actually a serious question? You're actually asking if a home elimination final is better than a potential home prelim after a week off or at worse a home semi final.

Negative - McGovern reallllly needs to communicate better with teammates when going up for intercept marks.

Just watching the replay now and basically any time one of our guys is going up for a mark he goes over the top and often spoils them. When he marks it, it's all good, but when it goes to ground it means the opposition is free to stroll away with the footy

Playing devils advocate, its usually a good idea to come towards the kicker

I think 20m kicks to a stationary, flat footed player with an opposition player in the vicinity is pretty unforgiveable.
Masten had to be the player adjudging how close the opposition player was and whether he can make the distance in time.
Barrass cannot know the proximity of players directly behind him.

- Gov's kicking. The the second best kick above 40m but he gets way too lazy at times. As defender the last thing you want is to have a lazy kick turned over and i think because of his lazy kicks coming out of defence, the opposition have a kicked a handful of goals. Hurns kicking last night was on fire and if those two could really set us alight against the hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that actually a serious question? You're actually asking if a home elimination final is better than a potential home prelim after a week off or at worse a home semi final.
That's what I was trying to ascertain - was not sure we would get a home final in the event we make the top 4 (unlikely now) and lost the 1st week of the finals. That is all. As in my opinion getting a home final is the key to going any further (but no guarantee of course). Anyway after the weekend results can't see that we will have a hope in hell of making the top 4 now. Richmond didn't do us any favours, however we only have ourselves to blame. The losses against Adelaide at home and the Pies away will come home to roost as the saying goes.

I think 20m kicks to a stationary, flat footed player with an opposition player in the vicinity is pretty unforgiveable.
Masten had to be the player adjudging how close the opposition player was and whether he can make the distance in time.
Barrass cannot know the proximity of players directly behind him.
Flat trajectory kicks you always go to meet the ball.

Bit of column a bit of column b

- Gov's kicking. The the second best kick above 40m but he gets way too lazy at times. As defender the last thing you want is to have a lazy kick turned over and i think because of his lazy kicks coming out of defence, the opposition have a kicked a handful of goals. Hurns kicking last night was on fire and if those two could really set us alight against the hawks.
Yeah this. Gov has been doing that once a game recently and considering the standard we hold him to its giving me the irrits.

Not to mention the number of times other players have turned the ball over trying to switch the play. With our gameplan it's just an automatic goal to the oppo when you do that.

Can anyone else picture David Swartz saying that Nic Nat is really just a highlight real and doesn't get enough possessions to influence matches? I mean Jack Watts had nearly as many possessions and only one less goal and Watts took heaps more marks. Probably still the right call to take Watts over Naitainui if you think about it.
It's his job to take marks and kick goals, and he's only just started to be competent at that. Nic is a top 3 ruck in the comp, and he still kicked more goals than Watts. Probably the right call? Definitely the right call.

Big positive was that we were pretty much a man down for a lot of the game, Lycett stayed out there with his corkie but his 2 handballs highlight he was pretty much a witches hat.

That intercept was both Masten and Sexuals fault, more so the latter i'd say as you simply HAVE to attack the ball. Ironically it's actually something Masten is a serial offender for. Someone usually kicks to him with that dangerous corridor kick and he ALWAYS waits for it. Drives me bananas.

Probably the only mistake Sexual made all night.

Kicked to a stationary Barrass. I'd say the kicker is generally to blame.

Both were to blame; Masten 70% culpability for not fully assessing the danger and Barrass, 30%, for standing still and assuming the ball was simply going to lob into his hands.

PLUSES..Shuey..fantastic!! the best ive seen him operate in close
NicNat..worked hard,Probably the hardest ive seen him work
Tunbridge...For a bloke thats played a handful of games he busted his arse.I hope hes put the naysayers to bed
Kennedy..Worked harder than he has for some time.
NEGATIVES..Gaff... early looked Ssslloow
Maston...Misses easy goals stuffs up crucial passes.unfortunately hes the only mid with any pace.Straight swap for Jetta
Barass...Take body in the marking contest.Every week we see big marks taken over the top of him because he goes clean at the ball without hitting body.Where is our defensive coach?? That said he is a gun and i wouldnt not have him
Hill...When the going gets tough he goes shopping
Midfield....Looked so slow its scary.
POTENTIAL...just thought id throw in a third category
Darling...Mate you are superbly equipped for modern day footy but youve got a heart the size of a pea. Sad to see you pull out of a contest.
Yo.....same as above.at times you look lethargic.
I feel that these two guys more than anyone,can bring the biggest improvement to our team.Ive said on this forum for a long time that Nicnat papers over a lot of cracks and as fantastic as the win was,there were still a lot of negatives.

Can't believe that GWS fans are going on about the umpiring.
Even in the dying minutes Lachie Whitfield got spun, touched the ball on the ground and then the umpire called ball up.
Then a moment later he was spoiling LeCras and chopping the arm, play on.
Thought we were hard done by more than them.
There are GWS fans to actually harp on about it? Could have fooled me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back