Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

so an apology for an apology?

right...

Clearly you’re too close to this, I never said he should apologise for his apology

But with an apology addressed to the public, it’s fine for the public to pull him up on his BS

Clearly you’re too close to this, I never said he should apologise for his apology

But with an apology addressed to the public, it’s fine for the public to pull him up on his BS

I just think no matter how he addressed it he was going to be criticised by some and nothing he does will be good enough

I'm not defending him or think he has been harshly dealt with, rather just acknowledging once it came out he was on a hiding to nothing no matter what he did -

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized:

take note of the last line you Muppet. When white Australians are a minority group thats had attempted genocide, slavery and oppression built on them and was recognised as fauna until 50 years ago, maybe you can complain you absolute clown.

The verdict
Ms Clanton's claim is a myth.

Aboriginal people in Australia have never been covered by a flora and fauna act, either under federal or state law.

But despite several attempts by various people to set the record straight, the myth continues to circulate, perhaps because, as one academic told Fact Check, it "embodies elements of a deeper truth about discrimination".

It is not quite right they were considered fauna or flora act, rather the state government had jurisdiction rather than federal government. There were many reasons for this both good, others well intentioned, some practical and bad. One of the largest was the federal government grants to the states are on a per head basis and there was no desire to fund aborigines the same as white.

What can't be denied is they couldn't own land and bank loans which put them on the back foot. Before we get all worked up by this poor treatment, it should be noted women suffered the same fate but for 20 years longer. It's interesting to look back at history and appreciate how "young" the concept of a fair go actually is.

On a separate note, I would love if people inform themselves as to when drug and alcohol became a huge issue in aboriginal communities and why. Perhaps if we understand this, we can look to implement solutions that actually address the issue.

Just find it a bit odd Tex is leaning into the “education” angle

He’s been the leader of a football club, these guys are educated on this stuff all the time, him being captain more than most

Has he just been ignoring all of this until now?

This is what I find astounding. The former captain who's spent over a decade in the league, probably done A LOT of these types of in club/AFL tolerance/Anti racism meetings and functions, ect, ect, BEING AT THE FOREFRONT OF THE EDDIE BETTS BANANA THROWING EPISODE and he STILL does it. Beggars belief, really.

And - though it's not going to be a popular thought - on the scale of racist behaviour it's not cross-burning. Cop the fine, cop the games, give a sincere apology, and then prove yourself by not doing it again.

Absolutely agree.
Just to confirm, my comment was in regard to PsychoGs post #462.
He'll be reeling right now but a bit of time away will allow him to do just that I hope

Tex: Says racist thing, gets called out, admits its racist and apologises.

Big Footy: Denies racism exists because they saw a person of colour on TV at the olympics.

I mean, it's humorous, but I think the bigger issue is the people who in a nutshell look at it from the perspective of "If nobody who looks Indigenous is within earshot, how can it be offensive?" And that's what's happened here, in my opinion. Taylor Walker's done the quick head check, seen that there's no-one within earshot who looks like they'd be offended by it and let rip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie Betts and Robbie Young have reason more than any of us, excluding other indigenous posters, to stick in the boots. But both of them have been remarkably gracious towards Tex, even though it's clear that his conduct was patently offensive to them. Why? Tex has taken his deserved punishment and humiliation for his remarks (although it is arguable whether the punishment should have been more severe). But ultimately, their primary concern seems to be that we use this sorry episode as an opportunity to stamp out or reduce racism towards Aboriginal people in the community. I think they realise that we'll only achieve that goal if we are able to bring others along on the journey, especially those who are defensive or ambivalent about changing the status quo. Using this as an opportunity to beat up on Tex is, at best, a distraction from that goal and, at worst, something that is divisive and entrenches people who believe that his behaviour was acceptable (or see him as some kind of scapegoat). We have to be bigger people and see the forest from the trees - i.e., Aboriginal Australians shouldn't be facing this nonsense, not only from Tex but from the community at large.

I have been tossing up whether to post my thoughts on this subject since the story first broke as im sure what i have to say will be taken out of context if for nothing more than to give certain people something to be outraged about but here goes.

I grew up in the Elizabeth area of South Australia in the late 70's early 80's, you want to talk about racism, it was racism central, but not just one way, it was a free for all, living amongst it certainly shapes your outlook and im sorry to say that i fell into the trap.
In the early 90's i moved to a small country town which had an Indigenous community nearby and found myself again surrounded by racism from both sides of the fence.
Soon after arriving there i met a few Indigenous people and realised that they were just like me and i became friends with them but i still found myself having racist thoughts if i saw or heard something that prompted them, i was learning but still had quite a way to go, i guess ingrained learnings are hard to leave behind.
One night i was heading home and saw a car i recognised on the side of the road that belonged to an 'Auntie' a fantastic woman and respected member of the community. A little further up the road i saw a couple of Indigenous people walking along the road side that i didnt recognise.
I immediately thought they had obviously stolen the car as the owner wasnt the type of person to be out and about at that time of night and so i unleashed a barrage of verbal abuse towards who i thought were car thieves.
Boy was i wrong.
Turns out that wonderful Elder had lent her car to some of her extended family and they had run out of fuel. I didnt discover this until the following morning when i set about notifying people of my concerns, i basically dobbed myself in for my outburst and retribution was swift.

Turns out one of the people on the side of the road was a very dangerous individual, already done time for Murder and would go on to be accused of another Murder a few years later.
I was shitting myself.
Thankfully his partner who just happened to be a friend of mine said she'd deal with me and deal with me she did, she put the fear of God into me with nothing more than a fiercely pointed finger up close and personal, i got the message.
I went about trying to reconcile with her/them, the last thing i wanted to do was ruin our friendship over something totally unnecessary that id said.
They forgave and we moved on but things were never the same and i often wondered why, id appologised, they'd accepted, whats the problem.

I've read a few comments about the things Tex said in his video, the video was cringeworthy lets be honest, but the content, whilst poorly presented, resonated with me from my own experience when Tex said he would lean on Robbie.
See, you can have as much education from outside sources as you like and im sure it has its benefits, but there is nothing more eye opening than sitting and listening to those who you've hurt for a first hand view of the effects.

In my case one night i found myself sitting down having a few drinks with the guy who was on the side of the road that night and whilst he never raised the issue in a threatening manner, he made it quite clear to me that he knew we had 'history'.
I told him a bit about my upbringing and early years and he shared stories of what he experienced in his life, it was the first time i'd seen the effects of racism on someone who wasnt throwing it back at me.
I learnt more in those few hours 'leaning' on the person id racially abused than i had in the 18yrs previous or the 27yrs since.

Unfortunately some people just want to find fault with whatever they can, Tex is an idiot, im sure he'd agree and racism is completely unnecessary, but to suggest 'leaning' on your victim is an attempt to paint yourself as a victim is just bullshit.
Tex could learn more from listening to Robbie than anything he'll get elsewhere so long as Robbie is prepared to afford him that opportunity.
If Robbie is comfortable to give Tex that chance, and id say Robbie would have been fully aware of the things Tex was to say in the video and obviously didnt object, who are others to judge that as anything other than the genuine desire to reconcile and learn that it should be.

I have been tossing up whether to post my thoughts on this subject since the story first broke as im sure what i have to say will be taken out of context if for nothing more than to give certain people something to be outraged about but here goes.

I grew up in the Elizabeth area of South Australia in the late 70's early 80's, you want to talk about racism, it was racism central, but not just one way, it was a free for all, living amongst it certainly shapes your outlook and im sorry to say that i fell into the trap.
In the early 90's i moved to a small country town which had an Indigenous community nearby and found myself again surrounded by racism from both sides of the fence.
Soon after arriving there i met a few Indigenous people and realised that they were just like me and i became friends with them but i still found myself having racist thoughts if i saw or heard something that prompted them, i was learning but still had quite a way to go, i guess ingrained learnings are hard to leave behind.
One night i was heading home and saw a car i recognised on the side of the road that belonged to an 'Auntie' a fantastic woman and respected member of the community. A little further up the road i saw a couple of Indigenous people walking along the road side that i didnt recognise.
I immediately thought they had obviously stolen the car as the owner wasnt the type of person to be out and about at that time of night and so i unleashed a barrage of verbal abuse towards who i thought were car thieves.
Boy was i wrong.
Turns out that wonderful Elder had lent her car to some of her extended family and they had run out of fuel. I didnt discover this until the following morning when i set about notifying people of my concerns, i basically dobbed myself in for my outburst and retribution was swift.

Turns out one of the people on the side of the road was a very dangerous individual, already done time for Murder and would go on to be accused of another Murder a few years later.
I was shitting myself.
Thankfully his partner who just happened to be a friend of mine said she'd deal with me and deal with me she did, she put the fear of God into me with nothing more than a fiercely pointed finger up close and personal, i got the message.
I went about trying to reconcile with her/them, the last thing i wanted to do was ruin our friendship over something totally unnecessary that id said.
They forgave and we moved on but things were never the same and i often wondered why, id appologised, they'd accepted, whats the problem.

I've read a few comments about the things Tex said in his video, the video was cringeworthy lets be honest, but the content, whilst poorly presented, resonated with me from my own experience when Tex said he would lean on Robbie.
See, you can have as much education from outside sources as you like and im sure it has its benefits, but there is nothing more eye opening than sitting and listening to those who you've hurt for a first hand view of the effects.

In my case one night i found myself sitting down having a few drinks with the guy who was on the side of the road that night and whilst he never raised the issue in a threatening manner, he made it quite clear to me that he knew we had 'history'.
I told him a bit about my upbringing and early years and he shared stories of what he experienced in his life, it was the first time i'd seen the effects of racism on someone who wasnt throwing it back at me.
I learnt more in those few hours 'leaning' on the person id racially abused than i had in the 18yrs previous or the 27yrs since.

Unfortunately some people just want to find fault with whatever they can, Tex is an idiot, im sure he'd agree and racism is completely unnecessary, but to suggest 'leaning' on your victim is an attempt to paint yourself as a victim is just bullshit.
Tex could learn more from listening to Robbie than anything he'll get elsewhere so long as Robbie is prepared to afford him that opportunity.
If Robbie is comfortable to give Tex that chance, and id say Robbie would have been fully aware of the things Tex was to say in the video and obviously didnt object, who are others to judge that as anything other than the genuine desire to reconcile and learn that it should be.

thank you for your story

I am hesitant to comment on this thread as I saw how dismissive the mids were of comments on concussion they didn’t like but here goes.
As I understand it Tex tried to rev up the crows SANFL team and used a disgusting, unacceptable phrase in doing so. But does one phrase a racist make. Despite education do we revert to basic instincts & expression at times. If Tex had said ”who’s on that c… he got a 100 kicks that 1/4“ would that be more acceptable. Many women I know don’t think so. Thoughts?

Concussion. I think concussion is a serious issue with many uninformed comments. The mods disagreed so I haven’t posted on this forum since. But concussion is not the issue. Ted’s remarks are hence my questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back