Review Pre 2021 Trade Period Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought this would be a good idea so the CURRENT trade period discussion thread isn't derailed by the inevitable Mitchell, Nankervis, Membrey trades etc I even notice we are now throwing in the Daniher and Carey trades from 40 years ago.

So please go for your lives in here about any past trade periods good or bad and leave the 2021 thread to just that 2021.

We got great value from the Pitura deal.

That said he was a bloody good player and injured at the Tigers.

He once kicked 3 successive goals at Geelong from the centre. The only others to touch the ball were the boundary umps bringing it back, the central ump bouncing the ball and two idiot rucks nullifying each other.

A thread dedicated to the swans trading history?

All the talk about Mitchell, Nankervis, Aliir Aliir, Membrey, etc all in one spot?

You shouldn't have :)

(But seriously, thank you, I think this is a good idea.)

We have recruited so bad the last 4-5 in regards

Are laidler and hicky only ones from memory that have sorta paid off
Whilst true at least we didn't burn any top draft picks to bring them in. We have drafted well in that same period, hoping we can now find that trade like Jolly, Richards, Kennedy etc to complement the draftees, although losing Dawson won't help.

I don't think we recruited with any real purpose over that period. Hopefully, now a flag is back on the agenda we can regather ourselves and recruit with that in mind.

I'd say Sinclair paid off as well. Absolute soldier

I don't think we recruited with any real purpose over that period. Hopefully, now a flag is back on the agenda we can regather ourselves and recruit with that in mind.
I agree. I've said it before, there's no real advantage from adding established players to fill key roles when a club is still buidling a solid base from the draft. As our premiership window opens and we ease our salary cap space a bit next year we can start to look to fill any gaps. When I see clubs paying top $ for established stars and trading away their draft picks I think WTF ? A few stars won't lift a whole team up. The clubs are just playing the "big name" game to get their fans excited when they have bugger all else to be excited about.

Best trade period we ever had was at the end of 2009 (I think) where we picked up Mumford, Kennedy and McGlynn. That trade period setup our 2012 flag.

Don't forget offloading Jolly for the pick that would get us Jetta.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell, Tippett, Aliir, Dawson

Gotta get with the times

If only we could have traded Tippett. Last heard of he was p/t ruck coach at the Suns. I expect the campaigner is still grinding money out of us and we are subsidising the bloat in his salary.

You forgot Membrey.
And triple premiership player Nankervis.

Nankervis has more premierships in the past 80 years than the Swans do

We only kept Papley due to his contract that would of been a monumental loss going forward his energy and goal sense there is no one to replace him in the side.

Its very hard to keep improving if you're consistently losing best 22 players losing Dawson, Hewett and Papley in the space of 2 seasons would of been crippling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back