Game Day Pre-season Game v Bulldogs Saturday 1:10pm at Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest knock I have on Scott is that he is a poor man’s Sam Gibson which is not flattering at all.

He just finds the worst times to fumble and slow down play.
I thought he was really good late last year, so I’m interested in how he plays in the first month.

Not saying JZ should be in the team, but I think Clarko wants to play him first. Hall and Corr are desperately needed in our backline IMO.
Agree.

I would have both Corr and Hall in that side. But based on yesterday Perez should be out for Hall so that leaves one of Ziebell and Bonar out for Corr.

I would prefer Bonar to be honest, but think Ziebell will get the nod out of loyalty to his legacy.

Last edited:
We were lacking a defensive midfielder. Often the ball got to their midfielder forward of the centre after all our midfield players tried to gather the tap. The footy smarts of Bontempelli and co. meant they always had somebody on the outside. Makes you really appreciate how good Ben Jacobs was in the middle.
Also their hand skills were much cleaner around the bounce.

Here are my key takeaways 24 hours later:

- CCJ needs to play ahead of Xerri or Goldy. Not sure if he played at all yesterday, but we needed the flexible 3rd tall option. Interestingly we didn't use Goldy forward despite playing little in the ruck so not sure what the plan was e except that due to it being a praccy we erred on preservation than winning mentality;
- Sheezel showed in the final quarter why Jack should not be in the back 6, 7 or in the senior team. Played his role and was twice as effective. WE are trying to find Jack a spot and it shows. Shiels is the same.
- Goater is a wingman, not a HB. Should start there round 1;
- Scott has had a poor pre season and needs to be reflected in not being in the round 1 team;
- We have no small defenders or forwards, other clubs have 3-4, sad;
- Corr is definitely needed. Not sure what the rest of the back 6 looks like though as only LMac should be guaranteed and that is only because he is the captain. I would go with one of Bonar/Young, Hall (yes we need that run) and then throw a blanket over the other who needs to be a runner;
- Our midfield is too slow, I worry about the mix with Cunners despite the fact he played well. We would comfortably be the slowest team in the AFL and without TT, Hall and Wardlaw playing decent time this year, I have already rubbed 3-4 wins off my initial thoughts.
- Powell is a gun and should be playing decent centre square minutes. Philips was better later in the game after a poor start so hopefully it isn't just a reflection of the Dogs trailing off and more about his rhythm improving. I wonder if he has ever sprinted without looking like he is sitting at a desk;

There is another bloke who used to run like that and after holding the world record for nearly 20 years, 24 years later he still has the second fastest 400m of all time and the third or fourth fastest 200m.

Tend to agree with the rest of that tho. I feel for Phillips, he was up against McRae, Bontempelli and Libratore and he's played less than 20 games at that level. His time will come.

It's not about positions when discussing Turner. It's about is he best 23? A hard no for me and our time is better spent on unpacking the talents of younger players with likely more upside.
Based on preseason form? He’d absolutely be best 23. That’s as much on the playing group then it is on him. It will remain the case until someone steps up and demands his spot, hopefully sooner rather then later, but I’m not holding my breath.

No s**t ….
I’ve been saying it for years …. We are so stagnant, kick long to a 50-50 contest and have absolutely No run off half back whenever Hall doesn’t play . You’d think by now someone at the club would also have seen it by now ? And come up with remotely a plan B ?
Unfortunately, plan A is already Scott like, in the sense that Ziebell and McDonald probably will not be dropped as ex and current co-captain.

Either Corr, Dawson or Young could replace Bonar.

Which leaves Perez, Hall, TT, Drury and possibly Goater for spots 6 and 7.

Which of those players is actually smart enough to be there abouts when Logue and McKay intercept or bring he ball to ground? Which players do we have who are also then smart enough to actually then find a target and not just blaze down the line?

At the end of the day a "whirlpool" could resemble flushing a turd that refuses to go down.

Montagna saying how the smile has gone off Clarksons face . Sayings it’s taken a half of footy and laughing as he’s saying it . What a douche bag he is .

I think we were undone yesterday, firstly by the bulldogs having a four tall forward line, Darcy at 204 cm, Lobb, 207, Naughton 195 and Ugle- Hagan 197 versus Mckay at 201, Logue, 194 and Bonar at 188 as our tall defenders. With their midfield dominant our defence was never going to cope and Bonar must wonder why he is always asked to play against blokes who are giants compared to him. Dawson at 194 should have been there to just to take one of those ahead of Bonar.

Secondly, in contrast we had just two genuinely tall forwards in Larkey, 198 and Comben 199 versus three tall backs in Bruce, 198, Jones 197 and Keath 197. Comben was all at sea. Add to that the fact that when we came out of defence, our boys looked for Jones at every opportunity, just to help him slot back into the big time in the easiest possible fashion. Either Coleman-Jones should have played, to even things up or Goldy and Xerri should have rested up forward to try to even things up a bit.

While your suggested changes to the team may have made us a little more competitive on the day, should we pick a team in a practice match to line up better against the other team or should we pick the team closest to the one we expect will play in round 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were lacking a defensive midfielder. Often the ball got to their midfielder forward of the centre after all our midfield players tried to gather the tap. The footy smarts of Bontempelli and co. meant they always had somebody on the outside. Makes you really appreciate how good Ben Jacobs was in the middle.
Also their hand skills were much cleaner around the bounce.

Agreed. People potting Comben and Bonar are completely missing the point. We got taught a lesson in the midfield and as Patch said Powell and Phillips in particular will learn a lot from that. Easy to forget with covid interruptions and then glandular last year Phillips has played about 15 games in 3 years meanwhile that Dogs midfield played off in a grand final about 18 months ago. Their time will come as Ferbs said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. People potting Comben and Bonar are completely missing the point. We got taught a lesson in the midfield and as Patch said Powell and Phillips in particular will learn a lot from that. Easy to forget with covid interruptions and then glandular last year Phillips has played about 15 games in 3 years meanwhile that Dogs midfield played off in a grand final about 18 months ago. Their time will come as Ferbs said.

For sure, and certainly, we could have kept Jed Anderson and we could run out with Hugh Greenwood, Jed and Cunners for all our centre bounce contests while Powell and Phillips play VFL and LDU and Jy play half forward. But that gets us nowhere. We need to give these blokes time and experience at this level.

For sure, and certainly, we could have kept Jed Anderson and we could run out with Hugh Greenwood, Jed and Cunners for all our centre bounce contests while Powell and Phillips play VFL and LDU and Jy play half forward. But that gets us nowhere. We need to give these blokes time and experience at this level.

Exactly

My highlights from yesterday
  1. Bonar-fied slipping over in the square and mongrel punting it to Scotts who dropped it like a 1000 yr old ming vase. Bulldogs put it through the big sticks
  2. The Bulldogs forwards all trying to take the mark of the year in a practice match. And nearly succeeding
  3. Comben deciding to not lead and wait to get pantsed by a dude smart enough to not get hobbled by vaccines.
  4. Cunners
  5. Powell
  6. The non-selection of CCJ, I mean again that is telling.
  7. We did kick a semi decent score
  8. Curtis
  9. Sheezel
  10. Goater
  11. Larkey

My highlights from yesterday
  1. Bonar-fied slipping over in the square and mongrel punting it to Scotts who dropped it like a 1000 yr old ming vase. Bulldogs put it through the big sticks
  2. The Bulldogs forwards all trying to take the mark of the year in a practice match. And nearly succeeding
  3. Comben deciding to not lead and wait to get pantsed by a dude smart enough to not get hobbled by vaccines.
  4. Cunners
  5. Powell
  6. The non-selection of CCJ, I mean again that is telling.
  7. We did kick a semi decent score
  8. Curtis
  9. Sheezel
  10. Goater
  11. Larkey

My highlight was fluking a car park right outside the ground.

Second was not punching the campaigner who had the “doggie, doggie, doggie” chant going 22 times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back