Game Day Pre-season Game v Bulldogs Saturday 1:10pm at Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought they were fitter than us.
100%. Bont aside, our midfield are just as skilful/talented as theirs, arguably with a higher ceiling. However their workrate far exceeded ours and their structure/running patterns were far better. It will be a few years before Phillips and Powell develop the tanks to deliver the same level of workrate. Hopefully the structure/running patterns can be improved quicker than that. Talent wise our midfield is great but the workrate just isn't there yet.

I think it was clear that when we won possession, especially in the second half, teammates weren't prepared to run hard and provide options. Sleevo was the exception as he was fresh. Not sure if we were gassed or just running at 80% to conserve ourselves but there was a clear difference between the teams in that regard.
He really stood out as the only one working hard to provide an option. Has to play round 1 for that reason.

We desperately need two damaging outside types that can accumulate the footy, and actually use the footy.

One across half back, and ideally one on the wing. Hard runners, who can find the footy at will.

A Sam Docherty or Bailey Dale type across half back.

A Bailey Smith or Andrew Gaff type on the wing.

We lacked it for so long. As much I’m happy with Brayden George I would’ve loved to have Lachie Cowan on the list developing as that half back distributor role.

On a side note anyone buy a beer yesterday $10 a can GOAT and Great Northern which they ran out of before quarter time. That’s $240 a slab effin ridiculous
No But my wife would have killed for a coffee....so she told me......and told me.....and told me!!!!

We desperately need two damaging outside types that can accumulate the footy, and actually use the footy.

One across half back, and ideally one on the wing. Hard runners, who can find the footy at will.

We lacked it for so long. As much I’m happy with Brayden George I would’ve loved to have Lachie Cowan on the list developing as that half back distributor role.
I would hope we will be looking right at Lorenz.

One across half back,and ideally one on the wing. Hard runners, who can find the footy at will.

Goater will be one just need to find another...This kids got talent ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perez, Bonar, Turner and Chom are the ones who are in the gun for round 1 IMO

Chom and Turner safe as houses.

Sugar looks reinvigorated this preseason. Chom needs games.

Perez, Bonar and Jack shouldn’t be playing firsts unless there’s nobody else available.

I expected more from Shiels too.

I thought they were fitter than us.
Fitter, stronger, well drilled, followed a very structured game plan that made them predictable to each other and they had a bit more finesse with the finer motor skills. The throwing wasn't as evident yesterday but in some of the tight spots they just tumbled the ball with two open hands to the advantage of a teammate and that w@nker with the headband apparently cannot be pinged for holding the ball, throwing or holding the man. It is as though the umpires idolised him.

I also thought that early in the game they laid a few bumps and hard tackles and a few of the North players were taken by surprise, not expecting to cop knocks in a practise match. Luke McDonald for example.

We need four Sheezels

Why stop at four?
05_20120703_4112-Cheezels-vs-Toobs_cheezel-just-fit-on-fingers,-i-used-to-have-smaller-fingers-or-they've-made-them-smaller.jpg

I’m hoping we can find a way of “simplifying” lmac’s role into becoming an interceptor who keeps medium forwards accountable, but who also encourages someone else to do all the kickins, and gives the pill to Goater or Bergman or TT 80% of the time with short perfects 20m kicks.
Well they need to run to the space in front of him. That s**t handball he turned over in front of goal - we should have had someone there to receive it but no one took it on. Against Richmond we were doing that much better.

LMac and Jack both have insane attack on the contest and can get the ball and get movement off the backline but players need to be there in support to generate that run off the HBL.

Perez, Bonar, Turner and Chom are the ones who are in the gun for round 1 IMO
Feel sorry for Bonar having to play 3rd tall against a fwd line of Naughton, Lobbe, Jamara, and Darcy! I'd really like to see what he could do as a running half back don't know if he gets that opportunity. But if Corr is fit, you'd have to think he makes way, and personally feel that Young warrants selection over Perez at the moment.

+1 X was good today and Goldie was average. Some peoples bias against X is showing..m
I thought Xerri was doing okay until he got outbodied at a throw in by Naughton who sent it forward for a goal. That was bad.

Chom and Turner safe as houses.

Sugar looks reinvigorated this preseason. Chom needs games.

Perez, Bonar and Jack shouldn’t be playing firsts unless there’s nobody else available.

I expected more from Shiels too.
Turner tries but I would rather Drury or Sleevo in the forward line.
Chom was crap but willing to persevere for a month because we need to. If he produces what he did on the weekend over a month, he’s gone.
Perez was a disgrace - give me Bergman who showed a lot. If Hall is fit he comes in.
Really disappointed with Bonar. Over the preseason everyone was saying what a standout he has been. Then he produces that crap, but he was 20cms shorter than his opponent. I want him to make it and if he has a genuine matchup, then I will make comment on what he does.
Jack will play for a month and let’s see what he does. I thought he did ok yesterday. Clarko will give him a go first.
Shiels looks like a 50-50 bet

I'd give Goldy the benefit of the doubt - there is literally no need for a player like him who works his arse off all season to go hard in a practice match. He came good last year as soon as he was given a proper role again and I'm willing to let that occur again.

At that age I guess we will never know until the seasons starts and we find out if he's approaching the wall or cruising. I'd put money on the latter though for now. He's proven time and again what he can do.
We have had posters on here calling for Goldstein’s removal from the squad for the last five years due to age and year they end up with egg on their faces. That may happen again this year, it may not…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back