Preview Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Fri 16 Sept, 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look im not sure why all the hate on kolo... look I understand his disposal of the ball when under pressure can be shocking... but as a defender he does a good job... especially if he went down and the have Joe and Hipworth, were getting a little stretch for height..
We can still match up good with Collingwood without him.
Id be very concerned if we play Sydney... Reid, Buddy, McDonald that in Sydney is very concerning in defence is not good if Kolo isn't playing...

I know that's next week, that if we get over Brisbane first
JK the defender is an asset - he's really solid in terms of his defensive jobs and gets beaten a lot less than some would give him credit for

The bigger concern is JK with ball in hand, especially in open play deep in the opposition's forward line - that's when one almost covers their eyes and peeps out between their fingers to see what eventuates

Wouldn't that make it more interesting then?

Or are you just living out worst case scenario possibilities so that you can already feel correct about your assertions?

No, I just want the guy that shits himself in pretty much every big game shunted. Nothing to do with me other than the fact I want to see us win a flag.

You think that’s the logic? You’re missing the point if that’s the case.
I think they are going with what has worked this year. They are backing the players and the system in to get it done.
Whether we win or not I don’t know.
However it looks like they are putting belief in what has worked for them instead of making panicked changes.

You think that’s the logic? You’re missing the point if that’s the case.
Okay so in the hypothetical, bring Parfitt in. Keep in mind Blicavs has been a permanent midfielder all season besides a couple of times Stewart wasn't available.

Who takes Daniher, Hipwood and McStay?

Midfield rotations are currently Blicavs, Atkins, Danger, Selwood, Guthrie and at times Holmes or Duncan. 7 guys for 3 rotations. How many defenders do we have to take their three key forwards if Kolo isn't in?

How does it drain so well

They spent a crap load of time and money digging up the whole arena about 17 years ago (not sure on the year).
And drainage was put in.

People were going there to get turf for their backyard.

People carry on about marvel being hard. Players say the mcg is the hardest surface.

They put lights on that ground everyday on the mcc side. They are underneath the southern stand. I’ve seen them many times.

That ground is curated to the minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sensing a massive Dangerfield game.
Im yet to see him really play a blinder in a final but id take 2 in the next 2 weeks, pity he will start on the bench more than likely tomorrow night, would be good to see him go crash bash into the first contest and set the tone.

Okay so in the hypothetical, bring Parfitt in. Keep in mind Blicavs has been a permanent midfielder all season besides a couple of times Stewart wasn't available.

Who takes Daniher, Hipwood and McStay?

Midfield rotations are currently Blicavs, Atkins, Danger, Selwood, Guthrie and at times Holmes or Duncan. 7 guys for 3 rotations. How many defenders do we have to take their three key forwards if Kolo isn't in?

For a start it’s likely to be wet. Secondly we’ve got De Koning, Stewart and Henry who play a team defense game. Every contest isn’t one on one! Based on your logic, if Bris picked 6 tall forwards, we’d have to pick 6 tall defenders. It’s a nonsense. If anything by having one less tall gives us more run out of def 50.

Duncan has been playing at half back rather than as a mid. So that’s one less from your rotations.

For what it’s worth, I’d be comfortable if O’Connor was named - he provides far more flexibility than Kolo if you are looking for a player to be able to play multiple roles.

I think they are going with what has worked this year. They are backing the players and the system in to get it done.
Whether we win or not I don’t know.
However it looks like they are putting belief in what has worked for them instead of making panicked changes.

One change isn’t panicking. We’ve played games without Kolo and the defence has performed well.

Don’t think we’ll lose this week regardless but it concerns me that in a further week we should be playing Parfitt against either the Swans or Pies and he hasn’t had a game in a month.

Yes I mentioned that, and it's for that reason I think he plays.
Can't be an effective GF sub otherwise.

For a start it’s likely to be wet. Secondly we’ve got De Koning, Stewart and Henry who play a team defense game. Every contest isn’t one on one! Based on your logic, if Bris picked 6 tall forwards, we’d have to pick 6 tall defenders. It’s a nonsense. If anything by having one less tall gives us more run out of def 50.

Duncan has been playing at half back rather than as a mid. So that’s one less from your rotations.

For what it’s worth, I’d be comfortable if O’Connor was named - he provides far more flexibility than Kolo if you are looking for a player to be able to play multiple roles.
If that's the structure they wanted to go with, don't you think they'd have tried it out during the season when Kolo was available?

Kolo scares me to death at times with ball in hand too - it's more of an issue in finals than H&A. But we like to give guys like Touhy, Henry and Stewart the license to roam/intercept where they see fit. Kolo along with Bews and SDK are more of our classic lockdown defenders to balance it out.

I can sympathise with a general view that you would prefer they decided on a different structure this season - Blicavs back, or Henry as a lockdown key position defender etc. Expecting them to swap Kolo for Parfitt and shuffling the rest of the deck for a prelim is an entirely different matter.

And you're right - MOC for Kolo at least makes a modicum of sense. Parfitt for Kolo just doesn't, whether we're playing in the Sahara or in a monsoon.

JK the defender is an asset - he's really solid in terms of his defensive jobs and gets beaten a lot less than some would give him credit for

The bigger concern is JK with ball in hand, especially in open play deep in the opposition's forward line - that's when one almost covers their eyes and peeps out between their fingers to see what eventuates

Haha so true, Danger Danger Will Robinson. (omitted from Bris team BTW)
then the relief. But I think they got onto him about that mid season, because he now seems to take a short safe option, and that tight D unit know him and back him. It's MOC who can *uck up in that area too. Mind you, they can both be a beautiful safe kick down the line when free.

I just feel like he gunna make a statement. He obviously not happy starting on the bench, it just feels like it’s set up for a huge Dangerfield special.

I've monitored him closely this week through 5 replays. Pies game he did well enough, but he couldn't get that breaking free element going with the pies closed up pressure and watching De Gooey at centre bounce. I think we know this game will be more open, Brisvegas trying to do it with run rather than contested ball. In that case, if the Cats game is on, he will get every chance, and he has a great working relationship with Selwood.
Expecting beast mode, and trample Zorko.

SDK/Henry/Kolo on the brissy talls makes a lot of sense, leaves Duncan/Zuth/Stewart free to intercept and more importantly its the structure we've used all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back