Preview Preliminary Final vs Richmond @ Adelaide Oval 16/10/20

Remove this Banner Ad

I rewatched the Round 11 game the other night. We won by 21 points, and it was the closest that they could have hoped to get to us.
  • It was 2 goals 9 points that made up the margin.
  • Robbie was robbed of an open goal when the siren sounded at half time as he strolled into the goalsquare
  • Lynch got a gimme goal from a free kick that obviously should have gone to Clurey when Dusty gave made him walk the plank
  • Dusty got a goal from an obvious HTB free against Riewoldt
  • Robbie got ridden into the ground without the ball 40m out from goal
  • We put the cue in the rack with 5 minutes to go, when our foot was on their throats
Of course, it all means nothing for this week, but they weren't terrible that game - we were just so much better. We must prove it again next week.

I rewatched the Round 11 game the other night. We won by 21 points, and it was the closest that they could have hoped to get to us.
  • Robbie was robbed of an open goal when the siren sounded at half time as he strolled into the goalsquare
  • Lynch got a gimme goal from a free kick that obviously should have gone to Clurey when Dusty gave made him walk the plank
  • We put the cue in the rack with 5 minutes to go, when our foot was on their throats
Of course, it all means nothing for this week, but they weren't terrible that game - we were just so much better. We must prove it again next week.
For mine, the biggest questions for Port are whether you have a suitable match-up for Lynch and who can bob up for 2-3 goals besides Dixon. You got 3 from Motlop against Geelong but I still reckon Gray is the most likely and probably the barometer in terms of the forwards.

I am not intimidated by Richmond in the least. I may end up with egg all over my face in a week, but I have been underwhelmed by them this year.

History is a funny thing. If we beat them next week the narrative is that they never got going in Covid-year. Too many obstacles blah blah blah. If we lose, it’s to a great team, a dynasty. Either way, it seems all about them. The only way this year‘s story is about us is if we win the big prize. Maybe it’s always like that.

But watching tonight reinforced what a smug bunch of campaigners they are. Lynch is the worst. His knee to the head was a dirty act. SPP would get 6 games for that. Lynch will get a fine. I hope he dies alone.

For us, we knew from the start, we have to beat the best to be the best. Bring them on.

I am not intimidated by Richmond in the least. I may end up with egg all over my face in a week, but I have been underwhelmed by them this year.

History is a funny thing. If we beat them next week the narrative is that they never got going in Covid-year. Too many obstacles blah blah blah. If we lose, it’s to a great team, a dynasty. Either way, it seems all about them. The only way this year‘s story is about us is if we win the big prize. Maybe it’s always like that.

But watching tonight reinforced what a smug bunch of campaigners they are. Lynch is the worst. His knee to the head was a dirty act. SPP would get 6 games for that. Lynch will get a fine. I hope he dies alone.

For us, we knew from the start, we have to beat the best to be the best. Bring them on.
Port have been top of the table since R1 despite the challenges of the hubs. That matters.

But now you have to stop Richmond winning a third flag, which would demand we rate them as one of the great sides of the 21st century, alongside Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn. They don't deserve to be in that category but you can't argue with 3 flags in 4 years.

Geelong are limited. Brisbane have been kissed on the dick by the fixture. I'm not ready to talk about Collingwood.

You are our last hope.

I can't recall being so keen on another team winning it in the absence of the blue and gold.

Big Scotty Lycett for the Norm.

Last edited:

Difference in that game vs next week:

PA IN: burton, rozee, marshall, ebert, motlop

RICH IN: houli, edwards, nankervis, prestia, cotchin (if not suspended)

MASSIVE 😳

(Our outs would be georgiades woodcock sutcliffe lienert and farrell)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is in that game we came against your side as close to full strength as you can get and our system managed to keep us right in it with you winning every KPI that matters. I have been looking forward to a rematch and to have it in a PF, I could not ask for more. I wont mention missed free's or what if's or what could a been's as both sides have that but the biggest difference to me that will change the result is the teams. Below is who we had missing that will be playing last time we met.

Nank,Cotchin, Edwards, Prestia and Graham - That essentially is our midfield, the only midfielder who played last time was Martin ( Shai was in his 4th game as a mid). We also get Astbury back as well, finally someone to play on Dixon while Balta covers your other tall and Grimes floats as an intercepter. We also wont be coming off a 4 day break either :)

Anyway regardless, win or lose I am proud that this will be our 4th PF in a row, huge achievement considering where we have come from. If you guys lose, again walk away with pride as you will have sustained top 4 chances in the years coming.

Games going to be a cracker and my tip, whoever wins on Friday will go a head and win it all.

The thing is in that game we came against your side as close to full strength as you can get and our system managed to keep us right in it with you winning every KPI that matters. I have been looking forward to a rematch and to have it in a PF, I could not ask for more. I wont mention missed free's or what if's or what could a been's as both sides have that but the biggest difference to me that will change the result is the teams. Below is who we had missing that will be playing last time we met.

Nank,Cotchin, Edwards, Prestia and Graham - That essentially is our midfield, the only midfielder who played last time was Martin ( Shai was in his 4th game as a mid). We also get Astbury back as well, finally someone to play on Dixon while Balta covers your other tall and Grimes floats as an intercepter. We also wont be coming off a 4 day break either :)

Anyway regardless, win or lose I am proud that this will be our 4th PF in a row, huge achievement considering where we have come from. If you guys lose, again walk away with pride as you will have sustained top 4 chances in the years coming.

Games going to be a cracker and my tip, whoever wins on Friday will go a head and win it all.
“As close to full strength as you can get” Looooool what?

we had just as many injuries as you that game mate

Make no mistake it was warm and humid last night at metricon. It took a lot out of the players we should be able run all over them in the last half next week.Richmond will be looking for a fast start if we keep it tight early and go into half time thereabouts we will be ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back