Premier League Most Disappointing 30: 2016/17 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite his stats he had a an average season. That was pretty obvious watching the bloke play.

As you say not bought for one season - expecting him to improve massively next season. Having said that when you drop 89m quid on a player you really do expect them to be the finished article and be the driving force behind your team.
Well that's not true at all. How much have you actually seen?

Heaps. I watch Pogba play all the time as well as all of the Les Bleus players. You won't find too many people arguing he has had a good season apart from Utd fans.
Well shock horror.

People were into Pogba as soon as he was signed. FB went into overdrive. Unless Utd won the PL or went close, and Pogba was in contention for the Ballon D'or, everyone was gonna lay into him.

28 - Odion Ighalo [WATFORD]

Appearances: 18, Goals: 1, Assists: 1

After being of the surprise packets of last season with 17 goals, Odion Ighalo was unable to back it up this campaign scoring just once in 18 appearances before leaving for China in January for £20 million.

But in doing so he has cemented himself in folklore as a true one season wonder alongside names such as Amr Zaki, Roque Santa Cruz & Harry Kane. Illustrious company.
******* lol :D

If Xhaka learns the red card rule he'll be a good player imo
Does need to know when to pull back but he's only actually done one bad tackle for us (the two footer against Burnley which he was rightly sent off for). The first red was an absolute joke, tackle that any other player would have got a yellow far. That was on reputation imo.

He seems to be settling in well now in a proper role as that deep lying play maker. Wouldn't be surprised if he winds up on this list purely due to how much he cost, but I'm very happy with the player we've got so long as we give him a midfield partner that works.

The funniest thing is, I still prefer Inler to Xhaka. Always seemed the better player.
Regardless of that opinion Inler is 32, Xhaka is only 24 and hasn't even hit his peak yet. Impossible to compare players at such different stages of their careers.

Heaps. I watch Pogba play all the time as well as all of the Les Bleus players. You won't find too many people arguing he has had a good season apart from Utd fans.
I don't know how you do it whenever I try to watch Pogba I can't find him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of that opinion Inler is 32, Xhaka is only 24 and hasn't even hit his peak yet. Impossible to compare players at such different stages of their careers.
The same Inler who couldn't get a game over 35 year old Cambiasso?

Inler was the Cambiasso replacement. Cambiasso left before Inler came in.

Inler’s problem was that Kante was present, adapted way faster than Inler, and by that time, the writing was on the wall. There was something there, but well, we were performing. To think many thought he would be the best player in our team, lol.

But really, Inler’s performances for Switzerland in the same period as Xhaka were night and day. He definitely still had it, just not for us.

Yes, Xhaka is younger, and the market is crazy, but I don’t know what people expected when they got in Xhaka. I still think that you probably could’ve gotten better performances with Inler for much less.

Xhaka’s second season is going to be an important one. Perhaps he will justify his value for Arsenal. I'm not convinced. Then again, I said the same about Harry Kane in his time with us.

Xhaka wasn't anywhere near as bad as people make out IMO.
Just not what you really needed. Need that Kante or Makélélé player still.
Powerful midfields bully Arsenal's atm.

Yes, Xhaka is younger, and the market is crazy, but I don’t know what people expected when they got in Xhaka. I still think that you probably could’ve gotten better performances with Inler for much less.
Sure we could have got him on the cheap and maybe got one season out of him, but Inler has been on the decline for the last few years, is now in the Turkish footballers retirement home and not even getting picked for the Swiss NT anymore so I don't see why he would be better than Xhaka who is a stalwart in that team.

We have bought Xhaka for the long term and after a slow start he is starting to look like a very good player for us, and will only get better.

Sure we could have got him on the cheap and maybe got one season out of him, but Inler has been on the decline for the last few years, is now in the Turkish footballers retirement home and not even getting picked for the Swiss NT anymore so I don't see why he would be better than Xhaka who is a stalwart in that team.

We have bought Xhaka for the long term and after a slow start he is starting to look like a very good player for us, and will only get better.
I’ll admit, that’s our fault for killing his career. The Swiss boss wanted him to get picked for Leicester games, despite the fact he was far and away the best performer for the Swiss. He would still be playing for them had we played him more. We killed him, and forced him into pasture.

Well, hopefully he does come good and truly succeed Inler next season, the Swiss are still not quite themselves, so it would be cool to see that again.

Flopba has had a bang average season. For the money spent, he was a huge disappointment. He has time to turn it around though.
This.

Flopba would be seen as having a decent season had he cost around £20m. The fact he was over four times that makes him a shoe-in for this list.

I agree also that he could turn it around. Next season is massive for him

Just not what you really needed. Need that Kante or Makélélé player still.
Powerful midfields bully Arsenal's atm.
Arsenal ****ed it up when they opted to pass on Kante, Xhaka is a decent player though, needed a bit of an adjustment but I reckon he'll turn into a very good player for us and will be at Arsenal for a long time.

I’ll admit, that’s our fault for killing his career. The Swiss boss wanted him to get picked for Leicester games, despite the fact he was far and away the best performer for the Swiss. He would still be playing for them had we played him more. We killed him, and forced him into pasture.
Nah Inler was already on the decline by the time you signed him. His last season at Napoli he was in and out of the team featuring in less than half of the games and not playing a single minute in Europe, there was a reason they let him go for a fairly paltry sum. He went to Leicester chasing more game time to get back on the radar of the NT which backfired on him as he got even less.

Also Xhaka has been a regular starter for Switzerland since 2012 (many times alongside Inler) it's not like he has just popped up when Inler signed for Leicester and dropped out of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back