Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care how big English's legs are, I want him to stop getting bullied by the likes of Sam Draper. Sam Draper may have worked on his legs too.

Sam Draper is not the only one to bully him there were others.

Hopefully it gets rectified soon

Draper is gonna be bullying every ruck in the afl soon . Blokes a beast

He's very good, but Tim is a year older and taller. It's time to stop the excuses. Tim's got to start breaking even. Hopefully this year. No more 'next years'.

The proposition with English is the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight. He’s been big enough for a couple of years now. The mind needs to match the body.

Yeah we've seen when he decides to get really competitive and fight that he's a very dangerous player, he just has a tendency to let himself get bullied by average journeymen ruckmen like Pittonet and have no impact. It's all mental with him.

He's very good, but Tim is a year older and taller. It's time to stop the excuses. Tim's got to start breaking even. Hopefully this year. No more 'next years'.
I don't think it really matters in some cases, sometimes blokes are just naturally stronger regardless of their age/weight/height. Adam Treloar is one of the strongest blokes on our list.

Really? I don't see anything like that... Thought he was extremely poor last season for all the hype.
not saying he’s the most talented but he’s very strong and physical for he’s age , will end up being the next Shane mumford type that bully’s everyone. Timmy’s definitely got him covered for skill

Really? I don't see anything like that... Thought he was extremely poor last season for all the hype.

Draper is very overrated in my opinion. Very limited ruckman, but credit where it’s due, that could make him dangerous. I think he knows he’s limited and needs to make up for it with aggression in the ruck contest, but he doesn’t seem like the thug type at least.

He gets hyped up a lot as he’s a “cult hero” and plays for Essendon, the same club with the media’s best hybrid mid-forward in the game, Mr Stringer. Draper is a mid tier ruck, but still time in his side

Would love dead eye Bont to return this year, bloke couldn’t miss in his first few years and all of a sudden accuracy fell off the face of the planet - still usually kicks em when it matters but he’d be a 35+ goal midfielder if his accuracy returned

I think Bont's goal kicking accuracy is better than his stats. He takes heaps of shots from around the 50 and lots of his misses hit the post or just miss.

Draper is very overrated in my opinion. Very limited ruckman, but credit where it’s due, that could make him dangerous. I think he knows he’s limited and needs to make up for it with aggression in the ruck contest, but he doesn’t seem like the thug type at least.

He gets hyped up a lot as he’s a “cult hero” and plays for Essendon, the same club with the media’s best hybrid mid-forward in the game, Mr Stringer. Draper is a mid tier ruck, but still time in his side
He's like the Jake Stringer of rucks. Makes for an amazing highlight reel, and has these games where he's just a step above the competition, but the bulk of his season is at a fairly average level, with more than a handful of poor games thrown in. Still think he's going to be seriously good one day, but the media went way too early on the Draper hype, which was inevitable when half the footy journalists are Essendon fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been watching this because it has so much of what I want us to be doing this year. English putting Gawn on the ground, Baz hitting a target by foot at speed, Garcia backing himself in for the goal.

And Robbie putting a block on so Baz has free passage into forward 50

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What's the ground like at Skinners? Would have been 20 years since I've been there. Always a big deck but was fairly run down when I was last there
Last time I was there I recall Terry Wheeler yelling at Danny Del Re for not chasing hard enough. Will rock up tomorrow for the training at 9:30 am. Can't wait to see some footy after my hard earned Argentina celebrations for winning the World Cup.

here, here, its his passive nature, and lack of want to compete at times that has been the problem, his legs have been strong for a couple of years now.

getting bigger is going to help, and give him more confidence, but as you say, it isnt the primary cause, the primary cause is psychological/ temperament related.

The reason im so critical of him is that ruck is the one position where you definitely cant afford timidity. Its the first touch in many sequences in play, it sets the tone/ level of aggression and effort, and is massive with 6/6/6. Watch the Carlton game last year, for an example of what 10 minutes of 'Little Timmy' can do to the team and scoreboard. And its not just getting beaten, i can handle that, its like he morphs/ regresses to a little boy sometimes, and then morphs back. I do like the way he often responds afterwards though. I love 'Big Timmy', he's ok in the ruck, and fantastic around the ground, an elite ruck on the whole. But 5 minutes of 'Little Timmy' can undo a half of good football from 'Big Timmy'. 'Little Timmy' sometimes doesnt even contest boundary throw ins, just lets the opposition ruck have his way. I wish there was some way to stop 'Little Timmy' from appearing, i havent noticed any pattern to his appearance, it can happen anytime. You might argue he appears less these days?
id love nothing more than for him to prove me (and many others on here) wrong, but Leopards dont often change their spots, especially mid career, and (unforunately) i expect to see some more of 'Little Timmy' this year. Hopefully a little less than previous years though.

Al Dente: a mate of mine has the same criticisms of English and he calls him Timid. I often agree with him. I think he needs an angry pill, because at times he really looks Timid when rucking. I think experience will get rid of that timidity that my mate detests.

He's like the Jake Stringer of rucks. Makes for an amazing highlight reel, and has these games where he's just a step above the competition, but the bulk of his season is at a fairly average level, with more than a handful of poor games thrown in. Still think he's going to be seriously good one day, but the media went way too early on the Draper hype, which was inevitable when half the footy journalists are Essendon fans
Draper is fine at the moment, not much ruck craft, all hustle and bustle. He is a more athletic Nankervis without the cheap shots. If he had a regular haircut though you wouldn't notice him as much on the field.

not saying he’s the most talented but he’s very strong and physical for he’s age , will end up being the next Shane mumford type that bully’s everyone. Timmy’s definitely got him covered for skill
Strong and physical doesn't mean much when your opponent is staying scoring chains and presenting as a marking thread around the ground.

English will only ever be 'ok' at CBAs but elite around the ground. We've backed him in as our no 1 ruck for a while now so that's our blueprint.

I think I would take Draper over English.

I would trust him more in the big moments.
Like I said earlier, currently Draper is a good hand who gets overblown because he plays for Essendon and has big floppy hair. If Draper ever plays a game like big Timmy did v. Melbourne last year in round 19 I'd be shocked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back