Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper wasn’t awesome last year but is young and carried a big load for a struggling team. I still believe he’ll have at least one All Australian season in his career.

Tim was tracking that way before concussion last year, his time is now

Draper wasn’t awesome last year but is young and carried a big load for a struggling team. I still believe he’ll have at least one All Australian season in his career.

Tim was tracking that way before concussion last year, his time is now

He can wait a while, Timmy is getting the next 10

Re: Timmy I just don't want to see him getting absolutely abused by mid tier rucks in the contest anymore. Even if he breaks even against your Pittonet types that will be huge as he'll dominate them around the ground.
My thought/observation re Tim isn't that he is timid as some have suggested. Two things to remember, he began rucking at the elite level as a seriously skinny kid physically, way behind those he was opposing [and developing a mature ruck body takes time], and secondly he was pretty new to the ruck role anyway, having played very little during his junior developmental years. What I find hard to understand is his seeming contradictory 'reading of the ball drop/flight' in different situations. In reading for a mark it is excellent, but seems less so for the ball/toss up. To me this seems to explain why he is often out positioned at the drop of the ball [by even average rucks] that can get to and occupy the drop zone before Tim, this to their advantage. I'm hoping a combination of experience, physical development, and some mentoring by the experienced Lade will bring out Tim's evolving to a truly elite ruckman.

Thanks so much to Inside The Kennel and others for these training reports . It’s made the off season so much more enjoyable.

I used to go down to WO in the mid 2000s, I remember one day when my cargo shorts rode up my inner thigh leading to unexpected sunburn. Lindsey Gilbee spent 10 mins staring at me, not because of sunburn but maybe he thought I was an enemy spy? Like staring right into my eyes during a leg exercise drill from 30m. Weird .

Anyway do other clubs have entirely fan free, closed training or were we the only ones? I really hope the club never shuts down again.

Thanks so much to Inside The Kennel and others for these training reports . It’s made the off season so much more enjoyable.

I used to go down to WO in the mid 2000s, I remember one day when my cargo shorts rode up my inner thigh leading to unexpected sunburn. Lindsey Gilbee spent 10 mins staring at me, not because of sunburn but maybe he thought I was an enemy spy? Like staring right into my eyes during a leg exercise drill from 30m. Weird .

Anyway do other clubs have entirely fan free, closed training or were we the only ones? I really hope the club never shuts down again.

My pleasure to write the reports. Whilst we are at Skinner Reserve, all sessions will be "open". As for Whitten Oval, it is only a closed session when directed by the Football Department, which is rare and usually ahead of a big game or not wanting to disclose a tactical trial or injury. The club doesn't generally widely advertise training sessions, but punters are free to enter and watch via the Barkers Cafe. Even during 'closed' sessions, I've been known to sit and have a coffee and watch through the glass, or sit on the hill by Mount Mistake and watch through the fence like Richard Dreffus in 'Stakeout'. Lindsay Gilbee never saw me, as I was usually wearing camouflage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My pleasure to write the reports. Whilst we are at Skinner Reserve, all sessions will be "open". As for Whitten Oval, it is only a closed session when directed by the Football Department, which is rare and usually ahead of a big game or not wanting to disclose a tactical trial or injury. The club doesn't generally widely advertise training sessions, but punters are free to enter and watch via the Barkers Cafe. Even during 'closed' sessions, I've been known to sit and have a coffee and watch through the glass, or sit on the hill by Mount Mistake and watch through the fence like Richard Dreffus in 'Stakeout'. Lindsay Gilbee never saw me, as I was usually wearing camouflage.
Have heard the club will be trialling a new manning the mark technique which involves players doing handstands to discombobulate the opposition.

Pretty sure we also have an indoor area available to keep some tactics private? Doesn’t need to be the size of a full field, but pretty sure I’ve seen something mentioned about it before. Probably at VU if so

I actually concur with what people are saying about the training reports. Great insights and extremely well written. * the Sun and mass media for their money driven drivel that they write. Great work inside the kennel and everyone who contributes. A BIG TENKIU AS MY LATE FATHER WOULD SAY!!!

Mark Stevens on RSN reporting that Treloar has a calf issue.

I know the club is saying that he is recovering from ankle surgery which is true. However the calf looks like it has flared up as a result of ramping up post surgery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back