Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles training notes: Andrew Gaff, Dom Sheed, Jeremy McGovern and Tim Kelly | The West Australian

Anyone wanna unlock this prerrty please.

RAMPING UP

Just a week after being restricted to walking laps and a light jog, wingman Andrew Gaff took a big step towards returning to full training.

The 29-year-old completed a series of runs away from main training with an official, hitting about 200m each time as he prepares for his 12th season in the AFL.
Gaff didn’t look to hit his maximum speed, but could be seen trying to extend as he works his way back from post-season surgery on his ankle.

Youngsters Luke Edwards and Zane Trew were restricted to walking laps, with the latter coming back from a back injury.
WHERE’S WILLIE?

One notable absence from training was small forward Willie Rioli.

The 26-year-old has been completing main sessions with teammates in recent weeks as he looks to return for the first time in two seasons because of a doping suspension.

Yet Willie was not spotted on the track early as his teammates completed a range of ball skills and contact work.
Utility Oscar Allen was also not spotted at the sessions, while a number of senior players are expected to return next week when the entire group gets together for the first time this summer.

REGAINING TOUCH

West Coast vice-captain Jeremy McGovern had a look of determination as he continues his recovery from hip surgery.

The four-time All-Australian completed a number of the ball skill drills, before going on to do some lateral runs while his teammates hit the bags and began some contact work.

McGovern didn’t over extend himself, not getting off the ground and limiting himself to a light jog as opposed to an explosive take off.
“The hip’s holding up well, just been about getting my body right to get into pre-season, have started running on it again so it’s been feeling good to get some time into the legs,” McGovern told the club’s website earlier this week.

Fellow defenders Tom Barrass and Jackson Nelson also went away from the main group as the contact work began.
EXPERIENCE COUNTS

A number of West Coast stars looking for big 2022 seasons were leading the way as they joined their younger teammates on the track.

Elliot Yeo, who had been hampered by a serious groin injury for much of the past two years, was showcasing his crisp skills in some circle work, while 2018 premiership hero Dom Sheed seemed to up the ante in the skills part of the session.
The most impressive was Tim Kelly though, who not only looked trim but focused as he looks to find the form which had him finish fifth in the Brownlow count while playing for Geelong in 2019.

Kelly was noticeably vocal as he directed traffic as well as leading the way with his skills, hitting teammates lace out with kicks from both sides of his body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day Freo fans, I come in peace.

Was in the area this morning and happened to catch a bit of your boys training so figured I would post a few random notes I took down...

- Gee Young has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that Hamling split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2022. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with someone I couldn’t quite make out in a forward role.
- Clark is very fast - Brayshaw was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
- Blakely is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
- There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- Amiss was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- No sign of Pearce or Lobb. Couldn't tell you why.
- Serong kicked on his left foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Serong looked a class above the other midfielders bar Brayshaw Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Johnson was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Brayshaw.
- Chapman looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2022.
- Treacy went up against Meek in the ruck contests and I'd say that Treacy has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Blakely looked as though he'd enjoyed the break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before he was sent to do laps for the rest of the session.
- A lot of running work, clearly a focus even in the heat.
- Walters looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger guys in between the drills. Erasmus in particular seemed to be following him around.

Will upload pics later if I have time. Let me know if you have any questions!

Am I evil? I think I'm evil

Rnd 1 released

RAMPING UP

Just a week after being restricted to walking laps and a light jog, wingman Andrew Gaff took a big step towards returning to full training.

The 29-year-old completed a series of runs away from main training with an official, hitting about 200m each time as he prepares for his 12th season in the AFL.
Gaff didn’t look to hit his maximum speed, but could be seen trying to extend as he works his way back from post-season surgery on his ankle.

Youngsters Luke Edwards and Zane Trew were restricted to walking laps, with the latter coming back from a back injury.
WHERE’S WILLIE?

One notable absence from training was small forward Willie Rioli.

The 26-year-old has been completing main sessions with teammates in recent weeks as he looks to return for the first time in two seasons because of a doping suspension.

Yet Willie was not spotted on the track early as his teammates completed a range of ball skills and contact work.
Utility Oscar Allen was also not spotted at the sessions, while a number of senior players are expected to return next week when the entire group gets together for the first time this summer.

REGAINING TOUCH

West Coast vice-captain Jeremy McGovern had a look of determination as he continues his recovery from hip surgery.

The four-time All-Australian completed a number of the ball skill drills, before going on to do some lateral runs while his teammates hit the bags and began some contact work.

McGovern didn’t over extend himself, not getting off the ground and limiting himself to a light jog as opposed to an explosive take off.
“The hip’s holding up well, just been about getting my body right to get into pre-season, have started running on it again so it’s been feeling good to get some time into the legs,” McGovern told the club’s website earlier this week.

Fellow defenders Tom Barrass and Jackson Nelson also went away from the main group as the contact work began.
EXPERIENCE COUNTS

A number of West Coast stars looking for big 2022 seasons were leading the way as they joined their younger teammates on the track.

Elliot Yeo, who had been hampered by a serious groin injury for much of the past two years, was showcasing his crisp skills in some circle work, while 2018 premiership hero Dom Sheed seemed to up the ante in the skills part of the session.
The most impressive was Tim Kelly though, who not only looked trim but focused as he looks to find the form which had him finish fifth in the Brownlow count while playing for Geelong in 2019.

Kelly was noticeably vocal as he directed traffic as well as leading the way with his skills, hitting teammates lace out with kicks from both sides of his body.
Good report, pleased to hear Yeo is crispy and TK is trim, focused and vocal!
Maybe time to drop the 'premiership hero' tag on Sheed, been nearly 4 yrs. He needs to cut the mustard today and tomorrow without yesterday's tinsel! (no slight on you of course)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back