Preseason Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see every senior player play at least half of our pre season matches. I would like to see every one of them at least get a game off tho.

I would also like to see many of our younger kids given the oppurtunities they deserve to prove themselves.

Bassett, Burgoyne, Cassisi, K Cornes, Guerra, Thurstans and maybe Morgan should be given major responsilbility throughout our preseason.

I would also like to see the others get some gametime at least. Considering the extended bench i dont think there would be anything wrong if say Barry Brooks was given a quarter or a half to get a taste of some senior action.

I wouldnt mind seeing a pre season cup side look like this:

F: P Burgoyne, White, Lade
HF: S. Burgoyne, Cornes, A Murray
C: James, Cassisi, K Cornes
HB: Wilson, Thurstans, Montgomery
B: Bishop, Bassett, Poulton

R: French, Guerra, Carr
I: Brooks, Hall, Schofield, Morgan, Kingsley, Koula

Obviously a balancing act is required, we need to blood some of the youth, the Thrust, Morgan, Cassisi and co and still give the elder players a bit of match fitness for the season. The problem is that over the last three years we have either had too many youngsters (2000) or not nearly enough (2001-2). Just have to have a happy medium.

Originally posted by Macca19

Would beat a few sides going round:p

Originally posted by Eago77
Obviously a balancing act is required, we need to blood some of the youth, the Thrust, Morgan, Cassisi and co and still give the elder players a bit of match fitness for the season. The problem is that over the last three years we have either had too many youngsters (2000) or not nearly enough (2001-2). Just have to have a happy medium.

All that needs to be done really is replacing say..4 or 5 senior players with youngsters each game.

For instance in game 1 we could replace:
Primus, Francou, P Burgoyne, Wakelin, Hardwick with
Ackland, Cassisi, A Murray, Thurstans, Guerra.

In Game two we could replace:
Tredrea, James, Stevens, Bishop, Montgomery with
White, Brooks, Hall, Morgan and Bassett

just swap it around a bit, give some youngsters some responsibility in the side and see how they go.

Originally posted by P0RT P0WER
No disrespect to Collingwood fans but they have won one premiership in 43 years but Eddie still blurts out the fact they are the best club in the world and have apparantley won 14 flags and played in 37 Grand Finals. A very successful club indeed! :rolleyes:

And that 1 premiership comes with 9 second places in the same period. Not exactly what you'd call a winning record.

I didn't see any problem with our pre-season tactics.
The issue I had this year with respect to team selection was the reluctance to try new players at the beginning of the season, even though some of our main players were carrying injuries.
We eventually were forced to try new players at the business end of the season with disastrous effects, loss of cohesion being a main point.
The business end of the season is when we should be fine tuning, not experimenting.
If we have injured players, we should do all we can to make sure they go into the business end of the season a) fit, B) with games under their belt, c)as a cohesive unit.

Originally posted by Macca19
I would like to see every senior player play at least half of our pre season matches. I would like to see every one of them at least get a game off tho.

I would also like to see many of our younger kids given the oppurtunities they deserve to prove themselves.

Bassett, Burgoyne, Cassisi, K Cornes, Guerra, Thurstans and maybe Morgan should be given major responsilbility throughout our preseason.

I would also like to see the others get some gametime at least. Considering the extended bench i dont think there would be anything wrong if say Barry Brooks was given a quarter or a half to get a taste of some senior action.

I wouldn't mind it either. :)

Originally posted by PAfolwr
I didn't see any problem with our pre-season tactics.
The issue I had this year with respect to team selection was the reluctance to try new players at the beginning of the season, even though some of our main players were carrying injuries.
We eventually were forced to try new players at the business end of the season with disastrous effects, loss of cohesion being a main point.
The business end of the season is when we should be fine tuning, not experimenting.
If we have injured players, we should do all we can to make sure they go into the business end of the season a) fit, B) with games under their belt, c)as a cohesive unit.

With both this year and last we have struggled to put a fit and match ready side on the park in the finals (Paxman going down rnd 22 last year, Wakelin out of first two finals this year, Kingsley underdone, etc.). Finals football is more a dour struggle then the H & A in general, with the defence taking more importance then usual.

Depending on how we are going about round's 16 - 17 next season I'd have the match committee 'forced' to drop Primus, Tredrea, Francou and other key players as they pull up with niggling injuries that just happen to appear. Give them a week off to receover near the end of the season, but still far enough away that have time to have the team cohesion into the finals not affected by it being done too late in the season.

It's a venture with risks in that dropping key players obviously makes it harder to win matches, but I'd rather we finish the end of the season on 15 wins with a fit team without injuries then on 17 wins and key players either underdone or with niggling injuries come finals.

I think that all Port's young and inexperienced players should play in the first round of the preseason, to give them a chance to play in a game which is similar to the a regular season showdown game. I think that we need to take a different approach to the season this coming year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back