Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

The underlying DAO technology in its current form is blockchain / smart contract driven and treasury based, giving members the ability to pool funds and vote on member-driven proposals, with governance protocols ready built in.

In a sporting club context, I foresee a cooperative established outside the club initially, with club and member oversight; develop the complimenting DAO model, gather member requirements and deliver proposal to commence a small pilot with a small number of willing members, and then slowly implement over time. Rigorously tested, rigorously consulting members along the way.

Would look like a member portal that operates outside of the exisiting club infrastructure. As an initial prototype, think a highly moderated BigFooty Collingwood but with a workflow of member projects proposed, voted on and coordinated in the one place.

Think about the countless hours we spend on here debating, when we could be utilising the time and knowledge toward building.

As adoption and trust in the model grows, the club may incrementally shift its community based initiatives to the ‘Collingwood DAO’ and enable the member base to institute and operate additional programs themselves. These programs could operate anywhere around the country, could raise their own funds, make Collingwood the world’s most engaged club.

If successful, this would allow the CFC footballing administration to focus more on the on-field program and commercials, and the fans on contributing to member-generated initiatives that benefit the club and its members. All exisiting member rights would remain.

What does this look like?

If you are familiar with Web3, to begin with I see an NFT-based membership model emerging where member services are like a SAAS.

Some immediate benefits for members may include:

Revenue streams for the club may include:
  • Club licensed NFT issuance - club must pursue the rights before the AFL
  • Partner service referrals
  • The model itself

From my perspective, this is about securing the Collingwood Football Club for the next 100 years. If football is not a thing by then, at least we’d have built a thriving community network with a CFC legacy preserved.

Interesting

(so for the benefit of others following who might not understand the tech, NFT’s are “Non Fungeable Tokens” described here.

So if I understand what you’ve described …

… it’s basically setting up a coterie to begin with, the coterie would have two constitutions. There’d be the internal coterie constitution that would be part of the DAO, and it would evolve over time as the members vote democratically to change it. And there’d be the ‘interface’ constitution between the club and the coterie (Or perhaps the club Interface constitution would be part of the DAO constitution, where the club has ‘special‘ (not just democratic) privileges.

The participating members of the coterie would make a financial contribution to purchase tokens (could we just buy these things using our online banking, is there a BSB and account number we deposit into, and tokens then appear in our DAO account?). The finances would be managed as part of a blockchain, with there being some mechanism for the club at the interface to be able to issue more tokens, and to convert tokens back to $AUD. Tokens can be also issued as prizes or rewards. We can then use our tokens to buy member benefits, including NFT’s issued by the club.

I’m a bit confused by your use of the term ‘NFT’, is the NFT effectively the internal currency? ie: the blockchain token that represents the value that each coterie member owns as part of the DAO? Or are NFT’s some collectable item of value issued by the club and purchased by the coterie members? Kinda like a rare Scanlon footy card card, or a copy of a signed Footy record from the 1956 Grand Final? And if it’s this latter term, what kind of things would you seed this economy with?

Would participants in the coterie need to be tech savvy? Is any coding required? And if not, would those members who are tech savvy have some kind of advantage or privileged position over those who are not?

So the purpose of this would be …

- Do exactly the same things as the CFC app, but with better security.
- Because the CFC app has better security, it could handle financial transactions.
- Because it handles financial transactions, it can provide a wider range of membership services. (pay for play stuff)
- Because the CFC app has better security, it could provide a wallet for uniquely traceable items (a form of NFT?). This could include game day tickets and the like.

And once it works within the coterie and has been tested, it could be handed over to the club to deploy to the wider membership at some later stage.

Have I kinda got the right idea? (Apologies, this stuff is way way outside my wheelhouse …)

The underlying DAO technology in its current form is blockchain / smart contract driven and treasury based, giving members the ability to pool funds and vote on member-driven proposals, with governance protocols ready built in.

In a sporting club context, I foresee a cooperative established outside the club initially, with club and member oversight; develop the complimenting DAO model, gather member requirements and deliver proposal to commence a small pilot with a small number of willing members, and then slowly implement over time. Rigorously tested, rigorously consulting members along the way.

Would look like a member portal that operates outside of the exisiting club infrastructure. As an initial prototype, think a highly moderated BigFooty Collingwood but with a workflow of member projects proposed, voted on and coordinated in the one place.

Think about the countless hours we spend on here debating, when we could be utilising the time and knowledge toward building.

As adoption and trust in the model grows, the club may incrementally shift its community based initiatives to the ‘Collingwood DAO’ and enable the member base to institute and operate additional programs themselves. These programs could operate anywhere around the country, could raise their own funds, make Collingwood the world’s most engaged club.

If successful, this would allow the CFC footballing administration to focus more on the on-field program and commercials, and the fans on contributing to member-generated initiatives that benefit the club and its members. All exisiting member rights would remain.

What does this look like?

If you are familiar with Web3, to begin with I see an NFT-based membership model emerging where member services are like a SAAS.

Some immediate benefits for members may include:

Revenue streams for the club may include:
  • Club licensed NFT issuance - club must pursue the rights before the AFL
  • Partner service referrals
  • The model itself

From my perspective, this is about securing the Collingwood Football Club for the next 100 years. If football is not a thing by then, at least we’d have built a thriving community network with a CFC legacy preserved.

One tech that GWS Giants trialled back in 2018 were ‘smart guernsey technology’ where the club issued 100 guernsey’s to members that had embedded NFC technology that was used for gate entry and getting deals at the ground, etc, etc.

There’s more about the trial here: https://www.bullpen.com.au/solos-individualises-the-fan-experience-with-high-tech-smart-clothing/

(I love seeing cool tech given a chance and trialled, given this doesn’t seem to have progressed in 3 years, maybe it didn’t deliver good value? To be honest, I didn’t understand how its value couldn’t be provided by users’ phones instead? Except to ensure the validity of genuine club apparel. I got invited to an info session on this tech when it was being trialled but unfortunately I had something else on that night - I would have liked to have learnt more)

( SeanC … maybe you‘ve come across this tech in your work?)

I'm not party to the Decentralised Autonomous Organisation discussion and i'm not well educated so i wont interupt, but collingwood is just about to end over 20 years of undemocratic governance.... something that vlad putin could only hope to implement...

Interesting

(so for the benefit of others following who might not understand the tech, NFT’s are “Non Fungeable Tokens” described here.

So if I understand what you’ve described …

… it’s basically setting up a coterie to begin with, the coterie would have two constitutions. There’d be the internal coterie constitution that would be part of the DAO, and it would evolve over time as the members vote democratically to change it. And there’d be the ‘interface’ constitution between the club and the coterie (Or perhaps the club Interface constitution would be part of the DAO constitution, where the club has ‘special‘ (not just democratic) privileges.

The participating members of the coterie would make a financial contribution to purchase tokens (could we just buy these things using our online banking, is there a BSB and account number we deposit into, and tokens then appear in our DAO account?). The finances would be managed as part of a blockchain, with there being some mechanism for the club at the interface to be able to issue more tokens, and to convert tokens back to $AUD. Tokens can be also issued as prizes or rewards. We can then use our tokens to buy member benefits, including NFT’s issued by the club.

I’m a bit confused by your use of the term ‘NFT’, is the NFT effectively the internal currency? ie: the blockchain token that represents the value that each coterie member owns as part of the DAO? Or are NFT’s some collectable item of value issued by the club and purchased by the coterie members? Kinda like a rare Scanlon footy card card, or a copy of a signed Footy record from the 1956 Grand Final? And if it’s this latter term, what kind of things would you seed this economy with?

Would participants in the coterie need to be tech savvy? Is any coding required? And if not, would those members who are tech savvy have some kind of advantage or privileged position over those who are not?

So the purpose of this would be …

- Do exactly the same things as the CFC app, but with better security.
- Because the CFC app has better security, it could handle financial transactions.
- Because it handles financial transactions, it can provide a wider range of membership services. (pay for play stuff)
- Because the CFC app has better security, it could provide a wallet for uniquely traceable items (a form of NFT?). This could include game day tickets and the like.

And once it works within the coterie and has been tested, it could be handed over to the club to deploy to the wider membership at some later stage.

Have I kinda got the right idea? (Apologies, this stuff is way way outside my wheelhouse …)

Yes, you've got where I'm going.

And you've asked all the questions that would be of consideration for the working 'coterie' group to start with.

Currencies, yes, the club can (and will eventually) release its own official club currency for utilisation throughout the community.

User experience would have to be easy, intuitive and designed for our broad spectrum of members - this can't just be for those who are tech savvy.

Appreciate your step through logic here 76, you really get me here: "There’d be the internal coterie constitution that would be part of the DAO, and it would evolve over time as the members vote democratically to change it"

NFTs are currently synonymous with tradeable art, that is its current use case and can be used for collectable, game highlights, etc - but is not its final form!

The NFT technology can be used to represent / denote any form of asset ownership. Individual ownership, group ownership. Memberships are next.

A good recent explanation:

What excites me the most is that we have 80,000 listed members, and thousands and thousands of unlisted, non-signed up members waiting for a new way to connect with the club that has not been in place for decades.

I'd love to see this approach bring in another 50k members into the club.

I agree with VantagePoint about DAOs and NFTs it is where "membership" should end up.

AFL has a complicated ticketing and membership infrastructure both legally and technologically.

At the moment the AFL is looking at the collectible angle - like NBA Top Shot.

But I think we could see social club medallions replaced by NFTs and potentially other digital rewards for match attendance etc.

The law and ATO are trying to keep up with the rapidly changing web3 world. Club constitutions are a long way from implementing this kind of tech.

It would open up a completely new way for fans to become members and build engagement with a younger generation.

Adoption from the older generation would be tough but it would offer some unique options around voting rights.

Sports & tech is why I started Sports Geek there definitely be a first-mover advantage in NFTs & DAOs (if correctly executed)

You asked where to find money in the cap for more recruiters. Bucks was on a large contract which accounted for a significant chunk of the soft cap. There was opportunity there to redistribute some of that to other areas of the football department including recruiting.

And I highlighted teams that likely pay their coach as much or more than we paid Bucks still manage to recruit okay without exceeding the soft cap so while coaches salary may be a factor, it’s certainly not conclusively so. At least no more so than other aspects.

Last edited:
I think apathy is a harsh term. We are a club of passionate supporters and we all have our kink whether it’s our favourite player, the performance of our team, our recruiting, our history, our admin, our AFLW, whatever

I just think that the admin side has been a bit less on people’s radar, plus many folks simply don’t understand it, or are simply not on the same page.

For example, the reported $15m loss due to the pubs fiasco. $15m represents around 20% of our turnover in a good year. Would our Members have been so tolerant if we’d botched the retention of 20% of our list? (9 players)

I think apathy is the perfect term and I did delineate between on-field and off-field.

The pub losses hardly raised a murmur yet the impact to playing cohort in the 2020 trade period (less than 20%) combined with less than anticipated on-field performance galvanized a few focal types.

My gut feel, the majority of rank and file supporters think there has been enough change, enough blood let, stability was returning, changes were being implemented. A line had been drawn in the sand. Why are we now throwing all that out?

I think apathy is the perfect term and I did delineate between on-field and off-field.

The pub losses hardly raised a murmur yet the impact to playing cohort in the 2020 trade period (less than 20%) combined with less than anticipated on-field performance galvanized a few focal types.

My gut feel, the majority of rank and file supporters think there has been enough change, enough blood let, stability was returning, changes were being implemented. A line had been drawn in the sand. Why are we now throwing all that out?

If these comments are directed to me, I’ll stress that the DAO structure is an addition to, to compliment and support the existing structure, not to usurp.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If these comments are directed to me, I’ll stress that the DAO structure is an addition to, to compliment and support the existing structure, not to usurp.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not targeted at anyone specifically. Was more referring to the pending election. I’m very wary of putting too much power into the hands of the rank and file. You only have to read through this thread to see why.

And I highlighted teams that likely pay their coach as much or more than we paid Bucks still manage to recruit okay without exceeding the soft cap so while coaches salary may be a factor, it’s certainly not conclusively so. At least no more so than other aspects.

What you did was present a strawman argument after I responded to the original question. I chose to ignore it.

Not targeted at anyone specifically. Was more referring to the pending election. I’m very wary of putting too much power into the hands of the rank and file. You only have to read through this thread to see why.
Your posts are in this thread too dude.

I certainly think the time for democracy is at the election, which the membership havent used for 20 years. To swing the thing around and make the members more empowered in the day to day running of the club is an over-reaction and you only have to see the impact of too many views on bigfooty to realise that it's not the way to go.

People are talking about using digital to improve feelings of involvement and this can be done without the members running the club. People have willingly paid hundreds of dollars for a pair of nikes, even though they cost a fraction of this price. They show brand loyalty and feel special wearing the sneakers. If a corporation can do this, how much better can a team like the Pies do it. People who buy Nike arent shareholders and even most shareholders dont have a say in the day to day running of the corporation. Nike sells a dream of being like Mike. The Pies just need to win premierships .... and run the business so that the average fan feels special.

I certainly think the time for democracy is at the election, which the membership havent used for 20 years. To swing the thing around and make the members more empowered in the day to day running of the club is an over-reaction and you only have to see the impact of too many views on bigfooty to realise that it's not the way to go.

People are talking about using digital to improve feelings of involvement and this can be done without the members running the club. People have willingly paid hundreds of dollars for a pair of nikes, even though they cost a fraction of this price. They show brand loyalty and feel special wearing the sneakers. If a corporation can do this, how much better can a team like the Pies do it. People who buy Nike arent shareholders and even most shareholders dont have a say in the day to day running of the corporation. Nike sells a dream of being like Mike. The Pies just need to win premierships .... and run the business so that the average fan feels special.
Be Like Mike was a Gatorade commercial, not Nike.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voted. A couple I thought stood out, but at the same time it was tough to split the final few.

Perna - I liked his integrity experience

Febbraio - elite sports, medical. Seems similar skills to what was sort in O’Donnell

Wilson - like that he didn’t roll over and pander in the wake of the Browne camp wave

This is where it gets tough:

Roberts, Carp great skills, but aligned to the Browne camp. Strategically I put my vote elsewhere.

Holgate - again great skills, again aligned to the Browne camp. What turned me off though was a lack of explanation on why she changed camps

There were a few remaining and all had good skills. Decided on two, but splitting those two was really difficult. Given the closeness I won’t detail my final vote.

Last edited:
Voted. A couple I thought stood out, but at the same time it was tough to split the final few.

Perna - I liked his integrity experience

Fabbraio - elite sports, medical. Seems similar skills to what was sort in O’Donnell

Wilson - like that he didn’t roll over and pander in the wake of the Browne camp wave

This is where it gets tough:

Roberts, Carp great skills, but aligned to the Browne camp. Strategically I put my vote elsewhere.

Holgate - again great skills, again aligned to the Browne camp. What turned me off though was a lack of explanation on why she changed camps

There were a few remaining and all had good skills. Decided on two, but splitting those two was really difficult. Given the closeness I won’t detail my final vote.
I can’t remember who I voted for.

Be Like Mike was a Gatorade commercial, not Nike.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

sorry i didnt attend that class in school. I usually get left behind when people are discussing all the important things in life, like what products sports people are selling them..... I blame my parents for the disconnect

No need to be so testy.

i was trying to explain my lack of knowledge in this area....although I'm well aware that people are willing to pay exhorbitant amounts of money for shoes, just so that they can feel special.... or pay a lot of money for salted flavoured water. I must admit that I paid $3.50 for a half litre of coke from woolies when they are selling 2 or more litres of it for less in the drinks area. Do I do it to feel special? I'm not sure. Consumers of anything, including sporting memberships, are not always pragmatic in their buying choices.

I remember a family member harassing me when they were a kid for me to buy them super expensive shoes for skate boards. I told them that dunlop volleys had a rubber sole and genuine canvas and would be better. They got older and wanted the dunlops but only because they could see thru the "dream" of feeling special wearing shoes.

michael jordan played one of his last games wearing a pair of one of his early nike shoes. He complained that his feet got sore. He had to say that to maintain the dream....

Just voted for: Amanda Cameron, Renee Roberts, Christine Holgate & Mark Febbraio: For Jobs & Growth, To Ease The Squeeze & to Make Collingwood Great Again!

What you did was present a strawman argument after I responded to the original question. I chose to ignore it.

That’s a good giggle.. a straw man argument. I wasn’t disagreeing with your suggestion we could have cut Bucks pay, just highlighting that other clubs haven’t needed to reduce the head coaches salary, why should we? How are their recruiting departments any different to ours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back