Preview Preview and Discussion Round 2 Hawthorn v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

IN: Hodge, Cheney, Ellis, Guerra OUT: Suckling, Ladson, Whitecross, Shiels(Pretty Stiff), SUB Rule(I wish!)= Hate it already!

Team:
FF: Osborne Roughead Hale
HF: Rioli Franklin Hodge
C: Bateman Mitchell Young
HB: Birchall Gibson Cheney
FB: Guerra Gilham Stratton
FOLL: Renouf Sewell Burgoyne
INTER: Lewis Ellis Bruce
SUB: Savage

EMERG: Puopolo, Lisle, Suckling

IN: Hodge, Cheney, Ellis, Guerra OUT: Suckling, Ladson, Whitecross, Shiels(Pretty Stiff), SUB Rule(I wish!)= Hate it already!

Team:
HF: Rioli Franklin Bruce
HB: Birchall Gibson Hodge
INTER: Lewis Ellis Guerra
SUB: Cheney

puopola in before Cheney.
Ladson stays in
x has to start
savage defo stays

Bruce dropped for being abysmal tonight imo.

HF: Rioli Franklin ellis
INTER: Lewis ladson savage
SUB: puopolo

does big Maxy get a shot at it??

puopola in before Cheney.
Ladson stays in
x has to start
savage defo stays

Bruce dropped for being abysmal tonight imo.

HF: Rioli Franklin ellis
INTER: Lewis ladson savage
SUB: puopolo

does big Maxy get a shot at it??

Like the look of that squad, not sure they would line up like that, but still like the squad!

In: Hodge, Bailey, Smith, Puopolu, Guerra
Out: Renouf, Whitecross, Osbourne, Bruce, Birchall (won't happen, but he should go)

FB: Suckling, Gilham, Guerra
HB: Gibson, Stratton, Hodge
C: Smith, Mitchell, Young
HF: Rioli, Roughead, Savage
F: Lewis, Franklin, Hale
Foll: Bailey, Burgoyne, Sewell
Inter: Puopolu, Sheils, Bateman
Sub: Ladson

A 70% match fit Max Bailey > Renouf. Can get all the rest he needs rotating with Hale. Smith & Pup for speed & youthful intensity, especially with this new game plan of moving the ball at all costs. Ladson looked really good in the 1st half but faded (I know, he had mates), but would be a better sub with his versatility and experience to play an all-out quarter or two. Whitecross was a non-impact player, and he has yet to convince me he is really up to it. Hodge a must for Bruce who failed badly in his first outing. Keep Hodge on the HB flank to develop match fitness and do what he does better than any other footballer in the country - lead a defence. By round 5, back in the middle for Luke. I know 5 changes won't happen, but what made us look really good in the first half was the effort from the young kids (Savage, Sheils, Suckling). Need to keep blooding these talented youngsters and put the old guard on notice that names mean nothing, performance does. Against the Dees at the G is a good time to do this.

Unless something catastrophic happens, and if everything goes well with Max, you won't see him before round 5 at the earliest.

Unless something catastrophic happens, and if everything goes well with Max, you won't see him before round 5 at the earliest.

I am curious to know why you'd say that given that AFAIK he had almost a full pre-season and played in the VFL this week.

Is it because he's generally underdone, or that he needs to sharpen up from not having played much footy for so long, or concern over the knee being able to hold up?

I'm not suggesting we rush him in by any means, only that the sooner he's given a chance to replace Renouf the happier I think a lot of us will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Suckling----Stratton-----Guerra
HB: Ellis--------Gibson------Birchall
C: Savage-----Mitchell-----Young
HF: Lewis ------Franklin-----Rioli
FF: Hale---------Roughead---Hodge
Foll: Bailey------Sewell-------Burgoyne

Interchange: Sheils------Ladson-------Puopolo-----Bateman (Hard-running impact sub)

Xavier Ellis comes in for some much needed decision-making and composure under pressure.
Guerra's disposal makes him an automatic selection.
Hodge comes in and plays a free-role, roaming wherever needed. Most likely across the half-back line.
Puopolo comes in for some hardness and accountability and hunger in the back-line.
Bailey comes in because there is no-one else really ready to cover Renouf, anything is better than what he served up tonight.

Renouf & Bruce go out for inexcusably poor games tonight.
Gilham is too slow for Melbourne's back-line, Stratton/Gibson with Hodge/Birchall as third talls should be adequate coverage.
Whitecross' decision making isn't up to AFL standards and doesn't really necessitate a walk-up flanker position anyway.
Bateman reverts to substitute who can come in and run the legs off a young Melbourne mid-field.
Ladson and Osbourne probably flip for the last spot on the bench, with Ladson probably just ahead due to better disposal and better discipline. Lewis has shown he can play Osbourne's role (if required) to a higher standard.

Here's what I think is a realistic side -

FB: Gibson, Gilham, Guerra
HB: Suckling, Stratton, Bruce
C: Savage, Mitchell, Young
HF: Rioli, Roughead, Hodge
F: Lewis, Franklin, Hale
Foll: Renouf, Burgoyne, Sewell
Inter: Ladson, Sheils, Bateman
Sub: Ellis

In: Guerra, Hodge, Ellis
Out: Birchall, Whitecross, Osborne

Bruce gets another couple of weeks to settle in and find form (I thought defensively he was OK against Crows).
Would really like Max to come in, but he still needs more games at BH :(
Birchall for mine is the one that needs to go back and figure out how to play his best footy again. He neither defended well or rebounded well and he needs to do one of these to justify his place.
The young fellas to stay in. For the rest of the year IMO. Would have also liked to add some more pace by bringing in I. Smith, but for mine we won't make that many changes in one hit.

Hawthorn

FB: Guerra, Gilham, Murphy.
HB: Stratton, Gibson, Birchall.
C: Young, Mitchell, Bateman.
HF: Burgoyne, Franklin, Rioli.
FF: Osborne, Roughead, Bruce.
FOLL: Renouf, Sewell, Lewis.
INT: Hale, Ladson, Ellis, Savage (SUB).

IN: Murphy, Guerra, Ellis
OUT: Shiels, Suckling, Whitecross

Hawthorn

FB: Guerra, Gilham, Stratton.
HB: Smith, Gibson, Birchall.
C: Burgoyne, Hodge, Lewis.
HF: Young, Roughead, Rioli.
FF: Bateman, Franklin, Bruce.
FOLL: Renouf, Sewell, Mitchell.
INT: Hale, Savage, Sheils, Ellis (SUB) .
EMRG: Ladson, Lisle, Cheney, litherland

IN: Smith, Guerra, Ellis, Hodge
OUT: Osborne, Suckling, Whitecross, Ladson

Can't believe the amount wanting Ladson dropped, talk about pre-conceived ideas after an off-season of whingeing about picking players on form. :rolleyes:

Guerra played quite well across hf yesterday, wouldn't mind him replacing Osborne. Bailey is not ready, and should not be picked and Murphy unlikely too IMO. Hodge and Ellis the others to come in, for Whitecross and Bateman IMO.

B: Suckling - Gilham - Stratton
HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall
C: Savage - Sewell - Young
HF: Rioli - Franklin - Lewis
F: Hale - Roughead - Guerra
R: Renouf - Mitchell - Burgoyne
I/C: Ladson - Sheils - Bruce - Ellis

Cheney will get his chance, you would think.

Can't see us making too many changes. It's not the way Clarskon works, plus he'll be aiming to get us to play the way we did for the first half of the Crows game for 4qtrs against the Dees. So I think he'll go with a very similar line up.

Hodge to have another week at Box Hill, will not surprise me at all.

Cheney will get his chance, you would think.

Can't see us making too many changes. It's not the way Clarskon works, plus he'll be aiming to get us to play the way we did for the first half of the Crows game for 4qtrs against the Dees. So I think he'll go with a very similar line up.

Hodge to have another week at Box Hill, will not surprise me at all.

Whilest i agree minimal changes for next week. I feel guerra is a must in. Our new game plan is exciting but high risk relies on kicking efficiency. I think he would have to come inespecially playing half forward he could set up inside 50s for us.

Keep the kids in, rule 1! Play Whitecross, was one of the best through pre-season and then we want him dropped after playing one quarter??

If we keep going back to the same formula, we will get the same outcome. Osborne was poor. Ladson good early then very poor.

Give the kids a crack at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back