Preview Preview and Discussion Round 2 Hawthorn v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think suckling's game is a bit overrated here. He has improved, but I hope goo comes in for him. I'd prefer a slightly worse kick than suckers, as a trade for a bit more 'mongrel'

I also reckon Bruce should play hff, possibly tagging grimes, who is melbourne's most important player with spud jnr out.

WhiteX was pretty ineffectual as the sub, I'd probably like to see a player like Smith get the sub gig to come on at 3qtr time and really break lines - exactly what we needed in the last. I think we'd benefit more having whiteX play as a mid-sized forward, working with rioli, lewis and bruce with rotations into the guts.

in; smith, goo, hodge... pup (maybe for some pace)
out; Ozzy, suckers, birch... laddo (maybe as he dropped off quicker than most)

goo, gilham, laddo
gibbo, stratts, hodge
young, sewell, savage
bruce, rough, rioli
hale, buddy, whiteX
renouf, mitch, burger

lewis, shiels, bateman (smith)

I reckon that side is pretty balanced, if pup came in for a ladson type (big if), we'd have a bit of pace/run on every line. Ellis and smurf would have to be close to selection as well. Hodge in the backline to give us a bit of stability (hopefully won't need to stay there) and a little less strain on his underdone rig.

FB: Gilham,Gibson, Guerra
HB: Ellis, Stratton, Hodge
C: Smith, Mitchell, Young
HF: Rioli, Franklin , Savage
F: Puopolu,Roughead, Hale
Foll: Bailey, Burgoyne, Sewell
Inter: Bateman, Bruce Lewis,
Sub: Ladson

IN: Hodge, Smith, Puopolu, Guerra, Ellis.

OUT: Sucking, Birchall, Whitecross, sheils, Osbourne

FB: Gilham,Gibson, Guerra
HB: Ellis, Stratton, Hodge
C: Smith, Mitchell, Young
HF: Rioli, Franklin , Savage
F: Puopolu,Roughead, Hale
Foll: Bailey, Burgoyne, Sewell
Inter: Bateman, Bruce Lewis,

IN: Hodge, Smith, Puopolu, Guerra, Ellis.

OUT: Sucking, Birchall, Whitecross, sheils, Osbourne

Highly unlikely we are going to make 5 changes...

People forget that we smashed Melb just a few weeks ago without many of our stars.

Did they overrun us? No, we over-ran them.

You can be as quick as you like. Look at the Bombers yesterday, destroyed the Bulldogs by getting their hands on the ball first. Thats what we did against the Crows in the first half.

Doesn't matter how quick you are. If you control the ball, you control the game.

People forget that we smashed Melb just a few weeks ago without many of our stars.

You can be as quick as you like. Look at the Bombers yesterday, destroyed the Bulldogs by getting their hands on the ball first. Thats what we did against the Crows in the first half.

Doesn't matter how quick you are. If you control the ball, you control the game.

Remember back to your playing days Henry. Having an advantage in speed over your opponent always made controlling the game that much easier.

I like your point and hope you are correct. Am taking the kids to this game and it wont look good if we get a touch up. I have been building them up all summer.

In that pathetic third quarter, when they flashed up our 47% disposal efficiency, I thought it no surprise we gave the momentum back to the Crows.

It was like we were trying as hard as we could to get them and the crowd back in it.

Some of the turnovers that Bruce did directly resulted in goals. I wouldn't think he'd do that normally or he'd never get a game anywhere. It was most likely nerves, but it really hurt us.

I think he should be given time to settle though. It's 50/50 whether they will drop him. I think they will give him another game as it is rare for him to make some of the errors he did. I felt like smashing the tv...

In: Pup and Hodge

Out: Suckling Ladson

I also would like to bring in Goo, not sure who to drop.

I think Pup has to come in just for the pure fact that we need some hardness and pace in our forward line, this will give Rioli a chop out and also allow us to have atlest one speedy player providing pressure when Rioli has a turn on ball. I'm sick to death of watching the ball flying out of our forward line just as quick as it came in.
This will also free up Lewis to play his role in the midfield rotations rather than be wasted as our defensive forward.

Hodge, comes in at half back to sure up the backline.

Didn't Yabby say that? ;)

You're spot on though Hank. We need to repeat the first quarter and apply it to all the game on Sunday.

Are we all Hawks supporters here?
2-3 more goals in 1st half against Crows we win by 5 goals.
I loved what we did in first 45 mins
Didnt love what we did after that.

Melb are young, quick and can run out a game as shown by their effort against Swans.

Clarko, pick a team to be up by 50 points at half time. They will run us down. Pls keep our young kids esp Savage and sheils.

We are top 4 clarko - let our forwards show it.

guerra gilham gibson

ellis statton birchall

savage mitchell young

burgoyne roughead smith

lisle franklin pup

hale sewell rioli

int - shiels batemen lewis sub - hodge

in-guerra ellis smith lisle pup hodge out-suckling ladson osborne

renouf bruce whitecross

cheney for birchall the week after if he doesn't perform.

So far i have seen suggestions to drop Ladson, Suckling, Osborne (Osbourne??), Renouf (OK fair enough..), Birchall, Gilham, Savage, Roughead, Bruce, Whitecross and Shiels. Half the team are under the collective microscope.

I think round2 will not have too many changes, perhaps Guerra in for Whitecross, would like to see him on a HFF - if it doesnt work then switch him with Suckling in the backline and move Suckling into the middle.
Hodge probably will have another week at BHH.
Ellis may have persuaded the selectors after a strong game with BHH, though i would rather see Poo come in to combat some of the zippy Melbourne forwards.
Smith is a risk, though i believe he should be given a run against the Demons. In reality Bruce will probably be left in the side.
Ladson and Bateman - if we take their best halves against Adelaide they were great, then they fell away, perhaps sub duties for one or the other.
Renouf - Yeah he is in as the default ruckman, can only improve. Bailey still a long way from match fit.

FB: Puopolo, Gilham, Suckling
HB: Birchall, Gibson, Stratton
C: Savage, Mitchell, Young
HF: Rioli, Franklin , Guerra
F: Burgoyne,Roughead, Hale
Foll: Renouf, Sheils, Sewell
Inter: Smith,
Bateman, Lewis

Emergency: Ellis, Cheney, Lisle

IN: Guerra, Puopolu, Smith

OUT: Whitecross, Osborne, Bruce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far i have seen suggestions to drop Ladson, Suckling, Osborne (Osbourne??), Renouf (OK fair enough..), Birchall, Gilham, Savage, Roughead, Bruce, Whitecross and Shiels. Half the team are under the collective microscope.

I think round2 will not have too many changes, perhaps Guerra in for Whitecross, would like to see him on a HFF - if it doesnt work then switch him with Suckling in the backline and move Suckling into the middle.
Ellis may have persuaded the selectors after a strong game with BHH, though i would rather see Poo come in to combat some of the zippy Melbourne forwards.
Smith is a risk, though i believe he should be given a run against the Demons. In reality Bruce will probably be left in the side.
Ladson and Bateman - if we take their best halves against Adelaide they were great, then they fell away, perhaps sub duties for one or the other.
Renouf - Yeah he is in as the default ruckman, can only improve. Bailey still a long way from match fit.

Inter: Smith, Bateman, Lewis

I would take that team except for one more change - Hodge must come in at HBF and Birchall must go out. That would then put our 3 best defenders on the same line and provide a genuine barrier. I like Ladson as a sub . . . he is very versatile and can go strong for a quarter or two. He looked great in the first half against Adelaide.

But what I think the selectors will do is bring in Ellis instead of Pup. I'd rather Pup. Ellis in the 2's for another week really sends a message & lights the fire under him. I also think the selectors will not drop Bruce and therefore they will not put in Smith.

When Dean Bailey watches last weeks game he will no doubt be putting a tag on Long kicking Clinton Smooth Movin Young.

The sooner we get Isaac upto speed the better. That is why I would like to see him come in. I also think Melbourne being one of the younger teams would also suit his debut.

I havent seen him play in the flesh as yet but from the TV it was apparrent that he gets ragdolled and is light on for physical presence. But the ability to burst away from congestion and kick 60m can make up for that.

If we can bring Isaac on this year it will make our gameplan so much better. Having the ball inside your forward 50 before the oppositon floods is the way to a high score.

Ellis and Hodgey must come in. Even with the sub rule, we can just hide the not quite match fit Hodge deep forward if he needs a rest.

We also required some speed, and some gut running. Smith is elite in fitness and speed and I'd like to see us role the dice. Would like to see Goo, but not sure we can afford to lose any run.

In - Ellis, Hodge, Smith
Out - Birchall, Osbourne, WhiteX

B-Straton, Gilham, Ladson
HB - Burgoyne, Gibson, Lewis
C - Savage, Mitchell, Young
HF - Bateman, Franklin, Rioli
F - Hale, Roughead, Hodge
Foll - Renouf, Ellis, Sewell
Int - Smith, Shiels, Bruce
Sub - Suckling

Just some predictions now for where we're headed later in the season
-Smith by mid year will be a regular
-Ladson started alright, but will have to keep it up
-Changa, not quite as quick now, will spend some time at BHH at some point
-Would love to see Bailey given a shot, but not as ready to throw Renouf under the bus yet, performed well in a bad spot last year, have faith.

Inter: Smith, Bateman, Lewis

I like this. Although I would swap Guerra and Suckling to start (Guerra better in one-on-ones, Suckling showed his delivery into forward-50 is top-notch and doesn't have to be as accountable).

Also, switch Ladson and Bateman - I think Bateman will have more of an impact coming on as sub.

Bruce should step up this week, so I would keep him in for Smith until both prove they are/are not worthy (another round or 2).

You'd have to expect Bruce to get another run. Little point for drafting a player like that to only give him one game.

Hodge in is the big one.

I'd also offload Osborne and move Whitecross up to that position. Or even Lewis. Lewis can take a mark and is generally a good kick at goal. Perhaps these two can rotate?

Would love Puopolo in the team to shut down one of the Melbourne small forwards

In: Hodge, Puopolo, (maybe Ellis)
Out: Birchall, Osborne, (Maybe Savage)
Sub: Shiels

In: Hodge, Puopolo, (maybe Ellis)
Out: Birchall, Osborne, (Maybe Savage)
Sub: Shiels

Don't think you will have many agree on this idea.

Savage was great against the Crows and will only get better with game time.

Slightly away from FOOBTBALL kinda, after the game @ aurora where a nice family restrant to go for tea? Any launcestion people here who can help? (no not maccas, kfc or hungry jacks thats what we nornally do) Please?

Slightly away from FOOBTBALL kinda, after the game @ aurora where a nice family restrant to go for tea? Any launcestion people here who can help? (no not maccas, kfc or hungry jacks thats what we nornally do) Please?

Saloon Bar in Charles St, two-three blocks from the Mall.

Depends on your budget of course, that's a very reasonably priced place, plenty of tables.

This one could go either way. The Dees are playing good footy, and we can really turn things on at the G and play a good 4 quarters.

Will be a close one, could go either way.

Changes. I would say we need to get Guerra and Hodge back into the side, and possibly Murphy.

In: Hodge, Guerra

Out: Suckling, Osborne.

A week at BH might do Ozzy some good, it worked last year.

FB: Ladson Gibson Guerra

HB: Stratton Gilham Birchall

C: Young Mitchell Savage

HF: Rioli Franklin Lewis

FF: Hale Roughead Bateman

R: Renouf Hodge Burgoyne

I/C: Sewell Shiels Bruce

Sub: Whitecross

In: Hodge, Guerra.

Out: Osborne, WhiteX. (Ladson to sub)

Maybe In: Ellis, Puopolo, Smith, Bailey (and maybe Murphy if he is fit)

Maybe Out: Birchall, Lewis, Suckling, Renouf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back