Preview Preview and Discussion Round 2 Hawthorn v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one could go either way. The Dees are playing good footy, and we can really turn things on at the G and play a good 4 quarters.

Will be a close one, could go either way.

Changes. I would say we need to get Guerra and Hodge back into the side, and possibly Murphy.

In: Hodge, Guerra

Out: Suckling, Osborne.

A week at BH might do Ozzy some good, it worked last year.

FB: Ladson Gibson Guerra

HB: Stratton Gilham Birchall

C: Young Mitchell Savage

HF: Rioli Franklin Lewis

FF: Hale Roughead Bateman

R: Renouf Hodge Burgoyne

I/C: Sewell Shiels Bruce

Sub: Whitecross

In: Hodge, Guerra.

Out: Osborne, WhiteX. (Ladson to sub)

Maybe In: Ellis, Puopolo, Smith, Bailey (and maybe Murphy if he is fit)

Maybe Out: Birchall, Lewis, Suckling, Renouf

I couldn't justify dropping Suckling ahead of Whitecross, he got plenty of the ball and may have more improvement in him if he can string a few games together.

Have we all just said either exactly the same, or a very very similar thing as each other ? ;)

In: Hodge (if fit), Guerra and / or Popuolo

Out: Osbourne Birchall and / or WhiteX

I do not see HFC making three changes so i have had a discussion on the changes.

WhiteX if he plays has to start he works his way into games and is not a burst player. Besides you want him getting game time as he would probably loose fitness playing of the bench again.

I would keep Whitex in because he can switch to the forward line if required can play Osbourne's role but its really hard decision. We may need him to play defense on one of melbourne's small forwards if Pop doesn't play.

Bruce to tag grimes very important player for melbourne.

Bateman may also have a tagging responsibility swapping with shiels who did a great job on tengrove in the box hill match last year.

Keeping Hodge in the backline to try an ease him into the contest because of doubts on his fitness

Stratton picks up Jurrah

Gibson picks up Dunne

Gilham watts or resting ruckman.

Moloney and Mitchell go head to head (I'd back mitch)

Ladson as the sub

Heres my team if all 3 changes play:

FB: Gibson Guerra Pops

HB: Stratton Gilham Hodge

HF: Rioli Franklin Burgoyne

FF: Hale Roughead Bruce

R: Renouf Lewis Shiels

I/C: Bateman Sewell Suckling

Sub: Ladson

Team for two changes:

FB: Gibson Guerra WhiteX

Well that you keep you confused and occupied for a while :D

Heres my team if all 3 changes play:

FB: Gibson Guerra Pops

Team for two changes:

FB: Gibson Guerra WhiteX

Well that you keep you confused and occupied for a while :D

Agree with what you said mate, would rather the top team though, really think pup needs to debut this week as he would suit the dees small forward line.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet surprisingly but what about a matchup for Sylvia?? He's the player that seems to always step up and play awesome against us.

My teamn would be:

B: Guerra Gilham Puopolo
HB: Gibson Stratton Hodge
C: Savage Mitchell Young
HF: Bruce Buddy Lewis
FF: Rioli Roughead Hale

R: Renouf Sewell Burgoyne
I/C Shiels Suckling Ladson Changa(sub)

IN: Puopolo, Hodge, Guerra

OUT: Whitex, Ozzy, Birchall

The only reason Gilham is keeping his spot is because he needs to take the resting ruckmen. Changa the sub as he can make an immediate impact.

Lewis to play forward on grimes, Stratton to jurrah, puopolo to maric or benell depending on where they play. If Sylvia goes forward Gibbo NEEDS to take him if he plays mid gibbo stays on dunn.

If we can manage to keep sylvia and jurrah reasonably quiet, we should absolutely thump Melbourne this week. (Y)

Lewis playing Johncock out of the match... probably was a waste of Lewy's game. I would say... play him more of a midfield role and Let Bruce play the forward tagging role.

My Team for this week with players coming in... in Bold

Guerra Gibson Gilham
Ladson Stratton Suckling
Young HODGE Burgoyne
Bruce Franklin Rioli
Osborne Roughead Bateman

Hale Mitchell Sewell

Int: Savage Bailey (only because i was pretty unimpressed with Renouf) Lewis SUB: Shiels

I thought Laddo was pretty good. was great seeing him play freely again with confidence. just a few tweaks and we'll be right. haha some of our play was awesome on saturday... just need to sustain it

4 changes for me + some creative thinking
IMO this is getting close

Pup Gilham Gibson
Hodge Stratton Smith
Young Lewis Savage
Rioli Roughie Bateman
Hale Franklin Shiels

Renouf Burgoyne Mitchell

(I) Sewell WhiteX Ellis Bruce (sub)

(E) Ladson Suckling Guerra Osbourne

Hodge and Pup add some much needed starch to the defense. Hodge at hbf can float across the lines directing the play which he does so well. Can be used for the kick in role too while regaining 100% fitness.
Pup will add some run and carry with pace out of the last line as well as harassing the small melb fwd defensively.
Smith onto the hbf for mine. Some say hes not ready. I think this is the game to let him loose and see what hes got. I believe we have a beauty here lets let him learn on the run. Provides real pace and run out of the back. Able to deliver the ball long as well. Love to se him and Youngie carving thru the middle from opposite sides.
Ellis onto the interchange after reported good match for BH. Versatile enough to be played in a number of roles. Hopefully this applies all season. EARN your spot.

Only other change I'd like to see is Lewis brought back into the center again. I think we are wasting his talents. Hes a good inside mid , hard at the ball and could provide a valuable link between the back and fwds. Hes a good kick and generally makes good decisions. No lack of courage either. Apart from that could give Sammy a much needed spell, maybe a rotational between the 2. Playing in the center will also free him up to create as the play rebounds out our back end.

Bruce to play the sub role as can go back, fwd or mid. Not a gamebreaking role but a stabiliser if he plays to his potential.

Ladson and Suckling stiff to miss but matchups dont suit for this game.

Bailey to replace Renouf eventually.

Overall we add some grunt to the defense, some pace and rebounding out of the back, some creativity and genuine speed thru the center and wings, plus 3 small running/crumbing little guys at the feet of our 3 big targets.

Wont happen i know.....BUT.......Its getting close IMO :D Thoughts ?

Thanks Turly. Yeah I saw his kick for goal and it was poor by under 8's standards let alone the big league. The skills around the ground are a concern. From what I've read in other threads his tapwork was so/so at best?
So/so would be pretty generous mate, He was WOG saturday night up against 2 average ruckmen including a 2nd gamer (mckernan) it was pretty embarrassing mate. His kicking would be close to worst in the comp, I don't understand why they haven't helped him improve his kicking during the pre-season and previous pre-seasons for that matter?? He can take a mark as we have seen, but a lot of the time taking a pack mark is no good unless you can kick it to your teams advantage.

Having said all that he could not have played a worse game, so he can only improve on that performance.:eek:

Love putting Hodge back to half back. He is the Hawks best player and the Hawks best at organising everyone else. Put him behind the ball where he can control the whole game and the Hawks will be a much much better side.

Would love to see Popuolo get a chance and with Hodge pulling the stings he will be fine.

Slightly away from FOOBTBALL kinda, after the game @ aurora where a nice family restrant to go for tea? Any launcestion people here who can help? (no not maccas, kfc or hungry jacks thats what we nornally do) Please?

Just look up Nesbit in the whitepages.... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guerra Gibson Gilham
Puopolo Stratton Hodge
Young Burgoyne Savage
Bruce Franklin Rioli
Ellis Roughead Bailey

Hale Mitchell Sewell

Int : Lewis , Shiels , Bateman

SUB: Cheney (against his old side, he will play like a cut cat)

Out : Renouf , Osborne , Birchall , Ladson (unlucky) , Whitecross , Suckling

Doubt Clarko will make too many changes but this is what I'd like to see.

So/so would be pretty generous mate, He was WOG saturday night up against 2 average ruckmen including a 2nd gamer (mckernan) it was pretty embarrassing mate. His kicking would be close to worst in the comp, I don't understand why they haven't helped him improve his kicking during the pre-season and previous pre-seasons for that matter?? He can take a mark as we have seen, but a lot of the time taking a pack mark is no good unless you can kick it to your teams advantage.

Having said all that he could not have played a worse game, so he can only improve on that performance.:eek:

Yeah we can only remain optimistic and hope that Bailey can get going and stay going.

As a few others have eluded to, I think this could be a reasonably tough game. I certainly won't be underestimating Melbourne. With their youth though, I would love to see us bring in Smith's run to see how he goes with the big boys. I don't think he'll look at home straight away, but I reckon if he can put a few games together he'll start realising what he can and can't get away with in terms of evading tackles and dashing off as he does so so well in the VFL.

In: Isaac Smith

Keep in: Matt Suckling...give the kid some continuity to find his feet. He was still the Hawks' 6th-8th highest possession winner on the weekend.

Out: Ladson, Birchall

Agree with Suckling, if he is retained on the playing list then the selectors should at least give him a chance to get up to AFL tempo. Give him 3 or 4 games unless he is totally floundering, he was ok on the w/e.

I think Ozzy would be under more scrutiny by the selectors than Laddo after the weekend performance.

B 4. Rick Ladson 27. Stephen Gilham 31. Matt Suckling
HB 6. Josh Gibson 24. Ben Stratton 15. Luke Hodge ©
M 21. Shane Savage 5. Sam Mitchell 11. Clinton Young
HF 9. Shaun Burgoyne 23. Lance Franklin 17. Cameron Bruce
F 37. Brendan Whitecross 2. Jarryd Roughead 3. Jordan Lewis
R 20. David Hale 12. Brad Sewell 33. Cyril Rioli
INT 34. Brent Renouf 26. Liam Shiels 16. Isaac Smith
SUB 10. Chance Bateman

In: Hodge, Smith
Out: Osborne, Birchall

I can't imagine we'll make too many changes. I'd like to see Bruce on a forward flank pushing up to the middle though.

Just a question guys, I am going to the Hawks presidents function this Sunday & just wanted to know if anyone has been & what its like as I haven't been to another clubs function?

B 4. Rick Ladson 27. Stephen Gilham 31. Matt Suckling
HB 6. Josh Gibson 24. Ben Stratton 15. Luke Hodge ©
M 21. Shane Savage 5. Sam Mitchell 11. Clinton Young
HF 9. Shaun Burgoyne 23. Lance Franklin 17. Cameron Bruce
F 37. Brendan Whitecross 2. Jarryd Roughead 3. Jordan Lewis
R 20. David Hale 12. Brad Sewell 33. Cyril Rioli
INT 34. Brent Renouf 26. Liam Shiels 16. Isaac Smith
SUB 10. Chance Bateman

In: Hodge, Smith
Out: Osborne, Birchall

I can't imagine we'll make too many changes. I'd like to see Bruce on a forward flank pushing up to the middle though.

I think we need continuity of players to acclimatise to the game plan under real match conditions so one or two changes only for me.

Seems Bateman and Osborne are just not delivering what we need so happy with them been under the most scrutiny.

Want Birchall to do more.

Want Lewis to be freed from tagging. Seems a waste of his talents (other than the occasional job).

Think Smith will need to be in the team come finals time so I am happy to blood him now.

We need Hodge in ASAP.

Want Savage and Sheils to be retained for a few weeks.

The best players in the Box Hill practice match were Puopolo, Ellis and Guerra. Together with Hodge (if fit) and Smith they should come under consideration for selection against the Demons. Players in good form should be rewarded.
The longshot is Bailey as we could certainly use him but he may not yet be ready to run out a full game.
In my opinion we will be a better balanced team with these guys in but based on last weeks selections my view is not shared by the coaching staff.

Ladson, Gilham, Gibson

Birchall, Stratton, Hodge
Lewis, Burgoyne, Suckling
Savage, Franklin, Young
Rioli, Roughead, Hale
Renouf, Sheils, Mitchell
Sewell, Bateman, Ellis, Whitecross

In- Hodge, Ellis

Out- Bruce, Osborne

This seems reasonable although Birchall could also be replaced with Goo.

Bruce has alot of work to do to win me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back