Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Walking around the stadium on Saturday watching people’s faces when the Purple Rain countdown came on, all I saw was cringing and discomfort. The song may have some symbolism, but it is completely the wrong tune to be building up excitement for a game.

Personally, I wouldn’t be opposed to more AC/DC, but that’s just the old bogan in me.

Sorry marketing folks, but I reckon this one is a bust.

Walking around the stadium on Saturday watching people’s faces when the Purple Rain countdown came on, all I saw was cringing and discomfort. The song may have some symbolism, but it is completely the wrong tune to be building up excitement for a game.

Personally, I wouldn’t be opposed to more AC/DC, but that’s just the old bogan in me.

Agreed. Other than having the word Purple in it, what symbolism does it have.

Someone more of a go-getter than me should start a petition to the club. I would happily sign that bad boy!

Agreed. Other than having the word Purple in it, what symbolism does it have.

Someone more of a go-getter than me should start a petition to the club. I would happily sign that bad boy!

"I never wanted to be your weekend lover" is just about the most Freo lyric imaginable.

I agree though, as much as I love PR it doesn't really work as a pump up song.

If NYHUIS was any good and getting games, I wouldn’t be against “Welcome to Nyhuis” as the count down song.

The only problem I can see is that you would need to get Prince to perform live every home game. Purple Rain was the closing track of the 2007 superbowl half time show and was pumping. Has an awesome guitar solo. Of course the guitar solo on the studio track doesn't start till about 4 minutes in. Having said that, I like it.

Have to agree.

Totally the wrong mood. Go with the old thunderstruck riff countdown, it may be unimaginative but it works

It has no relevance and is cringeworthy for sure. May as well play ‘purple people eater’. I agree that it has to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Collingwood going with Nothing Else Matters as their start up song was bad but this is equally so.

Agree that we need something which gees up the crowd more...

That and please fix the light show when we win at Optus...the lights on and off stuff wasn't pretty

Highway to Hell?

Long Way to the Top?

Personally I would like the Eskimo Joe song that didn't get up for the official theme song to be played before the bounce, at least it had a bit of oomph and you could sing along to it.
That song was a real banger. I still sing it - so catchy

Its pretty awesome when they play thunderstruck, that should be the song they play leading up to the bounce. Revs up the crowd and the players im sure.

The only music played should be the national anthem with the crowd pledging allegiance to the flag. This fan engagement nonsense is the brain fart from some Millennial marketing student. Poor!

No no no no no no no
Disagree completely
Much prefer the majesty of Purple Rain over ac/dc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back