QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone knows Labrador are the favourites. PBC have been giving teams a hiding, and they are good front runners - but the good sides would back themselves in the close ones.

I think everyone knows Labrador are the favourites. PBC have been giving teams a hiding, and they are good front runners - but the good sides would back themselves in the close ones.
Went and watched an impressive Labrador outfit today . Always in control. Anyone go to the Broadbeach and pbc game?

Went and watched an impressive Labrador outfit today . Always in control. Anyone go to the Broadbeach and pbc game?

A good attendance at Broadbeach saw PBC get the job done in a competitive free flowing match. Ideal conditions and 2 teams that will most likely play finals allowed for good skills and some nice passages of play.

Cats were competitive and got to within a couple of points in both the 3rd and last 1/4, although even as a biased supporter you always felt that palmy would steady and go on and win the match which is exactly what happened in the last 10 minutes.

I know PBC had a couple of players out however they are probably able to cover them a bit more readily than us with Shreeve, Searl and Ellis being out I was pleased at how the boys cracked in.

Just a lazy 8 sausage rolls for Big bustling Bazza, anyone at the game to see if they were stock standard goals or some string pack marks etc?

It was a combination of both, he looked good on the lead a few times and was strong with his body work. Looked pretty good for a 40 year old

8.18 !

Wont hurt PBC as they will still finish 2nd, but brings the Panthers back into finals calculations well and truly

Palmy a bit stiff on the weekend and Morningside looked well and truly on, especially late.
I agree can't see it hurting PBC too much, looks like they had a few injuries too.

Not a lot of action here... Thought the log jam between 4 and 7 would generate some talk. Can Mt Gravatt and Sherwood hold on or will Morningside finally click into gear and snatch a spot in the 5!

Will Sandgate be in this league next year ?

I suppose in any comp there's going to be one or two teams that struggle. Unfortunately this year Sandgate seem to be in a totally different league to everyone else. You could say that about Labrador and Palmy at the other end too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a lot of action here... Thought the log jam between 4 and 7 would generate some talk. Can Mt Gravatt and Sherwood hold on or will Morningside finally click into gear and snatch a spot in the 5!
Morningside will be there I reckon. They're probably the only side from the pack that, on their day, can realistically challenge Labrador and Palmy. They had a slow start but are hitting their straps and if they continue, wont be expecting to lose more than two games for the rest of the H&A season.

On another subject, how the Magpies lost two young players this weekend to the GWS NEAFL side, I do not know. That's right, GWS! No disrespect to Sandgate, but the loss of those players (given the pies had about 7 other changes from the week before) could have really hurt them if they were playing a stronger team. Why should QAFL teams suffer because GWS don't have the numbers to send a side up to Qld?

Can't the players just say no?
Total bullshit they have the hide to even ask. The kids can say no but the problem is they are young and impressionable and either from what they get told or from what they are thinking, they see it as a chance to potentially get drafted!!. Now I don't know the players in question but for 98% of the players used as top ups they are no chance. If as a club you say no you are seen to be stifling there development. Youd never want to stop their development or deny a chance to play at a major venue as a curtain raiser, but ive seen kids who were good players at club level with no chance of being drafted playing 10+ games as top ups denying their club of their services. Its a tough one, but if your trying to win a premiership at club level its a pain in the arse to have academies ring you on Thurs asking for players!

Can't the players just say no?
The poor kids are made to feel that if they say no, their chances of Lions/state academy selection, and therefore a chance at getting drafted, will be shot. Always has been the case and always will be. They just feed the kids false hope, use them as witches hats for listed players and then dump them without a word when they hit 19.

On another subject, how the Magpies lost two young players this weekend to the GWS NEAFL side, I do not know. That's right, GWS! No disrespect to Sandgate, but the loss of those players (given the pies had about 7 other changes from the week before) could have really hurt them if they were playing a stronger team. Why should QAFL teams suffer because GWS don't have the numbers to send a side up to Qld?

Yeah thats ridiculous. All its done is save GWS a couple of airline fees. I see one is Brock Aston - good solid kid, will play 200 games at QAFL level if he wishes to, and he would have enjoyed the experience no doubt but really no different to getting called up to play for the Lions which he has done a few times already.
What is more amazing is that Canberra lost something like 6 players I was told to the Giants! So a team in the same comp needs to cherry pick blokes from another team in that comp... TBH is the reason why I dont rate the NEAFL comp as a bona fide comp - its exhibition footy, put simply on for the AFL clubs involved expense. The premierships are meaningless. Now thats not saying the quality of footy is no good because it is still the best footy in this state by a fair way but unless you are aspiring to play AFL footy I'm not sure how excited you could get being part of it. QAFL footy is the best club football in Qld.

Do you think the Magpies were targeted because it was Sandgate who they were playing?

Do you think the Magpies were targeted because it was Sandgate who they were playing?
No. I reckon whoever put those boys forward from the Lions/Qld Academy wouldn't have given a second thought to what their QAFL commitments were. They were probably next in line for a false "development opportunity".

So coincidental this subject has arisen as only 2 weeks ago I queried my club , be it Broadbeach ...
We have a very strong list and at the moment are decimated by injuries to 6 of our top 8 players ,, now that hurts any qafl club,
Even so ,, we cannot find consistentcy on game day as our side has 4 or 5 or 6 changes week in week out due to players going to play for Southport ,, and players coming back from Southport due to being dropped, the Suns Academy doing the same... geez we can not get a stable regular side on the ground come game day.. and it shows big time in our results so far this season.This arrrangment is killing us our chances to become a consistent performer ...yet I see the likes of Labrador and Palm Beach do not have this arrangement so in depth ... thus they field a regular side each week ..
As a confirmation of this , Broadbeach have played some 45 players in the seniors this year .!!!!/// This is just crazy ..

PBC and Labrador would have the same arrangements, every club just does it differently.

All clubs have an association with a NEAFL clubs and their excess players. Every NEAFL listed player is listed with a QAFL club as well, and there is a pre-season draft to determine this (for players that haven't nominated a former club of theirs etc)

If a club believes in their QAFL list and doesn't want NEAFL blokes coming in and out, they deliberately draft top-end NEAFL talent pretty safe in the knowledge that they will never see them.

If they feel like they could do with some top-up players, or have gaps in their list - then come NEAFL draft day - those clubs deliberately target the bottom end of the NEAFL lists in the draft, pretty safe in the knowledge that those blokes will play most weeks for them in the QAFL.

The place you don't want to be is have a bunch of guys associated with your club that are around the bottom of the best 22 for their NEAFL team, or next in line for the best 22 - as they are the types that will come and go week to week and continuity will suffer.

sounds like Broadbeach are in that scenario, while Labrador and PBC are not.

the structure is exactly the same for all clubs though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back