Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne? My whole life they've been about as innocuous as Sydney, but without the funky Capper, Eddelston era. They did have Jacko for a while though, so I can see them overtaking Freo in the rivalry stakes.
Collingwood Melbourne was a massive rivalry back in the 40’s/50’s iirc, but they’ve been irrelevant for so long that they’ll never get it back, no matter how much Melbourne fans want it to happen. They’re still minnows, even with a recent premiership.

Melbourne fans talking tough and making it out like this will be like a Collingwood Carlton rivalry.
I heard a Dee's supporter on sen yesterday saying how scared she was at the football on Thursday.. it was just violent & so scary, I've never felt anything like it, it was just awful when Angus was knocked out, the crowd was just really angry, yelling & chanting & the game was just so, so...

...a final?

I couldn't help think the poor dear had probably never experienced a crowd of nearly 100,000 at a football game before..

but mostly I hoped she has a ticket for Friday. Because if she thought our behaviour was intimidating & feral on Thursday, just wait until she experiences 70-80,000 Blues supporters going off at a full stadium 😆

Melbourne? My whole life they've been about as innocuous as Sydney, but without the funky Capper, Eddelston era. They did have Jacko for a while though, so I can see them overtaking Freo in the rivalry stakes.
Yeah, for those who weren't conscious in the 50s and 60s (where's jonbe to guide us?) I don't think any care about the Dees. But, their club is filled with deadshits

Yeah, for those who weren't conscious in the 50s and 60s (where's jonbe to guide us?) I don't think any care about the Dees. But, their club is filled with deadshits
Our 1958 Premiership was the one that stopped Melbourne from winning 4 in a row and equalling our record.
Our 2018 PF win did the same to Bichmond, thankfully.

Ask Maggie5 about the Demons. She has maintained the rage for decades. I think she even prefers Carlton to Melbourne - which just about makes her unique on this board.🫣

She’s been lecturing me about Melbourne for quite some time, but I’ve always struggled to work up any hate for them.

Until this week…

Ask Maggie5 about the Demons. She has maintained the rage for decades. I think she even prefers Carlton to Melbourne - which just about makes her unique on this board.🫣

She’s been lecturing me about Melbourne for quite some time, but I’ve always struggled to work up any hate for them.

Until this week…
A very good 'I told you so' moment!

You earned the right. Their carry on has been unbelievable!
In all the years I have followed the Pies, there are none worse than Melbourne supporters to be sitting near.

Have had some great times with supporters of other teams.

In all the years I have followed the Pies, there are none worse than Melbourne supporters to be sitting near.

Have had some great times with supporters of other teams.
Remember a Collingwood v Carlton game at Waverley when Daicos went nuts in the last quarter and kicked 5 goals that quarter. A Carlton supporter yelled first touch today Daicos when Daicos kicked his first of the last quarter. My response was well done Daicos, 3 goals from 1 kick. By the end of it, it was 7 goals from 5 kicks:)
It was good light hearted banter.

So Gawn said on Triple M there wasn’t much of a difference in the first 10 minutes with us at 100 and Melbourne at 97. Then saying we kept Collingwood to three goals and held well defensively
He was clearly wearing rose tinted glasses if he thought that.
If Billy & Checkers had kicked straight early, we would have been up by 5 or 6 goals at half time.
We won the game on actual score, rather than the expected score BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was clearly wearing rose tinted glasses if he thought that.
If Billy & Checkers had kicked straight early, we would have been up by 5 or 6 goals at half time.
We won the game on actual score, rather than the expected score BS.
Yeah, it should have been 8.3 to 2.4 at half time had we not missed some real sitters. Either way, we're onto a prelim :)

That's exactly how it looked to me, 4-19 i50s in the last, that's where the massive i50 discrepancy came from. Clear in the 2nd and 3rd when we needed to go we went and had space i50.

The dees never had space.

Watching the replay twice now, it looks like we can tempo the game and go when we need to. Sure there were some fumbly moments in transition, I'd put that down to finals pressure and we can improve it from there.
That’s my take as well, seems like we realise that momentum is going to change during the game so we have an offensive style when we have it and a defensive style when the oppo does. Seems obvious but a lot of teams try to stay offensive whatever it is. Think that’s probably why we doesn’t smash many sides

Yeah, it should have been 8.3 to 2.4 at half time had we not missed some real sitters. Either way, we're onto a prelim :)
8.3? That’s conservative to say the least

With 14 minutes left in the second, it should have been 9.0 to 1.0. Who knows what could have happened from there

So Gawn said on Triple M there wasn’t much of a difference in the first 10 minutes with us at 100 and Melbourne at 97. Then saying we kept Collingwood to three goals and held well defensively

100 to 97 what? Gawn points?

Champion data guy on the radio got it right this week. We kicked the crap out of the Dees for the first 40 minutes.
Extend that to 60 minutes in the PF and 80 in the GF and we lift the cup.

Sorry, 8.1! I think there was at least 1 miss from our fwds that was somewhat excusable.
The claim that the Brayshaw injury lost the game for them is also likely false. Take out the Brayshaw injury and resultant goal and we're at least a goal further up, probably more, as our momentum was sapped for a time after the injury.

100 to 97 what? Gawn points?
Nah just in effort. He said even if Melbourne were at 97% effort Collingwood was at 100% and that kind of small margin can be the difference between winning and losing (I’m paraphrasing here). It was an acknowledgment of how intense we started off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back