Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Thursday night's qualifying final started in brilliant fashion for Collingwood, before outlasting Melbourne by 7 points. The opening term saw the Magpies put the Demons to the sword with 4 early goals against Melbourne's solitary goal resulting in scoreboard pressure and an early lead of 20 points at quarter time. The second quarter was tightly fought with hardly any goals being kicked which resulted in both teams kicking one goal each and Melbourne winning the term by 3 points to reduce Collingwood's margin to 17 points at half time. The third term was when the Magpies had all the answers to each challenge Melbourne had posed, with the Pies booting 4 majors to 2 and increase their half time lead by 8 points to 25 points at three quarter time. The last quarter saw Collingwood go goalless and Melbourne score three goals to have an ouside chance of victory. Despite Melbourne's resurgence, the Woods took several match-saving marks in defence to ensure Collingwood's victory by 7 points to confirm a home preliminary final in a fortnight's time.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from key indicators such as kicks by +7 (212 - 205), intercept possessions by +4 (84 - 80), turnovers recorded a deficit of -4 (80 - 84), while hit-outs had a differential of +15 ( 48 - 33 ) and stoppage clearances had a margin of +1 (33 - 32). Tackles were in Collingwood's favour by +1 (62 - 61), followed by marks, which were won by +9 ( 77 - 68 ), with uncontested marks won by +15 ( 68 - 53 ), and intercept marks had a gap of +4 (84 - 80). Melbourne dominated the vast majority of the key statistical categories on offer, but still failed to win the game. They won their key indicators from disposals by +6 (325 - 319), recorded a differential of +13 for handballs (120 - 107), while contested possessions were up by +14 (153 - 139) and uncontested possessions were won narrowly by +1 (164 - 163). Clearances were claimed by +4 (44 - 40), with centre clearances won by +5 (12 - 7), while Tackles Inside 50 had an advantage of +4 (13 - 9), +6 for contested marks (15 - 9), Marks Inside 50 were +1 ( 9 - 8 ), and Inside 50s had a differential of + 32 (69 - 37), which amounted to nothing at the end of the night.

Steele Sidebottom (22 disposals @ 46%, 411 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) patrolled the wing with class and a high work rate to win the ball both ways. Sidebottom was prepared to work defensively to provide a marking option for his teammates as they exited the ball from defence to commence transition play. Sidebottom was also keeping his decision-making very simple by kicking long to contests or finding a loose target when it was on offer.

Tom Mitchell (21 disposals @ 57%, 231 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 13 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) generated ball movement from stoppages by releasing handballs from packs to his teammates who could then have time and space to kick the ball forward. Mitchell had an impressive third term where he won a couple of crucial centre clearances of which he was able to kick forward and give his forwards opportunities to score goals.

Jordan De Goey (19 disposals @ 53%, 325 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) looked to conjure and produce territory with each of his possessions in a game where time and space wasn't afforded. De Goey capitalised on his shot at goal in the third term to thwart Melbourne's charge.

Mason Cox (9 disposals @ 56%, 34 hit-outs, 7 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks, 6 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50s) held his own against Max Gawn before tiring late in the game. Cox was able to get his hand to the ball more often than Gawn but couldn't parlay those hit-outs to advantage from the centre. Cox managed to take matters into his own hands by taking the ball from the ruck at stoppages to clear the ball six times, which was unorthodox.

Darcy Cameron (8 disposals @ 62%, 14 hit-outs, 6 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances & 1 goal) had an impact early with a contested mark up forward of which he converted a goal from it. Aside from that, Cameron never really got going and was eventually subbed out of the contest for Jack Ginnivan who had an impact when he came on for him.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 61%, 500 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) was lively and damaging with his run and creativity off half-back where he broke some lines, attempted daring kicks and runs to receive handpasses in the corridor, while kicking long to contests when there was nothing on. Crisp managed to kick an excellent goal from outside 50 in the opening term to give his team reward for effort and show true reflection on the scoreboard.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (20 disposals @ 60%, 468 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 10 Rebound 50s) was a human brick wall at stages during his brilliant game in defence, where he took several marks which were pivitotal to Collingwood's victory, while giving his team vital territory that it had been conceding throughout the evening. One of Hoskin-Elliott's finest games in recent memory.

Isaac Quaynor (17 disposals @ 82%, 308 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) had a reliable game in defence where he took crucial marks, while stabilising his team's ball movement and structure with effective ball use.

Jeremy Howe (17 disposals @ 65%, 320 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) focused on providing his team genuine rebounding power with his kicks or releasing handpasses to teammates who had time and space to use the ball effectively and accurately from defence to begin attacks.

Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 69%, 371 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) managed to mentally overcome his incident with Angus Brayshaw and played his role well, despite the tribulations that will come at the tribunal in the coming days. Maynard was able to hold his marks before using his penetrating left foot to good effect by kicking long to a contest where his teammates would compete to bring it to ground or force a stoppage.

Darcy Moore (16 disposals @ 88%, 350 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 2 contested marks & 8 Rebound 50s) stood up and led by example with his actions, where he took his marks, and created strong rebounds from the defensive arc to offer his team protection at all costs.

Oleg Markov (13 disposals @ 92%, 193 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles & 3 score involvements) played within his limitations by taking simple options with each kick and handpass that he executed, while stabilising the situation calmly with marks that put a halt to any reurgence the Demons had on offer.

Brody Mihocek (15 disposals @ 67%, 376 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was a focal point up forward with telling marks being taken up between the wing and half-forward, of which he created forward entries, while his tackling pressure was at a good level. Mihocek was able to maintain Collingwood's lead during the second quarter where goals were at a premium.

Bobby Hill (13 disposals @ 77%, 299 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 6 score involvements & 3 goals) ignited Collingwood with the first two goals of the game and remained lively throughout the evening. Hill would impact the game in the third term to increase Collingwood's lead heading into three quarter time. Hill also managed to take marks higher up the ground when it was required, while sticking his tackles up forward.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 50%, 296 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) worked high up the ground to take his marks and create entries for his teammates up forward, while tackling again remained as a hallmark of McCreery's game.

Daniel McStay (7 disposals @ 86%, 131 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) made his mark on the game with an impressive third quarter where he took critical marks up forward, before going back and kicking two valuable goals.

Collingwood's next game will be against GWS Giants on September 22 at the MCG. The return of Nick Daicos is imminent and will be a crucial cog in the team's ball movement upon his return to the side. Brayden Maynard will hopefully avoid suspension at the tribunal in the coming nights. As for the team, dominate the opposition at all times, make every shot at goal count over four quarters. Shall the Magpies achieve their objectives, they will be booking their first Grand Final appearance since 2018.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I see IQ, Jack Crisp, Bobby & Sidey were in the votes for the Gary Ayres Award.
They were certainly amongst our better players.

Read Petracca's interview on the AFL site; Demons clearly have instructed their players to "not want to talk about" Maynard's side of it, and thus give his point of view of the clash no validation at all.

Understandable, i guess, but for me still reeks of unpleasant saltiness.

I used to not mind Melb. too much, but this is quickly souring me on them.

Read Petracca's interview on the AFL site; Demons clearly have instructed their players to "not want to talk about" Maynard's side of it, and thus give his point of view of the clash no validation at all.

Understandable, i guess, but for me still reeks of unpleasant saltiness.

I used to not mind Melb. too much, but this is quickly souring me on them.
Except to say "Oh he's still really wobbly" which is very subtly trying to paint Bruz as the villain in any case.

This is getting outrageous. It was an accident and he went over with good intentions.

Ffs, you’d think Maynard elbowed him in the face or something….

Just flicked on On the Couch. Gary Lyon has worked it out. BREAKING NEWS!

The key to scoring against us is kicking floating mongrel punts into the forward line so that our defenders can't mark it!!!

Browny stopped him to say "Do you think Collingwood were able to establish their defensive set up though Gaz, once they established that match winning lead, do you think they were able to get their numbers back there? Do you give some credit to Collingwood's defensive structure?"

And what did Gaz say? "I do... they stood up beautifully. BUT they were... they were... given the greatest head's up of all! They ran back defensively and knew exactly where the ball was going" lmao.

They did similar on KB it's just lucky we didn't score an extra goal.

Melbourne want to be the most hated team again, as they were in the 1950s.
They are headed in the right direction, but, for me, they won't supplant the scum and the bummers.

Melbourne want to be the most hated team again, as they were in the 1950s.
They are headed in the right direction, but, for me, they won't supplant the scum and the bummers.
Melbourne are now very close to being my most equally despised team along with Carlton. I've always found them to be so irrelevant and pitiful, and didn't waste my energy on disliking them with any real passion. And most of their players are just incredibly unlikeable & fugly.

But the sooky, whiney, hypocritical, hysterical, holier than thou crap they've carried on with this week has moved them right up the loathsome ladder with Carlscum.

Did anyone listen to the Champion Data nerd on SEN with Cornes and Healey yesterday evening?

I didn’t hear the full segment but he did comment that Collingwood should have received more credit for the win. The boys played 40 minutes of intensity which reversed all Melbourne’s actual strengths with them only kicking 1 goal which was through a free kick.

He was also going to clarify the ‘expected margin’ as I think he said it’s not as clear as what people suggest. However, I couldn’t stay for the explanation. Did anyone hear it?

Did anyone listen to the Champion Data nerd on SEN with Cornes and Healey yesterday evening?

I didn’t hear the full segment but he did comment that Collingwood should have received more credit for the win. The boys played 40 minutes of intensity which reversed all Melbourne’s actual strengths with them only kicking 1 goal which was through a free kick.

He was also going to clarify the ‘expected margin’ as I think he said it’s not as clear as what people suggest. However, I couldn’t stay for the explanation. Did anyone hear it?

At last! Someone confirming what we saw with our own eyes - the Pies had a very good, intense and high pressure win.

I missed the second half of Gerard & Cornes show last night too, so didn't hear that part either..if you download the SEN app you can listen to the podcast.

It was quite refreshing to hear Hoyne finally talk positively about the Pies. Our first qtr and a half was insane. He was particularly impressed with Adams, Crisp & Steele in the first 40 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed the second half of Gerard & Cornes show last night too, so didn't hear that part either..if you download the SEN app you can listen to the podcast.

It was quite refreshing to hear Hoyne finally talk positively about the Pies. Our first qtr and a half was insane. He was particularly impressed with Adams, Crisp & Steele in the first 40 minutes.
Yes from memory he mentioned their contested possessions in that period were off the charts. Particularly Sidey having 8 which has extreme for a wingman.

We outplayed them at their own game.

* it. Ive changed my mind and will be cheering for Carlton Friday night. These campaigners can GAGF. At least you know what you're getting with Carlton, Essendon etc. These spineless pricks are an embarrassment

I'm in a similar boat

The way Maynard has been portrayed in all this and it's been mostly been driven by Melbourne and Melbourne affiliated media personalities has me actually wanting Carlton to smash them this Friday

Goodwin seems to be a genuine scumbag between his response last Thursday combined with all we know about his conduct behind the scenes

I know. The emotions of a fresh challenger to Carlton as the biggest bunch of flogs in the league has me rattled and prone to impulsive outbursts. I fit in seamlessly on the main board at present though
I'm with ya, after Goodwin and others piled onto Maynard I'm almost a blue Friday night

God help me
I feel dirty

I'm with ya, after Goodwin and others piled onto Maynard I'm almost a blue Friday night

God help me
I feel dirty
Hopefully scores are level at the end of the game and they have slug out 2 extra time periods only to have a Stop Oil protest hold up play for an hour and Carlton win after the siren with a down the field free after Ed Langdon KOs Charlie Curnow with a shepherd

At last! Someone confirming what we saw with our own eyes - the Pies had a very good, intense and high pressure win.
Here you go

And link to the actual discussion on podcast:

Here you go

And link to the actual discussion on podcast:

Still find it strange how that win largely went under the radar. I know about all the distractions of the last week, but we played very good and controlled finals footy last Thursday, in the Fly style, and some of our best players were down.

Underrate us at your peril.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back