Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Still find it strange how that win largely went under the radar. I know about all the distractions of the last week, but we played very good and controlled finals footy last Thursday, in the Fly style, and some of our best players were down.

Underrate us at your peril.

I'm glad it went under the radar.

Not for the reasons it did, but the less focus on what we're doing well & right, all the better as far as I'm concerned.

Still find it strange how that win largely went under the radar. I know about all the distractions of the last week, but we played very good and controlled finals footy last Thursday, in the Fly style, and some of our best players were down.

Underrate us at your peril.
Agreed that our first 40 minutes was the best we have played for a long time. What excites me is that we are building. Play like that for half a game and no one will catch us.
Interestingly on jock and journo podcast, some guy was interviewing Pendles. Pendles said at 3/4 time that Elliott said to him are we going too defensive. Sounded like the message may have been to play safe which may have contributed to the lack of forward entries by us.

Agreed that our first 40 minutes was the best we have played for a long time. What excites me is that we are building. Play like that for half a game and no one will catch us.
Interestingly on jock and journo podcast, some guy was interviewing Pendles. Pendles said at 3/4 time that Elliott said to him are we going too defensive. Sounded like the message may have been to play safe which may have contributed to the lack of forward entries by us.

That is an interesting point, and we all know what happened in the last quarter. I’m not suggesting we ‘controlled’ that exactly to our liking. I’ve seen footage of Fly in the last 10 minutes looking anything but comfortable. We didn’t plan that! But we shut it down and held on to win just like we have numerous times in the last two years. And our defence was pure ‘premiership’ in how it held up.

Pendles said at 3/4 time that Elliott said to him are we going too defensive. Sounded like the message may have been to play safe which may have contributed to the lack of forward entries by us.
That's exactly how it looked to me, 4-19 i50s in the last, that's where the massive i50 discrepancy came from. Clear in the 2nd and 3rd when we needed to go we went and had space i50.

The dees never had space.

Watching the replay twice now, it looks like we can tempo the game and go when we need to. Sure there were some fumbly moments in transition, I'd put that down to finals pressure and we can improve it from there.

That is an interesting point, and we all know what happened in the last quarter. I’m not suggesting we ‘controlled’ that exactly to our liking. I’ve seen footage of Fly in the last 10 minutes looking anything but comfortable. We didn’t plan that! But we shut it down and held on to win just like we have numerous times in the last two years. And our defence was pure ‘premiership’ in how it held up.
I'd argue the memo would've been defend priority score 2nd priority in the last, not a fan of the idea but as you stated our impervious defence proved correct.

Not sure that'll be the memo against the brions if they get there, in saying that it's been proven that only our and the dees defence could contain them.

I'd argue the memo would've been defend priority score 2nd priority in the last, not a fan of the idea but as you stated our impervious defence proved correct.

Not sure that'll be the memo against the brions if they get there, in saying that it's been proven that only our and the dees defence could contain them.

Frankly the Lions’ forward line terrifies me. I’ve seen it described as the most ‘potent’ in the competition. We will need our mids, forwards and defenders - the whole team! - all on song to counter their offence if we meet them in the GF. I hope Darcy’s hand injury is not worse than the club is letting on.

from SEN : ..

"
Hoyne also singled out a few key Magpies who stood up when the game was there to be won.

“I just want to just give a significant shout-out to a couple of players because that first 40 minutes, that's where the game was won. That's why Collingwood are sitting back and favourites to reach a Grand Final,” Hoyne said.

“Taylor Adams' finals record over the last five-six years has been exceptional. He had seven contested possessions in the first 40 minutes.

“Steele Sidebottom playing as a winger had eight contested possessions in 40 minutes. Unheard of for a winger.

“Then Jack Crisp, his finals record is superb as well, in the first 40 minutes of that game he had 10 disposals, three clearances and kicked a goal to kickstart things.”"

Frankly the Lions’ forward line terrifies me. I’ve seen it described as the most ‘potent’ in the competition. We will need our mids, forwards and defenders - the whole team! - all on song to counter their offence if we meet them in the GF. I hope Darcy’s hand injury is not worse than the club is letting on.
Yeah I agree, we'll be up against it.

But you've also have to recognise if we do play ideal game we're a very good chance of beating them.

I am mate. It’s really happening
It does have that feel about, I'm a product of too many gf losses, my first nightmare I remember being 77 and the trail of destruction since. Hence trepidation from myself and many others.

The positive is that the club is operating at optimum and is giving itself the best chance to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone listen to the Champion Data nerd on SEN with Cornes and Healey yesterday evening?

I didn’t hear the full segment but he did comment that Collingwood should have received more credit for the win. The boys played 40 minutes of intensity which reversed all Melbourne’s actual strengths with them only kicking 1 goal which was through a free kick.

He was also going to clarify the ‘expected margin’ as I think he said it’s not as clear as what people suggest. However, I couldn’t stay for the explanation. Did anyone hear it?
This just goes along with the rest of the topsy turvy world we’re living in this past few days.
Hoyne giving props to Collingwood
Cornes defending a Collingwood player, and passionately
Robbo being the sensible voice of reason on 360.
It’s been a confusing week.

Add this to the confused week we’ve all experienced. We’re actually considering wanting the scum to win.
Yes, we're all feeling a bit conflicted.
I can't bring myself to want the scum to win, but I don't want the red and blue scumbags to win either.
I just hope they beat the living suitcase out of each other.

Did anyone listen to the Champion Data nerd on SEN with Cornes and Healey yesterday evening?

I didn’t hear the full segment but he did comment that Collingwood should have received more credit for the win. The boys played 40 minutes of intensity which reversed all Melbourne’s actual strengths with them only kicking 1 goal which was through a free kick.

He was also going to clarify the ‘expected margin’ as I think he said it’s not as clear as what people suggest. However, I couldn’t stay for the explanation. Did anyone hear it?

He's the first campaigner in the media to actually acknowledge this fact.

We belted them early in the game but all any campaigner talks about is '69 to 37 inside 50's!'

He then banged on about the expected score BS as per usual.

I cannot bring myself to support Carlton in any final. Too much pain from 1970, 1979 and 1,981. These past 20 years watching Carlton languish have been so enjoyable and finally heading them in the head to head count is even better. Still irks me that we trail them on the premiership count.
I also believe that Melbourne will take it right up to Brisbane in a last man standing affair that will leave the winner battered and bruised. On the other hand, Carlton will be fodder for Brisbane and will just tune them up to be primed for the GF.

I'm not as worried about the offensive power of Brisbane as others. We scored just 50 points less over the season. Their defence across the ground is not as strong as ours. And in bursts we've been as dangerous offensively as any team. At the 'G we are the danger no matter who we play.

Nothing will be easy, but I have as us favourites after beating the Dees.

He's the first campaigner in the media to actually acknowledge this fact.

We belted them early in the game but all any campaigner talks about is '69 to 37 inside 50's!'

He then banged on about the expected score BS as per usual.
he also downplayed the Melbourne’s i50 with half being long bombs and low percentage entries.

Melbourne fans talking tough and making it out like this will be like a Collingwood Carlton rivalry.
Melbourne? My whole life they've been about as innocuous as Sydney, but without the funky Capper, Eddelston era. They did have Jacko for a while though, so I can see them overtaking Freo in the rivalry stakes.

I cannot bring myself to support Carlton in any final. Too much pain from 1970, 1979 and 1,981. These past 20 years watching Carlton languish have been so enjoyable and finally heading them in the head to head count is even better. Still irks me that we trail them on the premiership count.
I also believe that Melbourne will take it right up to Brisbane in a last man standing affair that will leave the winner battered and bruised. On the other hand, Carlton will be fodder for Brisbane and will just tune them up to be primed for the GF.
This is my view too. If anything I want an easy win for Melbourne this week purely so they and Brisbane can beat the snot out of each other in the prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back