B: Williams - Tarrant - Wright
HB: LMac - Thompson - Atley
C: JMac - Cunnington - Clarke
HF: Garner - Brown - Higgins
F: Wood - Daw - Thomas
R: Goldy - Ziebell - Jacobs
I: Anderson - Gibson - Dumont - Turner
E: Hrovat - Vickers-Willis - Waite

Maybe VW in For Turner depending on R1 opponent.
Apologies to Spitta but don't see him as best 22 on exposed form.
No way are we going to be as bad as the usual media deadshits think - that is a team that can push for finals.

We are in a world of pain, midfield is up there with weakest in the league. Backline average only, Forward line strong but with a weak midfield who cant kick what's the point. Let's not get too excited about 2017.

B: Williams Thompson Wright
HB: McDonald Tarrant Macmillan
C: Atley Ziebell Clarke
HF: Higgins Brown Wood
F: Garner Daw Hrovat
R: Goldy Dumont Cunnington
I: Jacobs Thomas Swallow Anderson

depth:Waite Mullett Gibson McKenzie Hansen Turner Wagner Durdin

very dangerous forward line, good defence assuming thompson gets back to his best, one of the best rucks, midfield potentially the weakness as it lacks an elite mid. hopefully Clarke turns into that elite mid along with atley and ziebs or Lmac into the midfield

Williams Tarrant Wright
MacMillan Thompson Atley
McDonald Ziebell Clarke
Wood Waite Higgins
Thomas Brown Daw
Goldy Cunnington Dumont

Swallow Garner Anderson Jacobs

23rd man Gibson

I'll probably get flamed for leaving Gibson out but I want McDonald, Atley & MacMillan all playing higher and Gibson can't play back pocket so I've gone with Mr Popular, Marley (Bob) Williams. We need a tagger and at this stage Jacobs is it. Garner & Anderson both give us spark and Dumont, Clarke, Wood, McDonald & MacMillan can run all day.

I'm sure Gibson will be in the side come rd1 but I think this side has the most potential.

Hopefully a draftee can force his way in too.

FB. LMac Tarrant Hansen
HB. Atley Thompson Wright
C. Wells Cunnington JMac
HF. Anderson Brown Higgins
FF. Thomas Waite Wood
R. Goldstein Swallow JZ
Int. Jacobs, Gibson, Clarke, Dumont
Eme: Daw, Mullet, Garner

This is still basically without any new players (minus Clarke), so all the doom and gloom isnt as accurate as people might suggest. If we also snag a few FA or good trades, we still have depth in our high end draft picks, such as McKay, Durdin, Hibberd with another preseason under their belts, as well as potentially Black, Mountford, Wagner, Turner, EVW, & Nielson

You forgot to mention Mr Scott as coach. He's a good coach. Bit of an oversight re Wells there champion. He got traded to Collingwood as a free agent last week.

B: Williams, Tarrant, Vickers-Willis
HB: Atley, Thompson, McDonald
C: Clarke, Cunington, Macmillan
R: Goldstein, Ziebell, Hrovat
HF: Higgins, Brown, Anderson
F: Wood, Waite, Garner
I: Daw, Turner, Hibberd, Dumont, Swallow, Gibson, Thomas, Jacobs, Wright, Durdin, Mullett, McKenzie, Hansen, Wagner, Nielsen, Preuss, Fordham

Harder & Faster

Last edited:
We are in a world of pain, midfield is up there with weakest in the league. Backline average only, Forward line strong but with a weak midfield who cant kick what's the point. Let's not get too excited about 2017.

I kind of agree. At best the midfield has potential. At worst it's, terribly low on experience and class. I'm not expecting much from 2017, but happy that the longer term strategy is sound and the club is taking the right course.

Agree with that, Roozee, and I'm personally liking the look of most of the sides that people are proposing with regards to how we'll fare next year.

With the following caveat....

Momentarily putting aside the vast chasm that exists between some posters' perception of Gibbo and how he's perceived around the club (you know, by those guys who do the important stuff like select the actual side that runs out to play each week)..........even allowing for changes in the team's make-up and an injection of youth and pace into the mix, we are still not going to be the speediest, most mobile side going around, and our Midfield will still feature players that aren't too flash on the spread, or at running both ways. Gibbo's ability to do the latter will, for the time being, continue to prompt his inclusion in the side.

This is a guy who has not been dropped since he debuted. Seems pretty far-fetched to suggest that they are suddenly going to do so off the back of his best season for the club, and a 3rd place finish in the Syd to ice the deal. That doesn't make him the third best player at the club, obviously. But what it does do - again, at least for the time being - is it puts him way, way deep inside our 'best 22'. That's the reality, no matter how hard some people want to try to stave it off. Obviously, form dictates whether he stays there as the season progresses.

But with all due respect, anyone who seriously thinks Gibbo will be left out of the Round 1 side next season has been getting stuck into the brown acid and should probably get themselves to the nearest medical tent before they post anything else that's, at best, delusional.

Current Consecutive Games

Sam Gibson NM 108
Dane Rampe SY 97
Nathan Jones ME 97
Zach Tuohy CA 90
Eddie Betts AD 83
Shaun Burgoyne HW 83
Brandon Ellis RI 81
Justin Westhoff PA 78
Patrick Dangerfield GE 74
Jack Riewoldt RI 69

Current Consecutive Games End 2017 Rd 23

Sam Gibson NM 130

#forgettherest

Spot on; I have found it consistently peculiar how many people can't see that Gibson is structurally one of the most important people in the team, hence the 3rd in the BnF - he plays his role as the best two way runner in the team, and thus gives an outlet from the back half that no one else can

Well said. And nothing that happened in the last two weeks, or that will happen between now and Round 1 next season, is going to alter the above state of play enough to oust him from the 'best 22'.

I'm always amused by those that yearn for more run in the side, while in the same breath calling for Gibson's removal. It's craziness. He may be a limited footballer in some aspects of the game (and even as his biggest defender on this forum, I have never shied away from that), but he is currently our best two-way running Mid as you say, and time and time again - particularly late in the game - he is the only one providing an outlet while those around him either can't, or can't be ****ed. So yeah, it likewise confuses me as to why some people seem incapable of acknowledging that, no matter how they may rate the rest of his game.

The players themselves are clearly all over it, as throughout the match you can see them continually look for Gibbo as a like-clockwork option when transitioning the ball out of the Backline. (While the rest of our Mids are still back up the ground doing their take on the Cliff Young shuffle.) And people want to rid the side of that? Okay then. Sounds awesome.

Whilst you are right, as always, I fail to see how we are positioning ourselves for an aggressive reset if we play the same players as we did last year, none of whom are likely to feature in our next finals campaign.

Frankly, if we go into round 1 next season with all of Swallow, Hansen, Gibson & Thomas in the team, then we are going nowhere and the same people we entrust with selecting the team are indeed liars.

Forget aggressive reset. It's not even a reset.

If we are aggressively resetting then it must be done in totality, not half ass measures.

Which is why I hope Durdin is given first crack at CHB, with Thommo to the spud role.

Which is why I would push MacMillan and McDonald to the wings and why I can't wait to see Anderson, Turner, Hrovat and Garner as the 4 non key forwards.

Hey, I'm all for dropping Swallow.

Can't really see the benefit in getting into a hypothetical back-and-forth over the differing interpretations of already woefully inexact terms like "reset" and "rebuild", and what they mean in terms of the club's veracity. Seems a little too prematurely speculative for my liking. Only to say that with the players we have recently lost, there will most definitely be a new, younger look to the side next year, and plenty of opportunity for those that want to grab it.

Saying that, I'm tipping that a balance will be sought. Personally, I don't see 'deep end development' - trial by weekly 100 point floggings - as being an ideal way to develop youth, and I'm hoping the club sees it similarly. But I also appreciate that in your world, that just equates to "half ass measures".

From an overarching (TM Brad) perspective, I just hope we see players selected on form. (As far as is practical, anyway.)

But yeah, with regards to Gibbo, my post was less about championing him and more about championing reality. He will be selected in the Round 1 side. Sure as Trump has regrettable hair.

It does my head in. Not because I like Gibbo or that I'm defending him. Moreso because every opinion of him being left out of a team renders the whole and rest of the post useless, as another omission needs to be made.
Then again it's an opinion based forum and plenty will agree Gibbo shouldn't be best 22.
Then again be a realist and be reasonable that you try and mirror what match comitee would do.

Well yeah, that's it, taz. Obviously there's no right or wrong when it comes to someone posting their preferred side for 2017. Everyone's got an opinion on that, and our opinions aren't always going to align.

But if it is a poster's aim to guess what the side will look like in Round 1, then anyone leaving Gibson out - and doing so with a straight face - hints a disconnect from reality so pronounced that it tends to discredit anything else the person has to say.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in threads of this nature posters need to be a little clearer as to what it is that their actually posting. Simply employing a phrase like "I've gone with...." doesn't really shed too much light on which one of the two it is.

You forgot to mention Mr Scott as coach. He's a good coach. Bit of an oversight re Wells there champion. He got traded to Collingwood as a free agent last week.
I know mate. Check the date it was posted. Ive included another team somewhere in the thread, which refers to that point, and includes the guys we traded for!

B. Williams Tarrant EVW
C. Gibson Cunnington J. Mac
HF. Higgins Brown Anderson
F. Thomas Daw Wood
R. Goldstein Ziebell Dumont
IC. Clarke Jacobs McDonald Swallow
Emg. Garner Turner Pick 11 (Venables I hope:))

I am really concerned with Thompson at CHB.
I have left out Waite as Wood Daw and Brown as this is our tall forward line for the next 5 years I hope so why not just get games into them playing together.
I really don't like putting Swallow Cunnington and Ziebell in the same midfield but it is what we have and I can't see Bard not picking one of them to get games into kids. Particularly for round one. It does give the option of resting Ziebell forward when swallow comes on but personally would rather pick Garner or Turner.
Tough excercise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno teamwise, but come round 1 next year its gonna look pretty weird to watch North play with no Boomer, Wells or Dish. And seeing Maj up against Goldy (to Mitchell) in the ruck.:p

Whatever the line ups its gonna look like the future not the past.

Well yeah, that's it, taz. Obviously there's no right or wrong when it comes to someone posting their preferred side for 2017. Everyone's got an opinion on that, and our opinions aren't always going to align.

But if it is a poster's aim to guess what the side will look like in Round 1, then anyone leaving Gibson out - and doing so with a straight face - hints a disconnect from reality so pronounced that it tends to discredit anything else the person has to say.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in threads of this nature posters need to be a little clearer as to what it is that their actually posting. Simply employing a phrase like "I've gone with...." doesn't really shed too much light on which one of the two it is.

Fair enough. I left out Gibson not because I hate, but rather trying to fill the side. I do agree he'll play plenty next year and probably beyond.

Our last game and consequent smashing has also seen the end of....

• Petrie
  • Harvey
  • Dal Santo
  • Firrito
  • Wells
As far as I'm aware the club believes these guys fit walk into the side

• Hrovat
  • Wright
  • Thompson
  • Turner/ Garner
  • Wood
  • Jacobs
  • Waite
Then I think the likes of EVW, Mountford, Wagner and Williams should he go ok off field will be looking at games in 2017.

From our current or the last side to take the field. Mullett, Hansen and Swallow could be on the outer at times next year. We as in the club feel MacMillan is best suited to a wing and I like Wood on a wing.

So I suppose I see five/eight openings and about 12 players vying for a spot. I like Gibbo fwiw.

If everyone is fit I reckon this will be pretty close to the mark.

B: Wright – Tarrant – Vickers-Willis
HB: Atley – Thompson – McDonald
C: Macmillan – Cunnington – Gibson
HF: Garner – Waite – Higgins
F: Thomas – Brown – Daw
R: Goldstein – Dumont – Anderson
Int: Wood – Ziebell – Hrovat – Swallow

Emg: Clarke – Turner – Williams - Hansen

Not much of a change to the back 6 other than EVW in to replace Spud as that bigger bodied medium defender. Thompson to take the second tall and Taz the numero uno. Wright to play on the smalls with Atley, and McDonald as the Mr. Fixit.

Through the middle I’d hope to see Anderson pushed on ball, with Dumont a mainstay in the rotations too, playing defensively but also getting his hands on the pill (unlike Jacobs). Cunners hopefully back to a semblance of his best along with Goldy and Swallow, Ziebell and Hrovat to rotate through the guts.

Macmillan and Gibson on the wings, providing outlets and pushing back to cover off our half backs when we inevitably turn the ball over going inside 50. Wood to push up on to the wing but to also push forward hard, pretty much playing as a free roaming half forward/forward/wing.

Higgins, Garner and Thomas to play as smaller forwards, with the first two pushing into the middle.

Daw, Brown and Waite as the three talls. Daw as relief ruck.

The rest:
Tippett- Jacobs – Mullett – McKenzie – Preuss – Fordham – Nielsen – Durdin – Ahern – Hibberd – Mountford – Wagner – McKay – Draftee 1 – Draftee 2 – Draftee 3 – Draftee 4 – Rookie 1 – Rookie 2 – Rookie 3

Notice a lot of posts have The Beatle making the starting 22 in a pocket.

He's that close is he?

Genuine question as I didn't' get to any Werribee games last season.
Apparently in the cusp late last year. I reckon if he hadn't been injured as much as he has he would have played by now.

Can play tallish and moves well so a spot is there for him if he can get fit enough.

Apparently in the cusp late last year. I reckon if he hadn't been injured as much as he has he would have played by now.

Can play tallish and moves well so a spot is there for him if he can get fit enough.

Don't think Hibberd was too far off either. He was playing some decent footy. Not sure if he can play back pocket though.

Waite and swallow being left out of some teams? They'll both be best 22 round 1 whether people like it or not. Locked in

Don't think Hibberd was too far off either. He was playing some decent footy. Not sure if he can play back pocket though.
He played his best game in the last round off a wing after being moved up the ground for the last few weeks. He will do well to displace Gibbo and JMac from those positions.

He played his best game in the last round off a wing after being moved up the ground for the last few weeks. He will do well to displace Gibbo and JMac from those positions.

Yeah different players. Hibberd is more the play maker rather then a lockdown defender. Still it's just nice that despite all the talk of Norths poor development of the youth, there's some kids that showed plenty, and especially as the year went on.

IMO EVW, Dumont, Hibberd, Mountford have all been tracking well.

B. Williams Tarrant EVW
C. Gibson Cunnington J. Mac
HF. Higgins Brown Anderson
F. Thomas Daw Wood
R. Goldstein Ziebell Dumont
IC. Clarke Jacobs McDonald Swallow
Emg. Garner Turner Pick 11 (Venables I hope:))

I am really concerned with Thompson at CHB.
I have left out Waite as Wood Daw and Brown as this is our tall forward line for the next 5 years I hope so why not just get games into them playing together.
I really don't like putting Swallow Cunnington and Ziebell in the same midfield but it is what we have and I can't see Bard not picking one of them to get games into
Notice a lot of posts have The Beatle making the starting 22 in a pocket.

He's that close is he?

Genuine question as I didn't' get to any Werribee games last season.
The Beatle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back