Preview R1 v Gold Coast | Metricon Stadium | 6:55pm ACDT | 21 March 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't know how we did it but we won both of our preseason games. The Suns also happened to win both of their preseason games.

Unclear if Dicko or Lycett will be available for this one.

Thoughts?

Probably should be mentioned the Suns' leading goal kicker from last year, Alex Sexton, hurt his hamstring last night and could very well miss this game. On the flip side, they are likely to welcome back ruckman Jarrod Witts and debut number 1 pick Matt Rowell, number 2 pick Noah Anderson and 2018 number 3 pick Izak Rankine.

Also, we're undefeated at Metricon Stadium.

I don't know how we did it but we won both of our preseason games. The Suns also happened to win both of their preseason games.

Unclear if Dicko or Lycett will be available for this one.

Thoughts?

I will have thoughts after the bye.

----
P.S.: Where's the preview picking list? Round 23 is mine!

Probably should be mentioned the Suns' leading goal kicker from last year, Alex Sexton, hurt his hamstring last night and could very well miss this game. On the flip side, they are likely to welcome back ruckman Jarrod Witts and debut number 1 pick Matt Rowell, number 2 pick Noah Anderson and 2018 number 3 pick Izak Rankine.

Also, we're undefeated at Metricon Stadium.
Yes I agree , all this focus on Sexton potentially being out, we don’t know yet, is one thing, but the players they have to bring in is another thing entirely.
They will have plenty of energy and enthusiasm too in the first few games for sure and this one is at home.
I wouldn’t write them off too easily.

Just curious who will play on King? Suns will go most probably with 2 talls - King and the second one is toss up between Day and Wright. Probably Wright as he is better in ruck.

We'll win but it won't be easy.

Just curious who will play on King? Suns will go most probably with 2 talls - King and the second one is toss up between Day and Wright. Probably Wright as he is better in ruck.

McKenzie. He’s our answer to our defensive woes, through no fault of his own.

How bad would you have to be to have not beaten Port in 9 years, holy s**t.

They also haven't beaten the Crows ever. Although if they play them up at Metricon this year I suspect that might finally change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I agree , all this focus on Sexton potentially being out, we don’t know yet, is one thing, but the players they have to bring in is another thing entirely.
They will have plenty of energy and enthusiasm too in the first few games for sure and this one is at home.
I wouldn’t write them off too easily.
While we're on the topic, it's possible the Suns will bring back Harbrow as well who will make sure Mots/Rozee earn their goals. I think I'm more worried about the ruck department considering Lycett may not play and the Suns will play Witts who set the all-time record for hitouts last year with 1008 for the season (average of 45.8 hitouts per game). Ladhams has played just five games and has averaged just 14 hitouts a game so that potential matchup looks like it could be a massacre. If the Suns get on top in the clearances with their new look midfield including former Crow Greenwood, former two-time premiership Tiger Ellis, number 1 draft pick Rowell, number 2 draft pick Anderson, 2010 number 1 draft pick Swallow, 2016 number 4 pick Ainsworth, 2016 number 9 pick Brodie and 2016 number 10 pick Bowes then we're in big trouble. There's an undeniable amount of midfield talent there that could start clicking at any moment and I didn't even mention Jack Lukosius or Ben King...

The biggest takeaway from their preseason games (according to the media) is the constant pressure they put on their opponents throughout the Marsh series and the high tackle count caused lots of turnovers that they were able to turn into scoring opportunities. I'd like to say I'm confident about winning this one but I'm not. Fingers crossed Dicko and Lycett get up for this one and raise my spirits a bit.

I have a feeling that Gold Coast round one is going to be a bit like Carlton v Richmond every year.

Young team performs well pre season and gets hyped up for round 1 only to get spanked by 10 goals.

P.s. Gold Coast are the young team.

But hey I'm just a pessimist who isn't a real Port supporter.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

How bad would you have to be to have not beaten Port in 9 years, holy s**t.
They are paying for us being the first team to lose to them.

The Dam is going to burst at some time. Resorting by lowesting winning percentage against all teams.

1583639099450.png

2 home games v Port includes 2 GC "home"games in China where we have belted them.

1583639243156.png

While we're on the topic, it's possible the Suns will bring back Harbrow as well who will make sure Mots/Rozee earn their goals. I think I'm more worried about the ruck department considering Lycett may not play and the Suns will play Witts who set the all-time record for hitouts last year with 1008 for the season (average of 45.8 hitouts per game). Ladhams has played just five games and has averaged just 14 hitouts a game so that potential matchup looks like it could be a massacre. If the Suns get on top in the clearances with their new look midfield including former Crow Greenwood, former two-time premiership Tiger Ellis, number 1 draft pick Rowell, number 2 draft pick Anderson, 2010 number 1 draft pick Swallow, 2016 number 4 pick Ainsworth, 2016 number 9 pick Brodie and 2016 number 10 pick Bowes then we're in big trouble. There's an undeniable amount of midfield talent there that could start clicking at any moment and I didn't even mention Jack Lukosius or Ben King...

The biggest takeaway from their preseason games (according to the media) is the constant pressure they put on their opponents throughout the Marsh series and the high tackle count caused lots of turnovers that they were able to turn into scoring opportunities. I'd like to say I'm confident about winning this one but I'm not. Fingers crossed Dicko and Lycett get up for this one and raise my spirits a bit.

You are underselling Ladhams a bit. In his five games Ladhams played as second string to Paddy Ryder and Scott Lycett. In fact in one game Lycett had 42 hit outs so Ladhams wasn't called on to do much.

Would undo everything if we lose. Would undo all the hope we have been selling.

We simply can’t lose to them, I can’t see us losing to them unless we go in over confident

I’m thinking 60pt win

i remember that game for the bullshit Hartlett suspension
I'd forgotten about that - I just remember Westhoff's ill-fated shot after the siren. Heaven help us if history repeats, and he finds himself in the same position in round one: I'm not sure I'd be able to watch the kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back