Lock down on:
Michie - Martin
Jones - Cotchin - at stoppages
Cross - Ellis

Inside:
Vince, Tyson, Brayshaw, vandenBerg v Grigg, Miles, Gordon, Arnot
Outside:
Lumumba, Newton v McIntosh, Hunt

Actually a big out because now we're a man short when it comes to defending Hogan/Watts/Dawes.

Sure Batchelor will take Watts but he's giving away a good 8 cm's there.

Don't worry, Dawes will * things up for Hogan nicely.

Their backline surprises me. Either Grimes or Batch to Watts should be exploited by him.

Should.
No Grimes for them. So either Batchelor or Astbury. Batchelor makes more sense on Watts but he's played on Dawes before. Astbury does seem the better fit for Dawes. I'd don't know how Watts is meant to exploit him. Speed maybe? Smarts, I don't know. Get up the ground and beat him for work rate.

Dawes will need to rest when not in the ruck. So probably play a deeper role. Watts to be both deep and up the ground. But it's Hogan's job to own the forward line between 30-70 whilst playing on a heck of a defender. Particularly if it's a wet night the smalls have to kick the goals.

Actually a big out because now we're a man short when it comes to defending Hogan/Watts/Dawes.

Dawes will have to ruck and you've played Batchelor on him before he can do that job. Or you can play him on Watts. Watts doesn't use those 8cm at all, so I wouldn't worry. You can put Vlastuin on Watts if you wanted and he'd do the job.

Midfield battle I'd say:
Lock down on:
Michie - Martin
Jones - Cotchin - at stoppages
Cross - Ellis

Inside:
Vince, Tyson, Brayshaw, vandenBerg v Grigg, Miles, Gordon, Arnot
Outside:
Lumumba, Newton v McIntosh, Hunt

I think you'd need Cross on Martin. Someone with a bit of strength to go with him in contests and who won't be at sea in the backline getting marks taken on him if Martin drifts forward. No idea whether Michie can do that.

Yeah, Chaplin out is good for us. Not only from a match up pov but he's one of your mature heads down back.

No Grimes for them. So either Batchelor or Astbury. Batchelor makes more sense on Watts but he's played on Dawes before. Astbury does seem the better fit for Dawes. I'd don't know how Watts is meant to exploit him. Speed maybe? Smarts, I don't know. Get up the ground and beat him for work rate.

Dawes will need to rest when not in the ruck. So probably play a deeper role. Watts to be both deep and up the ground. But it's Hogan's job to own the forward line between 30-70 whilst playing on a heck of a defender. Particularly if it's a wet night the smalls have to kick the goals.
Speed. Batch is like treacle. And around the ground.

I think you'd need Cross on Martin. Someone with a bit of strength to go with him in contests and who won't be at sea in the backline getting marks taken on him if Martin drifts forward. No idea whether Michie can do that.
He can. He's 185cm and 85kg. Strong boy. Crossy has lost a yard so defends better on his wing than going in to the mix in the midfield. Michie only has to watch Martin go forward until he can swap over to Garland, much as Viney did with Ablett.

The reality is if Martin drifts forward from the midfield there isn't a midfielder who can stop him. And if he's playing forward then Garland's got a shot but even then he might kick 1 or 2. Just about stopping supply if he's out of the midfield.

vdB is good for 10 touches a quarter when he's got the energy, I'd suggest he's going to be the sub to really make an impact on the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope (I know it won't happen) that umpires actually call Dustin Martin for his "Don't argues", every single time it's just a push directly into the face of his opponent.

People rave about how it's "the best in the business" but if it's umpired correctly it's a free against him every single time.

Good to see Viv in - he'll go alright. Not too many Freo supporters thought he wouldn't make a good AFL footballer - was just unlucky in his timing with us.

25 named and no Jones, Bail, Jordie, Terlich. Progress. :thumbsu:
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching league teams on fox footy. We certainly look starting to resemble an afl team without those very good vfl players. Anways I'm hoping for this change Jack Watts round 3 vs Adelaide for Jack Watts Round 14 2011 vs Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back