Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Malcom Turnbull's internet was sh*t for the senate inquiry of Murdoch press it was quite possibly Australia's biggest act of irony since making good convicts police.

That being said the ******* up of the NBN should go down as an all time blunder, We should have fiber to the home and fast speeds.

Fiber to the curb, fiber to the node , F.A. differerence.
Yes you can get faster internet in Uzbekistan, .....yes you need to be a drug dealer to afford it.

The Internet in much of the USA is worse than ours, which isn't to say that we have bettter internet than Wall street.

If you have fiber to the node, and you need it to the house for some reason, PAY THE MONEY. If its just to watch Netflix get over it.

If you have fiber to the node, and you need it to the house for some reason, PAY THE MONEY. If its just to watch Netflix get over it.
Lol, the country could've had FTTN for less than what it cost them to roll out the NBN. We shouldn't have to pay thousands for something that could've been installed at no cost.

I know I'm not allowed to talk politics but I've just got to comment at how good the absurdist comedy that is federal politics. Morrison's climate summit with his breaking up NBN service so he couldn't stream his Zoom meeting. Fricken gold comedy. Then that consent video that takes abstract thinking and adds a little psychedelic drugs and some christian values. Oh my god, it's worth having sh*t politicians just to get to watch it. And then Albo with his whiny lispy voice trying to look tough as well, he's about as electable as the Covid virus. At least it keeps those kind of people off our street and contained in Canberra.

All the streaming is killing the internet.
Free to air TV and then the Foxtel cables, and especially the dishes weren't sucking up internet bandwidth.
Suddenly we are all entitled to being able to stream 4 different tv shows at the same time.

There aren't a lot of cables going from Aus to the USA

Lol, the country could've had FTTN for less than what it cost them to roll out the NBN. We shouldn't have to pay thousands for something that could've been installed at no cost.

The "NBN" is a mix of connection types. The guy in Bourk hasn't got the same infrastructure as the guy in Collins Street.

The "NBN" is a mix of connection types. The guy in Bourk hasn't got the same infrastructure as the guy in Collins Street.
You know what I mean. And your post is exactly what I mean.

All the streaming is killing the internet.
Free to air TV and then the Foxtel cables, and especially the dishes weren't sucking up internet bandwidth.
Suddenly we are all entitled to being able to stream 4 different tv shows at the same time.

There aren't a lot of cables going from Aus to the USA

But they knew it was coming. It was terrible planning and a waste of money. They aren't alone in s**t government planning though.

Fiber to the curb, fiber to the node , F.A. differerence.
Yes you can get faster internet in Uzbekistan, .....yes you need to be a drug dealer to afford it.

The Internet in much of the USA is worse than ours, which isn't to say that we have bettter internet than Wall street.

For a supposed first world nation our internet is ranked in the 60s

The LNP ****ed the NBN for Murdoch, Billions wasted for the whims of a seppo traitor.

Rudd's NBN would have taken this nation to the next level but we still have to live in the past, Murdoch and Old media had their racket continue though, * the future and my generation though :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

We have FTTN or FTTC. Tell me how it could cost less.
Before there was NBN , my friend had a problem with his Telstra line, they had to cut his driveway and run a new underground line to fix it.
But that should have been free apparently.

Seriously how could it have cost less, to run new lines into everyone's house. The whole story is bullshit, and most people have no reason to have such fast internet anyway.
Why should the government pay so you can stream more movies or play video games more competatively.

We have FTTN or FTTC. Tell me how it could cost less.
Before there was NBN , my friend had a problem with his Telstra line, they had to cut his driveway and run a new underground line to fix it.
But that should have been free apparently.

Seriously how could it have cost less, to run new lines into everyone's house. The whole story is bullshit, and most people have no reason to have such fast internet anyway.
Why should the government pay so you can stream more movies or play video games more competatively.
Such an ignorant view hahaha. To think the only use for bandwidth and speed is to play video games and watch movies.

It's pretty common knowledge now that the initial rollout plan by Labor would've ended up costing far, far less than the cost of the current setup when you take into consideration the cost for network maintenance, faults, and general upkeep.

You are right when you say NBN is a mix of different connections. That's the problem with it. It shouldn't have to be a mix, and if done properly the first time would've cost less overall.

All the Libs wanted to do is roll it out for as cheap as they could, the hilarity in it is that it's now cost them well beyond the budget that Labor had outlined because of all the problems with it. It's an absolutely rubbish service.

In 2013, the Liberals promised their inferior multi-technology mix would cost $29.5 billion. That increased to $41 billion in 2014, to $49 billion in 2016, and to $51 billion in 2018.

It would've cost them $10 billion less if they just did it properly. And the tax payer will bear the brunt of this amateur rollout in a climate that now requires higher bandwidth and better connectivity more than ever with the increase in people working permanently from home or people working from home more than before. There is a huge demand for the service now, and irrespective of COVID, the technology should be built with future-proofing in mind.

Last edited:
Such an ignorant view hahaha. To think the only use for bandwidth and speed is to play video games and watch movies.

It's pretty common knowledge now that the initial rollout plan by Labor would've ended up costing far, far less than the cost of the current setup when you take into consideration the cost for network maintenance, faults, and general upkeep.

You are right when you say NBN is a mix of different connections. That's the problem with it. It shouldn't have to be a mix, and if done properly the first time would've cost less overall.

All the Libs wanted to do is roll it out for as cheap as they could, the hilarity in it is that it's now cost them well beyond the budget that Labor had outlined because of all the problems with it. It's an absolutely rubbish service.

In 2013, the Liberals promised their inferior multi-technology mix would cost $29.5 billion. That increased to $41 billion in 2014, to $49 billion in 2016, and to $51 billion in 2018.

It would've cost them $10 billion less if they just did it properly.

Sure, install fiber cables through the outback. Same technology everywhere. Call me ignorant, i'll call you dumb as dogshit. hahaha

You call it common knowledge , i call it bullshit.

If you want to install a cable to your house you need to dig a ditch from the connection point to your house. Bullshit all you like, the guy digging the ditch wants money for it.
If you have a valid business case for faster internet than the fairly fast NBN, you can afford to pay to make it faster simple.
If you are a private user, don't go expecting one of the most sparsely populated continents to have the same infrastructure as great Britain.

Sure, install fiber cables through the outback. Same technology everywhere. Call me ignorant, i'll call you dumb as dogshit.

If you want to install a cable to your house you need to dig a ditch from the connection point to your house. Bullshit all you like, the guy digging the ditch wants money for it.
If you have a valid business case for faster internet than the fairly fast NBN, you can afford to pay to make it faster simple.
If you are a private user, don't go expecting one of the most sparsely populated continents to have the same infrastructure as great Britain.
Lol, I worked for 7 years in telecommunications. It doesn't really matter how difficult you think it is because the facts remain the same. They rolled out a shoddy, cheap, amateur service and have now paid more rolling that service out than what they would have if they did it properly.

Dunno what you're so worked up over, this is all easily accessible information to find.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, I worked for 7 years in telecommunications. It doesn't really matter how difficult you think it is because the facts remain the same. They rolled out a shoddy, cheap, amateur service and have now paid more rolling that service out than what they would have if they did it properly.

Dunno what you're so worked up over, this is all easily accessible information to find.

So you're one of those who put crappy connections in pits full of water with a plastic bag over the shonky bits?

Explain to me in real terms , how you would connect your optic fibre to the house cheaper than to the node?

It would've cost them $10 billion less if they just did it properly. And the tax payer will bear the brunt of this amateur rollout in a climate that now requires higher bandwidth and better connectivity more than ever with the increase in people working permanently from home or people working from home more than before. There is a huge demand for the service now, and irrespective of COVID, the technology should be built with future-proofing in mind.
We cant have Australia thinking 10/20/30/50 years down the line though

How else will legacy companies get profit, * the people there is money to steal from us.

So you're one of those who put crappy connections in pits full of water with a plastic bag over the shonky bits?

Explain to me in real terms , how you would connect your optic fibre to the house cheaper than to the node?
They still come out and cable to the pits. It would probably not cost much different. Still just wasted money. My NBN is worse than the ADSL 2 and costs twice as much. It’s inconsistent and not up to task. Honestly I would have rather pay more and got something better. It drives me insane.

You aren't understanding the point I'm making. From memory Labor said a proper rollout would cost $51B. Liberals said they could do it for half the price ($29.5B). That figure then moved to $51B three years ago and has been increasing since. As everyone knows, when you buy something cheap you should expect it to have some kind of issue. Well in this case the costs have ballooned out well past Labor's original $51B plan because of the constant cost to maintain the amateur network, to repair it, to address faults within it, and in some cases to replace existing cabling that has been there for 50 years. Cabling that sits in a pit that those connected to will have their service drop out if it's raining. This is the kind of service that has cost us more than what it would've cost if done properly the first time. And no, I'm not an NBN technician, what made you think that?

If you are talking specifically about pricing of connections yes you are right it's more expensive but that's what is discussed when formulating a budget and it doesn't matter anyway because the total cost for the entire rollout has now been more expensive than it would've given the reasons mentioned above.

We cant have Australia thinking 10/20/30/50 years down the line though

How else will legacy companies get profit, fu** the people there is money to steal from us.
It's so funny to me that people will just sit and accept that kind of infrastructure.

They still come out and cable to the pits. It would probably not cost much different. Still just wasted money. My NBN is worse than the ADSL 2 and costs twice as much. It’s inconsistent and not up to task. Honestly I would have rather pay more and got something better. It drives me insane.
Fibre to the premise is three times more expensive than to the node, so it is quite remarkable how even with that fact, the Libs have managed to still spend more on this amateur network than Labor would've. It's actually quite impressive.

Sure, install fiber cables through the outback. Same technology everywhere. Call me ignorant, i'll call you dumb as dogshit. hahaha

Just in case you have been under a rock the past year, Covid kind of changed how people actually work, and most of us normal folk have done so from home locations which can be, you know, kind of random in regards to connection types and who has what plans without then the business support of an office environment because you know, residential, not an office.

That telecommunications in a digital age is not being treated similar to say roads or rail in this country is astounding, but at the same time it's really not.

But hey, roads are 1970's give or take, so here's to 2071 when maybe, yeah nah, lets talk some more?

Fibre to the premise is three times more expensive than to the node, so it is quite remarkable how even with that fact, the Libs have managed to still spend more on this amateur network than Labor would've. It's actually quite impressive.

I don't want to get into the politics of it but it was a massive fail. This was the biggest public project since the Snowy River Hydro project and more expensive and doesn't work to an expected standard. Who ever came up with it should be removed from the pubic service. Hopefully some heads rolled for it. I'm on my third provider and went to Telstra hoping someone could provide speeds like I had with ADSL2, I have a family plan and it barely keeps up with one on it. I'm in a semi permanent state of tech-rage from it. I'm meant to get 50mbps but sometimes drops down to 2 mbps for no reason.

My brother in law has an IT company, they moved buildings a couple of years ago and just up the street from where they are. The new building still has a Telstra non NBN cable and is much better than the NBN that they had before in the other place. He's going to keep it until it is forced upon him. He said other companies that have switched have lost access for weeks as well. It's so ridiculously bad.

I can’t imagine why anyone would argue against a future proofed Internet service after the failures we saw in 2020. Argue all you want about how it was streaming entertainment that caused the issues - it doesn’t matter what caused them.
Why anyone would advocate for a return to FTA television is beyond me.

This iteration of the NBN is going to cost even more because eventually they’re going to need to replace the copper cables with fiber, eventually the rollout will resemble Labors initial idea (and no, that doesn’t include those who are significantly remote - they were always getting satellite) and when the second stage rollout of fiver upgrades happens - the cost will go through the roof.

Should have done it right the first time. It would have been significantly cheaper and our Internet wouldn’t be on par with third world countries.
Anyway, if I remember rightly they’re already moving towards upgrading those on FTTN to FTTP for free soon.
I’m one of the lucky ones who does get 100mbps on FTTN, but in 10 years there is a good chance even that speed will be obsolete.

Just in case you have been under a rock the past year, Covid kind of changed how people actually work, and most of us normal folk have done so from home locations which can be, you know, kind of random in regards to connection types and who has what plans without then the business support of an office environment because you know, residential, not an office.

That telecommunications in a digital age is not being treated similar to say roads or rail in this country is astounding, but at the same time it's really not.

But hey, roads are 1970's give or take, so here's to 2071 when maybe, yeah nah, lets talk some more?

I saw a document written in the late 80s saying that the Victorian copper network was outdated and needed replacing with OF. They were already predicting sending video through the phone networks then and were going to future proof it if the architects had their way. ******* idiots kept kicking the can down the road for the next lot. Politicians have no interest in the public good any more. It's all about looking good on their own watch and having a balanced set of books for the media.

Australia's future infrastructure requirements are way too important to allow them to be decided by the thought bubble of a politician who's primary objective is to get re-elected in 3 years time.

NBN, Snowy Hydro 2, the nonsense Pan Australian gas pipeline, NAIF - the list goes on and on and on.

Infrastructure Australia should decide the priorities and the govt provide the money.

I can’t imagine why anyone would argue against a future proofed Internet service after the failures we saw in 2020. Argue all you want about how it was streaming entertainment that caused the issues - it doesn’t matter what caused them.
Why anyone would advocate for a return to FTA television is beyond me.

This iteration of the NBN is going to cost even more because eventually they’re going to need to replace the copper cables with fiber, eventually the rollout will resemble Labors initial idea (and no, that doesn’t include those who are significantly remote - they were always getting satellite) and when the second stage rollout of fiver upgrades happens - the cost will go through the roof.

Should have done it right the first time. It would have been significantly cheaper and our Internet wouldn’t be on par with third world countries.
Anyway, if I remember rightly they’re already moving towards upgrading those on FTTN to FTTP for free soon.
I’m one of the lucky ones who does get 100mbps on FTTN, but in 10 years there is a good chance even that speed will be obsolete.

I want to move in. I sometimes have to use my phone as a hotspot and get off wifi so my pages actually load like the old days.

Australia's future infrastructure requirements are way too important to allow them to be decided by the thought bubble of a politician who's primary objective is to get re-elected in 3 years time.

NBN, Snowy Hydro 2, the nonsense Pan Australian gas pipeline, NAIF - the list goes on and on and on.

Infrastructure Australia should decide the priorities and the govt provide the money.

Unless they came up with the schemes....in that case they should be stuck in off shore detention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back