Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At $300, 000 a horn shouldn't we be farming them?
Long gestation period, which is why the poaching is such an issue, they can't replace numbers quick enough.

They could dehorn the ones they keep in captivity, but it's unlikely that a legitimate conservation effort would sell the horns, it only promotes poaching as it keeps the industry going, unless there was enough to saturate the market, which there wouldn't be.

At $300, 000 a horn shouldn't we be farming them?
Watching a doco about the horns, the horns are made of the same material as our finger nails meaning if they are cut correctly, the horns can regrow (Elephant tusks can't be regrown). The issue atm is poachers are hacking them off and they end up dying from their injuries/predators killing them.

Watching a doco about the horns, the horns are made of the same material as our finger nails meaning if they are cut correctly, the horns can regrow (Elephant tusks can't be regrown). The issue atm is poachers are hacking them off and they end up dying from their injuries/predators killing them.
Think its roughly a 3-4 yr turn around for full regrowth.

Poachers just don't think they'll ever get a shot at the same Rhino again so they go the easy way of removing it by cutting deep.

But yeah, having studied conservation I find the idea really interesting.

With the right things put in place theres zero risk for Australian flora and fauna, this isn't like the Cane Toads where they can breed thousands of animals in a year and escape captivity.

It also provides a MUCH safer population of breeding animals than what exists in their native countries.

For mine, I'd love to see it, especially with breeds like the NW Rhino down to 2 living specimens.

But yeah, having studied conservation I find the idea really interesting.

With the right things put in place theres zero risk for Australian flora and fauna, this isn't like the Cane Toads where they can breed thousands of animals in a year and escape captivity.

It also provides a MUCH safer population of breeding animals than what exists in their native countries.

For mine, I'd love to see it, especially with breeds like the NW Rhino down to 2 living specimens.
And both female I believe with the last male dieing not long ago. They have frozen semen from males to artificially inseminate.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Ben Harper tonight (2nd row from front) in Brisbane. Absolute legend.
Lucky campaigner!

Faded
Burn one down
The woman in you

So many good songs and usually does great covers too.

My favourite though is his duo with Vanessa Da Mata - Boa Sorte

Yeah, especially considering last week 7 died during transportation to another part of S. Africa. Not sure enough care is being taken(worldwide) to preserve the wildlife in Africa.

Its ******* criminal what they do to rhinos for their horns. Very, very saddening.

It is awful, and I’m not advocating poaching- BUT put yourself in the people that are doing this shoes, what would you be willing to do in their situation? Would you kill an animal if it fed your family? Would you kill an animal if it meant you could put a roof over your family at night when there’s no other options? Especially considering these people have probably done it for as long as Tiwi Islanders have eaten turtles.

Also it’s not just wildlife in Africa that’s being wiped out. The earth, thanks to us humans are currently experiencing the worst spate of species die-offs since the loss of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

And hey, guess what country holds the throne for killing off fauna........AUSTRALIA

It is awful, and I’m not advocating poaching- BUT put yourself in the people that are doing this shoes, what would you be willing to do in their situation? Would you kill an animal if it fed your family? Would you kill an animal if it meant you could put a roof over your family at night when there’s no other options? Especially considering these people have probably done it for as long as Tiwi Islanders have eaten turtles.

Also it’s not just wildlife in Africa that’s being wiped out. The earth, thanks to us humans are currently experiencing the worst spate of species die-offs since the loss of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

And hey, guess what country holds the throne for killing off fauna........AUSTRALIA

But look at the species we farm - from wheat to cattle they thrive. So Rhinos might be better off till they get their numbers up...

Pretty much agree with everything you typed too. They haven't poached Rhino's for that long tho. But many of them don't have alot of other options. The money isn't made by the poachers but by the middlemen - like most things, especially illegal ones.

But look at the species we farm - from wheat to cattle they thrive. So Rhinos might be better off till they get their numbers up...

Pretty much agree with everything you typed too. They haven't poached Rhino's for that long tho. But many of them don't have alot of other options. The money isn't made by the poachers but by the middlemen - like most things, especially illegal ones.

And the buyers on the end that believe that the content will have some life altering impact.

Lucky campaigner!

Faded
Burn one down
The woman in you

So many good songs and usually does great covers too.

My favourite though is his duo with Vanessa Da Mata - Boa Sorte

As mentioned above he was playing with Charlie Musselwhite so was blues show and didn't play his normal hits. Still an awesome night.

Walk away is my all time favourite Ben song. Years ago I broke up with a girl and played that song about 100 times to help me get over it.

I like the stuff he does with Charlie, who is one of my all time faves. I play a bit of harmonica on and off. Nothing special but its a great instrument to play. I love the way he plays it. And he's worked with some amazing artists from John Lee Hooker to Tom Waites and anyone who was anyone in the Chicago blues scene of the 50s.

Ben Harper is great too. There are some really good vids on youtube of the two of them just playing blues:

And the buyers on the end that believe that the content will have some life altering impact.

It's the buyers who are the root of the problem. Responsibility lies with those who provide a market. Do an effective job dissuading people from buying ivory, and poaching for ivory stops. Problem is, the species will be gone first. We move too slow, humanity. Ferball's idea has some merit. ( Edit: I mean relocating some to a safer place in order to preserve the species, not farming them for supplying the ivory market)

Last edited:
Have read that article, it also claims that the US has only lost one animal. Which is a load of s**t, I can name 5 off the top of my head.
US has 6 times as many extinct species at 240ish vs our 40.

We're actually 4th and have been for a long while (source IUCN)

The reason our numbers are high is due to the incredible biodiversity we have here compared to other countries. One small thing can have a knock on effect to far more animals than the same small thing would in another country.

Not saying that excuses the higher mortality but smaller things have larger effects on extinction rates here, theres a larger conservation effort in Australia than many many countries, but it's harder to have a positive impact with all the work thats done than it is for an invasive species to cause damage.

Edit: Having managed to dig up the original source article, Australia leads the world in Mammal extinction (according to the ACF) which was erroneously quoted by NatGeo, this is completely different to leading the world in extinction numbers.
In regard to mammals in Australia, a large concentration of mammals make their homes in the same places as humans, due to the inhospitable nature of 90% of the Australian continent. It's disingenuous to compare it to America as the article has, as the conditions are nowhere similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back