Roast Random whipping boy after a loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long demented angsty whinge about current whipping boy who had a bad few minutes and screwed something up.

Demented cranky rant about coaches and match committee for continuing to play said whipping boy.

Sakc coaches, match committee and delist all the so called spuds at the end of the year...

Am I doing it right?

Long demented angsty whinge about current whipping boy who had a bad few minutes and screwed something up.

Demented cranky rant about coaches and match committee for continuing to play said whipping boy.

Sakc coaches, match committee and delist all the so called spuds at the end of the year...

Am I doing it right?

Gentle reminder...

Yeah pretty insipid and stupid blaming Lucas I can pick at least 10 other instances which were equally bad. Judd, Gibbs & Murphy 60% DE in a big game was one of them.

Let's face it, everyone one likes a good excuse to explain why things go wrong. It's natural and makes us feel good about ourselves because we can shift the blame.

But when we look at the Carlton side I think we are generally brimming with confidence that the side is moving in the right direction and at a good rate of knots. Malthouse has already proved that he can implement a game plan that the players can understand and implement. He comes across as being a positive and rational voice, both in the media and from all reports behind closed doors as well.

The players seem to like and respect Malthouse and, to me at least, he appears to be getting more out of individuals and the team as a whole on a consistent basis than Ratten did.

Sure we are losing some games that a genuine top 4 team would be able to close-out, but that is because we are working towards becoming a genuine top 4 team. No-one is claiming we are there yet, and similarly no-one appears to be shying away from responsibility or the determnation required to get there in the near future.

Players who continue to underperform, or not do the required things of them, or players who continually buckle under pressure, will not remain whipping boys for long. What will happen is that they will play in the 2nds or be delisted and the club will move steadily onwards towards the next flag tilt.

As has been painted many times, Malthouse plays the father-figure coach. His ability to nuture growth in his players is one of his major strengths. To my eyes there appears to be only player who would justifiably feel he is getting the cold shoulder and that is Jeremy Laidler. Pre-injuries he was absolutely invaluable to the Carlton team, and at his best, is less strong that White but twice the footballer. From what I've seen of Laidler in the 2nds he has done some good things in the forward line, without being able to influence the game consistently over 4 quarters. If Laidler can force his way back into the seniors he will be a genuine trump card with his new found swing-man status. I genuinely hope it works out for him, as it would be a real pity to lose him.

The others that are not getting consistent games games, or getting confused messages:

Watson: busting his gut to get a senior gig and stepping up as aleader in the process
Casboult: busting his gut ten times over, showing real progress
Yarran: a prodigious talent who hasn't quite settled into his AFL career
Warnock: suffering from too mant ruckman
Hampson: suffering from too mant ruckman and inability to be a genuine forward
Rowe: will never give up, but only time will tell if he's AFL standard

Menzl: young player under development, but getting some game time
Bootsma: young player under development, but getting some game time
Bell: young player under development, but getting some game time
Buckley: young player under development, but getting some game time

McCarthy: young player taking a long time to develop
Mitchell: young player taking a long time to develop
Dale: will be given another year to prove his worth

Duigan: sun has probably set on his AFL career
Davies: sun has probably set on his AFL career
Joseph: sun has probably set on his AFL career
Collins: sun has probably set on his AFL career
Ellard: plagued by injury in the last year of his contract
O'Keefe: plagued by injury... again

So what I'm saying is that 2013 Carlton appears to have shed the need to look for excuses. We are now happy to accept failure as part of the road forward to success... Whipping boys are for sado-masochists, and Malthouse is not that perverse.

Am I doing it right?
Watch the replay mate you have NFI !!

momentum is a funny thing. Good teams know how to stop it when they don't have it and use it when they do have it. We had a lot of players that didn't use it when we had it but more importantly we had players who couldn't stop momentum when it was going the other way.

The whipping boys in this instance where the ones that didn't take the opportunity to stop the pep dopers momentum by utilizing simple footy skills at key moments of the game.

Easier to blame one or to players than to point out the fact that the team as a whole stopped running both ways in the last quarter - when people to talk 'lapses' - it is PC speak for bludging. Carlton has too many blokes who don't want to run for four quarters in both directions and can't be bothered doing that little bit extra for their mates when the pressure is on and the game is to be won or lost.

How to maintain a lead in a tough match requires a genuine team resolve - and leadership on field. When your lose a quarter like we did - look to your lack of leadership from senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back