Preview Rd 16 - Sydney Swans vs WC Eagles @ GAGF Stadium, Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy with that.

With the names likely to return, safe to say that Blakey needs to impress. He cannot ease himself back into form, he has to find it straight away and make a statement or he'll be right back on the outs again. Good luck to him.

Also being without our two young mids means it's Hewett time!!!!! *pops champagne*

COR stiff though as I felt he has really shown a lot more form in that back half role than Blakey, and deserved the spot more.

I understand he's older but if we're always gonna prioritise a kid over him why did we re-sign him for 3 years??

COR stiff though as I felt he has really shown a lot more form in that back half role than Blakey, and deserved the spot more.

I understand he's older but if we're always gonna prioritise a kid over him why did we re-sign him for 3 years??
COR at least will be sub, unless we do a Campbell and make Rowy the sub (I have no idea why we would do that again).

I would like McDonald to be back in the team. Sure he has quiet games but that is to be expected given his age. He needs to be in the team to learn and he is regularly able to kick 2 or so goals in a game.

Longmire is on record this week as saying he was getting two weeks off to manage him at present as he had already played more than they had planned.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why are our younger players so much more fragile than those in any other team? Either we're the only club doing the right thing, or every other club is managing their players alot better and actually able to keep them out on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is such a weird thing as when he has played in the seniors not once have I thought he was being out muscled, or that his strength was a serious concern.

The strength has nothing to do with what you see on game day and his ability to win or lose a contest.

They are referring to developing his body to cope with the training loads required to play week in and week out at senior level.

Lazy 5 changes for the Eagles, including bewilderingly bringing in Nathan Vardy on a wet windy day, when they already have NicNat and Allen.

View attachment 1169330
Having Vardy in allows Allen to stay fwd, rather than relief ruck and noticeable they've brought in a couple of small fwds in Langdon & Jones.

Get the ball in there take contested marks and if the ball comes to ground lock it in I presume is their thinking.

If the conditions are bad on the day they can always make a late chance.

Why are our younger players so much more fragile than those in any other team? Either we're the only club doing the right thing, or every other club is managing their players alot better and actually able to keep them out on the park.
I had a chat about this with a few friends & I have concluded that we have failed these kids with our programs we have put into them. We really fail at developing top young talent further & actually have turned some players into a shadow of what they were when we took them as raw talented draftees.
Stevens & Blakey the two currently failing to show any improvement on what they started as.
Campbell, Gulden & Warner have been stuffed up physically after starting so well.
It’s fair to say we have to have a really good look at whatever our system is with young guys.
It’s a fail of late. Maybe we are lacking the coaches due to the soft cap cut backs but it needs to be addressed now before other young players start wanting out or not be happy about coming to the Swans.

I had a chat about this with a few friends & I have concluded that we have failed these kids with our programs we have put into them. We really fail at developing top young talent further & actually have turned some players into a shadow of what they were when we took them as raw talented draftees.
Stevens & Blakey the two currently failing to show any improvement on what they started as.
Campbell, Gulden & Warner have been stuffed up physically after starting so well.
It’s fair to say we have to have a really good look at whatever our system is with young guys.
It’s a fail of late. Maybe we are lacking the coaches due to the soft cap cut backs but it needs to be addressed now before other young players start wanting out or not be happy about coming to the Swans.
robertdowneyjunior.jpg.

That is so funny I had tears in my eyes reading it.

Ask anyone associated with football in Melbourne (be that media or actually in a club) and they tell you 99% of the time that we develop and nurture young talent better than almost any other club.

That comment is so far from being correct it’s laughable.

There never used to be a multitude of key forwards 200cm plus who could run like the wind.

Leo Barry would be the attacking half back flanker he should've been if he played today, he would get that many chopping the arms free kicks against him. (thats no disrespect to the great man, just the way the game has gone)
If Razor or Stevic umpired the 2005 GF Leo’s mark would have been paid as a blocking free kick to West Coast.

Having Vardy in allows Allen to stay fwd, rather than relief ruck and noticeable they've brought in a couple of small fwds in Langdon & Jones.

Get the ball in there take contested marks and if the ball comes to ground lock it in I presume is their thinking.

If the conditions are bad on the day they can always make a late chance.
I understand what they'd be thinking, it just seems dumb. A forward line of Kennedy, Darling and Allen is going to struggle in poor conditions regardless. What they're doing now is locking that in since Allen won't be needed at all in the ruck, plus unless NicNat and Vardy play exactly 100% combined game time, which exacerbates their already underdone midfield being able to rotate/rest, one of those two will have to play somewhere other than ruck, likely up forward as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back