Preview Rd 22 vs Collingwood IN:Hooper,Young OUT:Birchall (hamstring), Hodge (knee)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just quietly, seeing our forward line matching up against the pies backline seems far less worrying than the pies forward line matching up on our backline.

We've got a very dangerous forward line there and if just half of them play out of their boots it will put us in with a very good chance of winning. Coming off the huge confidence boost of last weeks game (just having the opportunity to each slot a few goals) it seems likely. It's going to be an insanely exciting game either way! :D

Tbh i wouldnt mind resting some others too, i realy cant see us getting the home final even if we win, the Swans are certain to beat the Lions with out Brown.
Im more worried about injuries than winning....:(

If Carlton win on Friday night though then that's all we'll need for the home final.

We also have to win.

I thought i highlighted that in McD's post :confused:

He said "even if we win" from memory but then suggested we'd need the Swans to lose, but just the first two would be enough thankfully (though all 3 would be great to get us into the doggies half of the draw)

Am almost as excited about tomorrow nights game as I am about our own.

It's been over seven years since we beat a top eight team without Hodge :O

Although our opponent that day shares alot of qualities they will on Saturday :)

It's been over seven years since we beat a top eight team without Hodge :O

Although our opponent that day shares alot of qualities they will on Saturday :)
Though in round 8 2008 we beat the previous years runner up & gave them a 5 goal head start to boot.
All without Hodge, who had done his hammy at the beginning of the second half in the 65 point smashing we gave Collingwood in round 7. :thumbsu:

I'm not sure our best 22 has both Peterson and Hooper in the side. I think we are too short. Would rather see Schoenmakers instead of Hooper.

I'm not sure our best 22 has both Peterson and Hooper in the side. I think we are too short. Would rather see Schoenmakers instead of Hooper.

Hoops crumbs up around the forward line. We're not lacking in height there, and he is the ideal foil for Rioli who can now weave his magic in the midfiled with Hodgey not being available.

Peterson on the other hand can "leap tall buildings in a single bound"!

On paper, I think the side is perfect taking into account who is and is not available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoops crumbs up around the forward line. We're not lacking in height there, and he is the ideal foil for Rioli who can now weave his magic in the midfiled with Hodgey not being available.

Peterson on the other hand can "leap tall buildings in a single bound"!

On paper, I think the side is perfect taking into account who is and is not available.

Our backline lacks height. Skipper @ 194cm is also a fairly short ruckman. We have 3 tall players in the side (outside of Renouf & Skipper). I.e. Franklin, Roughead & Gilham. For balance I think we need at least one more.

Going to be a very interesting weekend of footy. Am really looking forward to it. It will be really interesting to see how the result of Friday night effects the mindset of the boys.

It would be great to have the extra motivation of just having to win.........to get a home final. I think if this was the case the Pies might be afraid of a brusing encounter and ease off a little. C'mon Hawks.

Our backline lacks height. Skipper @ 194cm is also a fairly short ruckman. We have 3 tall players in the side (outside of Renouf & Skipper). I.e. Franklin, Roughead & Gilham. For balance I think we need at least one more.

Agreed. Collingwood have Dawes 193cm, Cloke 196cm, Fraser 202cm and Jolly 200cm. We have Gilham 193cm, Gibson 189cm, Stratton 189cm and Murphy 189cm (but plays smaller). Depending on the weather, I think Schoey needs to replace either Peterson or Whitecross, but I'm doubtful it will happen.

Hooper is an X factor, quick, tackling pressure and can kick a goal or 2. As tall as Shoenmaker's is, you cannot have someone that everytime they get it, spot up an opposition player 20 mtrs away.

Sorry but Shoey has a very long way to go!!!

Include Hodge in Sat side for WhiteX and that is just about our best 22, maybe Brirchall and Ladson somewhere there??

This thread is in relation to Hawthorn vs. Collingwood.
Who are the giants in the Collingwood forward line that we need the extra height in the back line for?

This thread is in relation to Hawthorn vs. Collingwood.
Who are the giants in the Collingwood forward line that we need the extra height in the back line for?

Cloke is the main worry, and if Fraser and/or Jolly push forward regularly.

As per Herald Sun Teams:

FF Beams (186cm) Dawes (193) Sidebottom (180)
FB Murphy (189) Gilham (192) Guerra (182)

HF Macaffer (187) Cloke (196) Ball (183)
HB Stratton (189) Gibson (189) Whitecross (183) / Brown (178)

There's also McCarthy (189) and Thomas (185) that will spend time forward, but we can cover them for height.

Gibbo will be fine on Cloke, just needs to make sure he can run and jump and not get into strength contests.

NEWS ARTICLE - Hodge could have played this week!!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101277/default.aspx

"I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't pick him to be fair. He ran yesterday and was [fine]," Clarkson said from Waverley Park on Friday.

Is there still a chance we could play the great man, if the Blues happened to roll Freo tonight? I know we'd get fined but a home final as opposed to playing Sydney or Freo away would be worth the $20K.

If Hawks win this weekend, Swans beat Lions and Blues beat Freo, That has Hawks finishing 6th, Swans finishing 5th, Blues finishing 7th and Freo finishing 8th.
Does that mean Hawks v Freo here and Blues v Swans there?
I would love for us to play Freo here...:confused:

If Hawks win this weekend, Swans beat Lions and Blues beat Freo, That has Hawks finishing 6th, Swans finishing 5th, Blues finishing 7th and Freo finishing 8th.

5 v 8 & 6 v 7

MacD, for us to play Freo in Melbourne, we need wins to Carlton, Brisbane and Hawks, meaning ladder is:

5 - Hawthorn
6 - Carlton
7 - Sydney
8 - Freo

Unlikely, but possible.

So the only way for Hawks to play in Melb is for Blues to win and Hawks to win, then most likely Swans will win and they will play Freo.
So this is looking like a must win game if we are to avoid travelling, a loss and we could go to Sydney...:eek:

So the only way for Hawks to play in Melb is for Blues to win and Hawks to win, then most likely Swans will win and they will play Freo.
So this is looking like a must win game if we are to avoid travelling, a loss and we could go to Sydney...:eek:

Home final:

Hawthorn (win) + Sydney (loss) OR Fremantle (loss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back