Review Rd 9: Geelong defeats Saints by 21 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to say it... Atkins is a liability down back and he's not in our best 22.
Haha. Heart in mouth stuff when he has the ball. His turning circle gets him into trouble I think. Looks like he is falling over when he is running , weaves around and runs into opposition tackles. A tad concerning for sure!

Having watched now a replay of the final 3 qtrs of the game - my thoughts

Contrary to alot - i thought it was a pretty good game - StK brought finals like pressure with their tackling - put Geel right under the pump

I think if you know the result of the game - you can sit back and appreciate it - absorb it alot better

I dont think it was a lucky win at all - the 3 qtrs i watched Geel were the better team - had more polish - were never going to lose after half time

Cam Guthrie clearly best on the ground - by a mile - he will get the 10 coaches votes

Heard Harry Taylor a short while ago on the radio - he said Geel won the contested possession by 20 odd and the uncontested by 50 odd - and he said you win those 2 - you normally win the game - he did say StK took 14 marks in their forward half - that is a big number and a concern for the Cats

I thought Zac Guthrie played quite nicely - and he will keep his spot next week - definitely

Dont get the raving over Close game at all - and how some supporters gave him votes - he didnt have many possessions - he kicked 2 goals - he got a handpass from Sav - 15 minutes out from goal - big deal - the 2nd one - the Saints defender panicked - hand pass - deliberate out of bounds - hand pass - Close did kick a nice bannana - but that was about it . I think Miers ( when fit ) has still got the inside running - because he does Close for leg speed

Narkle who i had been bullish on - no he isnt quick enough - he was nearly the slowest bloke on the field - especially as the game wore on - his position come finals is the medical sub

I thought Joel was important after half time - he played like a Hawthorn midfielder of the 70s and 80s - how many times from ball ups - contested situations - how many times he won the ball - and just put it on the boot ( under pressure ) Geelongs way - and in a tight game like that - those metres gained were invaluable

Sav will keep the ruck spot - i like his o/head marking - and you have to remember StKilda have got good rucks

Rohan is in super form and he is flushing every kick

As Joel said after the game - and Harry Taylor said the same things - games at Docklands are so much quicker - unique to that stadium

So Geel get the win and the 4 pts and all is good

Close was very good despite the knockers. Narkle can really play but lacks a tank - a bit like Constable.

Clark showed real talent - the kick to Higgins, the smother, the handball and was instrumental in the victory. But apparently he's never allowed to make an error, despite being the youngest in the team. He's far superior to you know who.

We were lucky, let's face; I'm not sure I've seen a team miss so many easy set shots.

Someone needs to say it... Atkins is a liability down back and he's not in our best 22.

Was our worst last night by some margin. He’s played a few decent games for us this year but that was a horror show. The difference between his perceived ability and his actual ability is wide. Continues to try to do far too much with the footy and consequently gets pinged.

* The AFL has obviously instructed umpires to call anything close to 15m play on, as well as to hurry the man taking a kick after a mark. The umpires are trying to interpret this in line with the new instructions and it's wildly inconsistent and embarrassing.

After watching the Cats close out the game by short passing around the D50 milking the clock for the last 3 min.
Watching the Tigers stand around like statues may have been great viewing for Cat fans...
However for everyone else is was a prolonged anti climax.
I believe the AFl wants to stamp out this super short slow play to keep the game exciting.... till the final siren.
Is was an umpires directive this round and onward.... however expect a rule change next year.

How good is Isaac Smith. Great pick up by the Cats...
Ive never really wanted to throw up in my mouth more than when I heard we were deep into Smith,

Ill post it in the other thread but I was 100% wrong.

Apart from the obvious bile inducing reason - I thought he was cooked - which many on the Bile Board had also reflected so I kinda took their word for it.

Epic wrongness. He's been WAY better than I thought and his running work and delivery has been really a boost for us. Menegola looking ordinary in comparison this year.

GO Catters

ps - I was wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Smith has been great. And I wouldn't write Higgins off yet: he missed a few weeks and it's not as if everyone covered themselves in glory last night.

Atkins is a conundrum: he gets far more of the ball now he's in defence, but seems always under pressure. He doesn't really set up attacking moves.

Yes Smith has been great. And I wouldn't write Higgins off yet: he missed a few weeks and it's not as if everyone covered themselves in glory last night.

Atkins is a conundrum: he gets far more of the ball now he's in defence, but seems always under pressure. He doesn't really set up attacking moves.
That's because he is.
Because he's scrounging around and getting all those ground balls in the D50, surrounded by forwards trying to get them as well, and then trying to kill him when he beats them to it.
He gets more of them than anyone else in the team.
Or, to put it in another context, he gets more D50 ground balls than anyone else in the whole worldwide AFL.
So, yes, he is under pressure.

Given our lack of height down back and our reluctance to station Blicavs as a full time key defender could Ratugolea be that option. Stanley brings more as a ruckman and Ratugolea's spot in the team is questionable given we are well stocked for key forwards. He has the height and athleticism to play on the taller key forwards and defend the long high ball. I still think he looks a little lost our there and spending time behind the ball helps players read the play a little easier (particularly in our backline which traditionally sets up really well). I'm clueless if he has done any training down there but it could be an option that will see him stay in the team for the medium term. I agree with above calls on Atkins and to an extent Bews. While they bring glimpses of speed (which we collectively lack as a team) and a willingness to pressure, I still think they are low ceiling players. Ideally they would be replaced with players who are better ball users and calmer under pressure, while also maintaining that run. I like how Tuohy has went back to the defence, much more suited to that role than a roaming half forward nothing. I think Clark would benefit from that move as well, as he looks about as natural as a polar bear in Darwin in the forward line.

Atkins had 23 touches (9 contested) at 74% DE and had 9 intercepts, 3 more than the next highest on the ground (Hendo with 6). He isn't the most skilled player but he is hard at it, never gives up and always puts his body on the line despite giving up a fair few centimeters to most of the blokes around him.

Anyone who thinks he isn't best 22 straight up has no clue about football

Ive never really wanted to throw up in my mouth more than when I heard we were deep into Smith,

Ill post it in the other thread but I was 100% wrong.

Apart from the obvious bile inducing reason - I thought he was cooked - which many on the Bile Board had also reflected so I kinda took their word for it.

Epic wrongness. He's been WAY better than I thought and his running work and delivery has been really a boost for us. Menegola looking ordinary in comparison this year.

GO Catters

ps - I was wrong!
Yes he's been great. I couldn't stand him as a Hawk (of course) but he seems a ripper bloke and is full on a Cat now.

It has been mentioned a few times in this thread...and it is outside the scope of this thread, but what is going on with our young mids. Constable and Narkle, both TOG in the 60's? Is this them running out of steam (although they have been in the system a few years now, so this SHOULDN'T be an issue) or is it how they are being used? Is how we train our young mids the issue, not enough emphasis on endurance?

Surely if as the match committee have shown he can't be trusted then the next move has to be Fort. Has dominated in the 2s in an area of need and is big enough to be a threat at centre bounce.
Stanley is superior in every way.

I’m with you Stan. I thought he showed some signs early in the year but as the pressure has been turned up he gets caught too often.

Atkins had 23 touches (9 contested) at 74% DE and had 9 intercepts, 3 more than the next highest on the ground (Hendo with 6). He isn't the most skilled player but he is hard at it, never gives up and always puts his body on the line despite giving up a fair few centimeters to most of the blokes around him.

Anyone who thinks he isn't best 22 straight up has no clue about football
Oh well. I’ll cope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back